Who's the hottest Kerbal?

Geonovast

Hanging arms, google eyes (0_0), closed mouth and a heat bar that looks like his 3rd leg is on fire. He also forget to put the planes lights off, he's in frenzy.

I thought Kerbal heat resistant was 800 Fahrenheit, or was it 800 Celsius? Oh wait, the unit of measurement is Kelvin right? 526,85 Celsius then.

IIRC, that's hotter then my oven.

But realistically, I always thought Kerbals were amphibious. So instead of freaking out, they just go blank and shut down for a while, but they still instinctively walk across as you press key strokes ironically :P 
I'm pretty sure they're amphibious by the way.
It explains why they almost need no food and why the food cupboard in the pic below might contain enough for a Eeloo return mission. This will finally put a end to the discussion how Kerbals survive so long without available food containers. They don't need any, they require no excessive meals like we do.

Heating Kerbals is like slowly heating a frog, get my drift?
Image result for hitchhiker iva ksp

Edited by Helmetman

I've made Jeb toasties now and then
Dcbn8ye.jpg

I'm not sure if this a bug or a feature. It kinda makes sense that the pilot would be hot if the cockpit was v hot, but they seem to take all the thermal energy with them when they get out, which doesn't make sense. I'm guessing the game treats Kerbals as parts and so they're subject to heat transfer logic. 

My asteroid base has 4 kerbals. Before a docking disaster that wrecks the entire station, I'm leaving the nuclear industrial plant running 24/7 with disregard towards the electricity (I have plenty of solar panels anyway) and temperature (just puny 3 small radiators). Fast forward 4 days later, when I'm looking at the station, the WHOLE station is in red bars since apparently the nuclear plant created so much heat that the entire asteroid base turns into a giant pressure cooker

Jeb and others doesn't mind though

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

I'm not sure if this a bug or a feature.

I'm going with bug.  I just did a 3-pass retrograde re-entry with the same craft.  First pass hit atmo at about 3200m/s.  I lost all 4 airbrakes in the first few seconds, as well as one of the intakes.  Pretty much everything on the plane got red-hot on each pass... yet here we are, cool as can be.

screenshot91.png

@Geonovast That is a non atmospheric world? Is that planet from OPM or GPP? 

I did a test at the Launchpad firing 6 aerospikes at a MK 2 crew capsule with Valentina as a test subject.

What I found out is that the longer heat is induced, the hotter the kerbal eventually becomes. 
So it doesn't just matter whether you red out to the max on the heat bar during re-entry, it also matter how long those critical temperatures are maintained.

On the first pic I fired the Aerospikes for 20 seconds whereby I redded out the heat bar on the capsule nearing its max, and Val was oranged on the heat bar after getting out...

ITieTNk.jpg

On the next pic I fired the engines for 60 seconds instead of 20 (I reverted flight first by the way)

e95K6Xt.jpg

Now she's hotter then before :P 

How this works under the hood is probably explained here https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Overheating

Edited by Helmetman

2 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

@Geonovast That is a non atmospheric world? Is that planet from OPM or GPP?

That's...uh, Kerbin.

3 minutes ago, Helmetman said:

e95K6Xt.jpg

Now she's hotter then before :P 

How this works under the hood is probably explained here https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Overheating

Interesting test.  I didn't time either one, but it seems like their heating periods were the same.  The first time,  everything cooled down as soon as I slowed down to about 600 m/s, except the cockpit.  That was still glowing when I landed.  Second test, it cooled down the same time as everything else.

So the important logical progression of these tests; can you heat a cockpit to a point that when the pilot gets out they explode from overheating? We need to know for, erm, safety reasons.

And other Q for those with their lab coats on; If you have a two seater cockpit with one pilot, heated so that the pilot is at the high end of their heat bar when they get out, if you then rerun the same conditions but with two pilots, would they each be at half the temperature when you get them out, or would the first one take all the heat with them so the 2nd one is at normal temp when they get out?

13 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

That's...uh, Kerbin.

Interesting test.  I didn't time either one, but it seems like their heating periods were the same.  The first time,  everything cooled down as soon as I slowed down to about 600 m/s, except the cockpit.  That was still glowing when I landed.  Second test, it cooled down the same time as everything else.

Then I guess I'm not used to dark side pictures of flat dessert areas giving me the impression it wasn't Kerbin :P My mistake...

I'll check some more conditions besides the test done.

Edited by Helmetman

27 minutes ago, katateochi said:

So the important logical progression of these tests; can you heat a cockpit to a point that when the pilot gets out they explode from overheating? We need to know for, erm, safety reasons.

And other Q for those with their lab coats on; If you have a two seater cockpit with one pilot, heated so that the pilot is at the high end of their heat bar when they get out, if you then rerun the same conditions but with two pilots, would they each be at half the temperature when you get them out, or would the first one take all the heat with them so the 2nd one is at normal temp when they get out?

I think somebody would have reported this already, since so many mission profiles should have already given us this warning.

But I tested this.

Firing engines for 5 minutes at maximum heating without exploding the capsule...
Kerbals get out without exploding, I got the bar to the absolute max. (further then in the picture as I throttled a lil bit before taking the pic)
I think, imaginatively that the max heat temperature of a cockpit or any crewed part doesn't transfer the same temperature to the Kerbal. Imagine a cooling system in the cockpit of some sorts.
If the Kerbals heat tolerance is lower then the capsule, he's cooled internally or by his spacesuit to stay below the mortal heat damage. 

NWO3SqL.jpg

Bill got out and...

VxkWHzn.jpg

After that Val got out, also redded out.

wgEBkgG.jpg

Then I send Val inside again and then got her out after a few seconds, she's still hot.

esOjfRg.jpg

Then I tried heating the Mk 1 cockpit for a minute or two. It, unlike the Mk 2 cocpit loses its heat in several seconds and consequently the Kerbal doesn't heat up.
I haven't tested other cockpits, but this means this varies per cockpit, but why?

z5usEMP.jpg

After a few seconds no more heating...

TorHxPb.jpg

And consequently, a cool Bill :P 

n0dmyZk.jpg

Edited by Helmetman

This is the hottest Kerbal I have ever seen who survived (obviously, others have gotten much hotter on EVA re-entries but didn't survive).

27861461144_1d8abcb791_b.jpg

Poor Jedley was a victim of the mysterious bases-spontaneously-overheating-and-exploding bug that happens from time to time.  He bailed out just in time, with his personal temperature bar fully red except for the last pixel.  Thus, he eventually cooled down.

For this, Jedley was awarded the Kobel Prize in Material Science that year, for proving that Kerbals sublimate instead of melting :D 

Edited by Geschosskopf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.