The most kerbal flat-earther I have yet to see

KSK

Normally i keep my opinion about such contemporaries to myself ....

... but in this case i honestly hope he makes it. And makes it further into space, so that he can acquire his proof of a round earth and settle the matter.

But i fear that the science and nature he is scoffing at will be the one who kills him. Mechanical energy conversion, cold deformation, oxygen partial pressure ... and such maybe even fuel the conspirators (conspirers ?).

Edited by Green Baron

Steam rockets.

Wow. Just... wow.

I hope he gets at it better than the US Navy getting Vanguard.

If this becomes the steampunk X-1 or X-15, so be it.

Edited by YNM

Right, because a thread to complain about stuff is exactly where I'd expect to find something like this.

*sighs* Could some kind moderator merge this thread with one of the other ones dealing with this please?

Anyone want to do the math on how high we can expect his rocket to go? I'd be interested in if he can actually get high enough to see much more curvature than you could from a mountain. Just looking at the scale of his rocket and hearing "steam-powered" makes me think it won't go very high at all...

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Space Shuttle used one. Saturn and Energy, too. H2+O2 = water steam.

Well, we definitely don't call hydrogen-cell powered cars "steam cars"... It also rusted a lot of aluminum.

[Link removed due to a potential infection]

TL;DR: A guy named Mike Hughes is going to liftoff tomorrow in a maleshift rocket (read: some kind of SRB-powered capsule) in order to show the Earth is flat by taking pictures at a height of a few kilometers.

The "kerbal" part comes from the fact he already tried in 2014, and the rocket, well, given the attack angle starts at 45°... didn't go very far at all. And apparently because he... staged poorly? How could I say it otherwise? the parachute got ripped off and he had to walk with a crutch for 15 days.

From what I see of the rocket, the chance of a RUD is immensely more probable than actually reaching 5 km, but that's quite kerbal nevertheless.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

6 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

[Link Removed - when quoting posts with dodgy links, it helps to remove the link from the quote!]

TL;DR: A guy named Mike Hughes is going to liftoff tomorrow in a maleshift rocket (read: some kind of SRB-powered capsule) in order to show the Earth is flat by taking pictures at a height of a few kilometers.

The "kerbal" part comes from the fact he already tried in 2014, and the rocket, well, given the attack angle starts at 45°... didn't go very far at all. And apparently because he... staged poorly? How could I say it otherwise? the parachute got ripped off and he had to walk with a crutch for 15 days.

From what I see of the rocket, the chance of a RUD is immensely more probable than actually reaching 5 km, but that's quite kerbal nevertheless.

Beware the link, it tried to download several scripts onto my computer my ad-blocker picked up on and blocked.

He needed to convert some of this speed into lift which would have slowed him down. I think the 20g hit was due to an inappropriately size parachute, he probably needed a motorcycle shock absorber on the nose cone.

2 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Beware the link, it tried to download several scripts onto my computer my ad-blocker picked up on and blocked.

He needed to convert some of this speed into lift which would have slowed him down. I think the 20g hit was due to an inappropriately size parachute, he probably needed a motorcycle shock absorber on the nose cone.

Does it?

Okay, I'm removing the link just in case.

24 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I read the story earlier, and my first thought was this guy's an idiot...

My second thought was it did look kind of fun...  :)

SO 5 km = 16,400 feet. He could achieve the same effect by hiking up to pikes peak.

These people wont stop. Even if he realizes it's round he's still going to spread, brainwash people or even litigate for his own gain because he already has attention, maintaining it gets him richer and foolisher. The latter is unnoticeable to the subject, but that is his problem. 

43 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

A few kilometers, define few?

My nephews Airbus A330 flies at FL 410 (12.5km). Just over a dozen is not "few" to me, your conceptions may vary. 

And you can test the curvature of the earth by holding a sheet of A4 in front of you in front of the cockpits canopy.
I suggest Mike Hughes to do the same. But I don't know if this works on the passenger windows as they might be to small. 

43 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

45° angle, staged poorly (no mission control?) and a ripped up parachute. Sounds like a yokel having done plenty of bungee jumps, cliff jumps and skydive (adrenaline junky) and now thinks he's god and assigned to judge all that is right.

Edited by Helmetman

Just now, Helmetman said:

A few kilometers, define few?

I think he says "6 miles", which is about 10 km if I'm correct. Of course, this wouldn't quite help, as the curvature of Earth isn't really visible from that high. However he may notice the horizon is not that far.

1 minute ago, Helmetman said:

And you can test the curvature of the earth by holding a sheet of A4 in front of you in front of the cockpits canopy.

I suggest Mike Hughes to do the same. But I don't know if this works on the passenger windows as they might be to small. 

45° angle, staged poorly (no mission control?) and a ripped up parachute. Sounds like a yokel having done plenty of bungee jumps, cliff jumps and skydive (adrenaline junky) and now thinks he's god and assigned to judge all that is right.

As I said, the chance of a successful mission is basically zero (and in fact, the chance of survival is not that high either). Then comes the chance of him realizing the Earth is actually a spheroid, which is somehow under zero.

Replace it with this

16 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

Flight ceiling of cessna is 13,500 ft. But you can do the same on any window of 777 (generally 45,000 feet) over the northern pacific en route to Narita international. YOu don't need a paper, the surface of the Earth is clearly curved over the ocean.

Edited by PB666

7 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Replace it with this

Flight ceiling of cessna is 13,500 ft. But you can do the same on any window of 777 (generally 45,000 feet) over the northern pacific en route to Narita international. YOu don't need a paper, the surface of the Earth is clearly curved over the ocean.

Many fighter pilots and concorde passengers have reported the curvature at a altitude of 60-70.000feet. But can be much less apparently according to you.

Someone needs to tell Mike this :P 
Even if the pacific route to Narita doesn't show this to him, he can spend bucks to get a tourist ride on a mig-29 fighter jet to get him to about 60.000feet. If that doesn't show him he needs a optician or stop flying at night jk.

<rant>

This guy infuriates me. He thinks that he can prove that Earth is flat by denying science while flying on a giant tin can to just one mile up. Of course he won't see the curvature of Earth, he's too low in altitude. I really hate how these Flat Earthers constantly say how all of science and space is lies - which is basically insulting my entire life's work. 

</rant>

1 hour ago, Helmetman said:

Many fighter pilots and concorde passengers have reported the curvature at a altitude of 60-70.000feet. But can be much less apparently according to you.

Someone needs to tell Mike this :P 
Even if the pacific route to Narita doesn't show this to him, he can spend bucks to get a tourist ride on a mig-29 fighter jet to get him to about 60.000feet. If that doesn't show him he needs a optician or stop flying at night jk.

Now one issue with the geometry of flat earth is that Antarctica is the rim so hugging the land of Antarctica would be the slowest possible way of circumventing earth with a ship, in reality its the fastest. 
You also has the curvature, simply check long range flights on the southern hemisphere. An direct flight between south America, south Africa or Australia will show this well, either Earth is round or you are flying far faster than an Concorde in an standard jet, you would probably fly faster than an SR71, The speed of cargo ships would also be impressive :)
And yes you could also launch an balloon with an camera.
No seafaring civilization has ever belied Earth was flat. Some without long distance shipping like the ancient Egyptians believed so. You can see top of object first.

I think flat earthers are 98% trolls, as the theory is more stupid than even the most stupid conspiracy theories like  chemtrails, chemtrails is in some way theoretical possible, however its pointless and is done of all major airlines from all over the world for generations surviving stuff like the fall of Soviet Union and involve the million of people who has done repairs or service on planes is a bit unlikely as in winning jackpot in an national lottery 3 times in a row with three tickets is more likely. 
Flat earth can be disproved in multiple easy ways. 

16 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

Just get a few flat-earthers from around the world together on Skype to film sunset.

And you describe the easiest one, you could also easy replicate the experiment who was used to measure earth diameter, having all reporting the length of an shadow from an object with known height. 
You could also easy find that earth is a bit squeezed at the poles. 

34 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

<rant>

This guy infuriates me. He thinks that he can prove that Earth is flat by denying science while flying on a giant tin can to just one mile up. Of course he won't see the curvature of Earth, he's too low in altitude. I really hate how these Flat Earthers constantly say how all of science and space is lies - which is basically insulting my entire life's work. 

</rant>

He's an attention seeker, flat-earth insanity is just a prop. We could get Elon to strap him on non-expendible F9 1 stage and he can see for himself, lol. (Space suit not included).

44 minutes ago, PB666 said:

He's an attention seeker, flat-earth insanity is just a prop. We could get Elon to strap him on non-expendible F9 1 stage and he can see for himself, lol. (Space suit not included).

In my laundry list of things I'd do if I had infinite money, there is "Sending Alex Jones&co on the Moon to show it wasn't faked", as well as "Sending everyone believing the Earth is flat in orbit"