Looking to start creating mods

Ambiguous Impulse

Hi!

I've been playing ksp for a while and I am looking to start modding the game. That being said, I have little to no idea where to begin. The most I've done to change the game myself is make a custom flag. 

The end goal would be to create something similar to extra-planetary launch pads. That being said, I'm aware that I have nowhere near the proper amount of experience to attempt that (yet). Some things I'd like to know how to do:

1) How do I get into the game code and change it?

2) What programming languages do I need? I only know matlab and visual basic, but I can pick up a new one.

3) How do I go about creating parts? Is it possible to use CAD software, or do I need something less rigid? (e.g. blender)

4) How do I ensure that my part is incorporated in the game's physics engine?

If I've missed something incredibly obvious in how this all works, please point it out. 

Thanks!

@Ambiguous Impulse

1.) You don't, you interact with it

2.) C#, but C++, Lua, Python, Go, PHP, ... is possible as long as your write a wrapper for it in C#.

3.) CAD is possible ( @cxg2827 does it), but I recommend Blender or Wings 3D ( preferably Blender, just don't try to do everything at once)

4.) Unity editor and configs

Just first make a cylinder in Blender and I can guide you in the rest by PM

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 12:16 AM, Ambiguous Impulse said:

Hi!

I've been playing ksp for a while and I am looking to start modding the game. That being said, I have little to no idea where to begin. The most I've done to change the game myself is make a custom flag. 

The end goal would be to create something similar to extra-planetary launch pads. That being said, I'm aware that I have nowhere near the proper amount of experience to attempt that (yet). Some things I'd like to know how to do:

1) How do I get into the game code and change it?

2) What programming languages do I need? I only know matlab and visual basic, but I can pick up a new one.

3) How do I go about creating parts? Is it possible to use CAD software, or do I need something less rigid? (e.g. blender)

4) How do I ensure that my part is incorporated in the game's physics engine?

If I've missed something incredibly obvious in how this all works, please point it out. 

Thanks!

Start by making a simple part for KSP- I vote blender. Look up on youtube how to make a basic KSP part and it will walk you through everything- it isn't difficult and unity (game engine) doesn't require programming knowledge. This will give you a decent understanding of every question you asked besides the coding portion. After you have learned to do that you can begin to learn coding. Nothing can replace reading and learning from previously written plugins when you get to this part. Or vica versa, I'm just making a recommendation. In either case, you will want to start by making sure you have a basic understanding of what is going on inside the config. files. You have modified parts before using the cfg. files right? If not. start by modifying existing parts before you worry about writing code and modeling mesh's.

Hope to see your name on top of a project before long! 

Just now, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

It's possible, but not directly, take Principia as an example.

Ok, let me rewrite your answer then:

C#, but C++, Lua, Python, Go, PHP, ... is possible as long as your write a wrapper for it in C#.

Thanks for the responses! I won't be able to put too much time into this until my semester finishes up, but I'll be sure to respond with my progress and questions after I start fiddling around.

Also, thanks for the link @Hay, I will likely be using blender instead, but the information looks good, especially the textures portion. It also gave me a bit more info about .cfg files with the engine statistics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.