NOTE: I'm not a flat earther by any means, just a person who spent too much time on the Internet. I only intend to creat this mod for jest, nothing more.

I have looked at proposals to create a flat Kerbin in the past, but they involved making kerbin physically flat. My idea involves making Kerbin giant with the actual Kerbin with the contients occupying a small part of it so it seems lime there is no curvature. Then, Kerbal Konstructs will be used to create the firmament(the flat earther posts I have seen involved firmaments) around the flat Kerbin. 

I so far havent had the time or motivation to do the Korpernicus work and have no idea how to do add konstructs.

Edited by 0something0

Ahem, a more serious answer is that you can probably use Korpernicus to make Kerbin 100 times larger that it is or about 10 times larger than the earth. 

However there would be no real point to it.  You will not be able to orbit such a world without still more custom mods.  All you can do is more or less vertical sub orbital flights.  This would be very not fun and get old fast.

Since the point is to make a flat earth making a mod to give your ships enough delta-V to orbit such a world would be pointless.  Conflictingly this would be the only way to make that flat kerbin playable and therefore the mod worth making in the first place.

Such a mod would be useless for proving anything, or doing anything.  Really very pointless.  Therefor if you want such a mod, you are going to have to make it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Now if you think this assessment is not correct, you will have to be more specific about what your goals are.  Why do you want such a mod, what do you hope to gain from it?

• 4 weeks later...
On 30.11.2017 at 2:45 AM, JayPee said:

RESEARCH FLAT KERBIN

Research alchemy. Research homeopathy. Research astrology. Forget about chemistry, medicine and astronomy. Why is this called "research" if it leads to regress and a new Middle Age?

8 hours ago, ave369 said:

Research alchemy. Research homeopathy. Research astrology. Forget about chemistry, medicine and astronomy. Why is this called "research" if it leads to regress and a new Middle Age?

The guy is just trying to make a mod he thinks would be fun, no one here is even a flat earther, or discussing the idea in any seriousness.

I mean you quoted a guy who said "research flat KERBIN", as in the not real planet that Kerbals live on...don't you think he's probably joking? 

I'm not sure which is worse though; Actual flat earthers, or the over eager self titled "intellectuals" falling all over themselves to berate some hypothetical person (who often isn't even present) over their alternative beliefs in an attempt to feel and/or look superior.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

In The Night Land (by W.H.Hodgson) the far future Earth has been devastated by a global cataclysme which also created a very deep canyon, hundreds-thousands miles wide/long.
The surviving humans and monsters live on the bottom of the deep canyon, while the whole Earth surface is (presumably) lifeless.
(Oceans have disappeared inside, so only rivers and lakes on the canyon bottom take place).
Most of people live in a giant (miles high) pyramide (Last Redoubt) and in a less giant pyramide (Lesser Redoubt) at the opposite end of the canyon.

So, if make a dry planet covered with mountains higher than the atmosphere edge, with very deep canyon(s), the canyon dwellers can feel themselves living in a Cartesian flat world surrounded by tens kilometers high walls.

They could move by rovers, ships (across the lakes on the canyon bottom, at sea level), planes (from wall to wall, but not above).
At some moment somebody would build a vertical rocket to look at their total "world" at once from the height...

Edited by kerbiloid

26 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

How about a hexagonal Kerbin? Painted red like a stop sign. :sticktongue:

I see octagonal stop signs here in California. :)

56 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, if make a dry planet covered with mountains higher than the atmosphere edge, with very deep canyon(s), the canyon dwellers can feel themselves living in a Cartesian flat world surrounded by tens kilometers high walls.

What about making a cuboid planet? It'll have flat faces, and the vertices can be the mountain tops above atmosphere (atmocube?). Being at the center of a face can make you feel like you're in the center of a canyon, I would imagine.

Edited by SchwinnTropius

13 minutes ago, SchwinnTropius said:

What about making a cuboid planet?

As Kopernicus operates with spherical planets, it's possible to make a cube-like planet, but it anyway would not be a correct cube.
Also imho it would be too dull with 6 similar faces.

Edited by kerbiloid

Someone is wanting to make a nonsense mod for fun and everyone instantly cries "flat-earther"? I highly doubt that any flat earther is even intelligent and willing enough to remotely understand and having fun playing KSP. KSP is a flat-earther's worst nightmare, even with a flat Kerbin. All that physical science, gravitation and overall...logik :o !

Really, this behavior is higly unscientific.

I'd find the mod funny too, could be a great way to make kerbals do stupid flat-earther stuff and post the videos on youtube :D .

Though for me personally that gain would't be worth all the work. Also I kinda doubt that it would work well. Even if you manage to disc-itize a planet, all the atmosphere stuff is most probably based on spherical models.

On 11/27/2017 at 3:34 PM, Leszek said:

Ahem, a more serious answer is that you can probably use Korpernicus to make Kerbin 100 times larger that it is or about 10 times larger than the earth. 

However there would be no real point to it.  You will not be able to orbit such a world without still more custom mods.  All you can do is more or less vertical sub orbital flights.  This would be very not fun and get old fast.

Since the point is to make a flat earth making a mod to give your ships enough delta-V to orbit such a world would be pointless.  Conflictingly this would be the only way to make that flat kerbin playable and therefore the mod worth making in the first place.

Such a mod would be useless for proving anything, or doing anything.  Really very pointless.  Therefor if you want such a mod, you are going to have to make it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Now if you think this assessment is not correct, you will have to be more specific about what your goals are.  Why do you want such a mod, what do you hope to gain from it?

Wouldn't quite work as the world would still be curved. Just to a lessor extent. I have an idea as to a solution but being as I'm not a modder, I haven't a clue if it's even feasible.

27 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Wouldn't quite work as the world would still be curved. Just to a lessor extent. I have an idea as to a solution but being as I'm not a modder, I haven't a clue if it's even feasible.

It would be effectively flat.  After all if the earth is flat enough to fool flat earthers, a planet 10 times the size would ought to be close enough.  Already it would be impossible to get to orbit without modding some OP rockets.  Also you wouldn't be able to do anything or go anywhere but up a short way and then back down.

And if you really thought that wasn't good enough, make Kerbin 100x earth size.

But like I said before.  What is the point.  After that you would not be able to go anywhere or do anything.  It really would be a useless mod by itself.

7 minutes ago, Leszek said:

It would be effectively flat.  After all if the earth is flat enough to fool flat earthers, a planet 10 times the size would ought to be close enough.  Already it would be impossible to get to orbit without modding some OP rockets.  Also you wouldn't be able to do anything or go anywhere but up a short way and then back down.

And if you really thought that wasn't good enough, make Kerbin 100x earth size.

But like I said before.  What is the point.  After that you would not be able to go anywhere or do anything.  It really would be a useless mod by itself.

Issue is, Kerbin the size of Gilly or the size of Canis Majoris, the body is still curved, just at a lessor rate.

A simpler solution may be to have Kerbin located under a giant flat Kerbal Konstructs structure in the shape of a flat Kerbin, that extends near indefinately in every direction to truly emulate a flat body. Course, I don't know if there's a size/poly count limit to KK structures or if there's a range limit on the physics or whatnot so I'll leave that to the modders to comment on.

3 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Issue is, Kerbin the size of Gilly or the size of Canis Majoris, the body is still curved, just at a lessor rate.

A simpler solution may be to have Kerbin located under a giant flat Kerbal Konstructs structure in the shape of a flat Kerbin, that extends near indefinately in every direction to truly emulate a flat body. Course, I don't know if there's a size/poly count limit to KK structures or if there's a range limit on the physics or whatnot so I'll leave that to the modders to comment on.

I understand your issue but my point is that I don't think you can do that.  I think the best you can do, the closest you can get is make Kerbin large enough to be effectively flat.  As for KK structures, I have no idea.

9 hours ago, Wallygator said:

Seriously? This is a thread?

Even contemplating a 'FLAT' kerbin should be thrown into the "moon hoax" bucket.

Folks, there's more fun and engaging topics for mods than this.  Just my personal opinion.

Like the Dres mod. They say that Dres is being covered up by a certain green-skinned race :o and somebody made a mod for it. Take a joke dammit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.