Would you like to go to Space?

NSEP

Would you like to go to space?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to go to Space?

2. 2. Do you actually believe you will get into space?

• Yes!
    • Dunno.
    • No, i don't think i will ever get into space.
    • No, i never wanted to to get into space anyways.
  3. 3. Where would you want to go?

I've been working on it since I was five years old. I may be able to get to ISS during its final years, then my next target is the Moon's giant lava tubes, then the flood valleys of Mars. I believe this aligns well with my life's projected timeline and the plans of major space agencies. Phobos and Deimos would be great stops too. Imagine that - I want to walk on up to five worlds in my lifetime and not only believe it to be possible but am actually pursuing that goal.

I'd probably go to Jupiter or Saturn if the coast phase is less than a year and there's more than ten people there.

Edited by cubinator

Keeping things reasonable: I'd love to go but I've resigned myself to the fact that it will never happen. Realistic destinations for mere mortals (i.e. space tourists) within my lifetime will probably be limited to LEO and the Moon. Nobody is going to pick me to go to Mars because I don't have the superhuman credentials necessary.

I really want to go to some other star system, but I highly doubt that:

1. Humans will travel even to the nearest star system in my lifetime
  2. I'll have the 'super special magical unicorn anime' abilities to be picked for an interstellar mission
  3. I'll be short enough to even get to go into space on a NASA rocket by the time i'm an adult

Could someone enlighten me as to what are the "special abilities" that astronauts have mere mortals don't which inhibit most people from becoming astronauts? As far as I know you need to:

-Be able to work well in a team 

-Be reasonably fit

-Be able to focus, think critically and accomplish tasks with limited resources

-Really, really want to go to space

That doesn't seem like anything superhuman to me.

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

Could someone enlighten me as to what are the "special abilities" that astronauts have mere mortals don't which inhibit most people from becoming astronauts? As far as I know you need to:

-Be reasonably fit

Well I'm at least pretty sure that there are at least a few other requirements, one of them being height (I don't know the lower limit but the upper limit on height it 6'3" if I remember correctly)

8 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Well I'm at least pretty sure that there are at least a few other requirements, one of them being height (I don't know the lower limit but the upper limit on height it 6'3" if I remember correctly)

Right, but there are lots of tall people who want to go to space and some of the giant rockets in the works will most likely be able to accommodate those people, so all hope is not lost. I'm nearing the upper limit myself and will probably end up really close to it. 

Other than that, the abilities needed don't seem very impossible.

Edited by cubinator

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

-Be reasonably fit

No, but meeting the minimum requirements for a job often isn't enough. Especially when it is for a job like "Astronaut". Look at the credentials of the people who get picked. They are all overachievers in everything that they do. But there's no harm in trying; maybe your credentials will stand out enough that you'll get picked? And you'll obviously never get picked if you don't apply. Heck, I applied for the job myself once. And even though I didn't get the job, the process was fun because it allowed me to dream about the possibilities for the few months that it took me to get my rejection letter.

Edited by PakledHostage

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

-Be reasonably fit

There's a few more requirements than that. You need a degree, and experience. And probably more stuff that I forgot.

Sure I would like to, space is like a home for me (See my username title)

But the first reason I would to go there is mainly about my own attitude. I'm an introvert person, I cannot stand being in a room with a lot of people. I'm able to tolerate a certain number of people in my proximity (Which is far above the number of spacecraft/station crew capacity). In my place, city is extremely noisy and crowded, leading to a very unpleasant experience of almost everyday. The feeling of solitude and isolation from space calms me down (Which also makes me interested in KSP in the first place). I am willing to take a one-way trip to another planet (And not in a crash) if it means I can get away from my "normal" daily life

44 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

There's a few more requirements than that. You need a degree, and experience. And probably more stuff that I forgot.

You're right, there's a lot of work you need to put in beforehand. I fail to see where it turns from "experienced qualified person" to "wizard", though. 

12 minutes ago, cubinator said:

You're right, there's a lot of work you need to put in beforehand. I fail to see where it turns from "experienced qualified person" to "wizard", though. 

Well, there are more billionaires than astronauts, so it may be that...

Yes, we're on the KSP forum, very few of us wouldn't want to!

I even started working on a design for a 1 man suborbital rocket that with some effort could be built and launched by a small team of people who knew what they were doing. Deep in the part of my brain responsible for my hopes and dreams, I dreampt about actually building it... Unfortunately there are these pesky things called "laws" and "regulations" not to mention I'd probably blow myself up in the process, meaning my chances of going to space are probably higher if I don't build it...

6 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Errmm?... in what way? Like how most car accidents are caused by the nut behind the wheel? Just curious.

There are not enough spaceships, and each only accommodates a few highly trained people so that not enough people get the opportunity to go to space. If spaceships were cheaper, more common, and passenger friendly (easy-to-fly is probably out of the question for now) then there would be lots of people going to space. I was referring purely to the small number of people who have been to space as the problem which can be somewhat solved by making spaceflight more accessible.

Kinda would like to go... But if i did go to space i would want to go somewhere other than the Moon or Mars because it was already "explored" to some degree. Like i would want to go to Pluto, Venus or Mercury.

P.S. If i went i would be 12 inches tall by the time i get there. (u know because of no gravaty)

Edited by Glitchgamer12

12 hours ago, Glitchgamer12 said:

because of no gravaty

*Gravity

And also, yes there is gravity in space, because if there wasn't, then what's stopping the earth from flying away from the sun and the moon flying away from earth?

The reason you don't feel it is because technically you're always in free-fall in space, and since you don't feel gravity in free-fall, you don't feel gravity in space.

22 hours ago, Glitchgamer12 said:

(u know because of no gravaty)

I know this is done to death... but there is gravity. What there is a lack of, though, is not weight. You still have weight, as gravity is pulling you. So what's missing? The normal force. It's the force that keeps you from falling though objects. The floor applies a normal force on you, so do chairs, sofas, beds, etc. But in orbit, everything is falling. There is no surface or other object to stop you from falling. You just never hit the ground.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.