[1.4.*] (Almost) Real Solar System (v1.2.3)

WillThe84th

This is a continuation of my mod Realistic Remodel.

(Almost) Real Solar System is kerbalized version of Real Solar System. It keeps the stock planets but changes them to be more realistic. The orbits and sizes of planets have been changed to be in the same ratios as our solar system. Some planets have been moved around to fill in some gaps, and names of some planets have been changed as well. A few color changes have been made, and more are planned.

Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions are required and OPM is highly recommended.

Download

Imgur Album

Scaling:

I have added a scaling feature using Sigma dimensions to allow you to change the difficulty according to you. The default setting is about 2.5x stock scale, while the atmospheric height and rotational period are the same, but this can always be changed in the settings file.

Color Changes:

Some of the planets have a had their color changed to be more similar to reality. Marcx (Previously Duna) have been changed to be more of a rusty color than a bright red. All four gas giants have slightly different colors, with Jool's being the most extreme.

Compatibility:

Distant Object Enhancement: Added configs to support color changes of planets.

KSC Switcher: Added 4 additional launch sites around Kerbin. (In my testing the download from the RO repository here works)

RemoteTech: Added an assortment of preset configs to choose from in the in-game settings. You can also create your own.

Planned Features:

• Color change for other planets, including Vixen, and various moons.
  • Support for visual mods. (SVE and EVE kinda work)
  • Maybe additional bodies.

MIT License

Edited by WillThe84th

In the settings file everything is listed as "1" Is "1" equivalent to "2.5"x the original KSP scale?

looks to me like 1 is equal to 1, as in the original size scale.  I changed everything to two and my atmo height is now 140k.  Very cool.

If I understand right, to get things to real sizes, the number is about 10?

And is this increasing distance between bodies also?

Oh and are the other things, like antenna ranges, rescaled along with my changes there?

I see the remotech config files, I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to copy the one I want into a remotech directory or what :)

Just keep thinking of more questions, but my final ones are... is there any way to make this compatible with setups that add additional stars?  It crapped the bed when I tried to throw KSS in along with it unfortunately.  

And finally, the compatibility folder, should I be copying its contents around to each of the mods mentioned?  Or are those files already being used by the other mods to correct themselves?  Like for instance, the OPM section, should I be copying those configs into the OPM directory as well?

But basically I love the additional content that more stars gives us but I also love the additional challenge that the scaling gives.  Not sure how to get the best of both worlds :(

Edited by Fergrim

4 hours ago, Fergrim said:

In the settings file everything is listed as "1" Is "1" equivalent to "2.5"x the original KSP scale?

looks to me like 1 is equal to 1, as in the original size scale.  I changed everything to two and my atmo height is now 140k.  Very cool.

Oh and are the other things, like antenna ranges, rescaled along with my changes there?

I see the remotech config files, I'm just not sure if I'm supposed to copy the one I want into a remotech directory or what :)

Just keep thinking of more questions, but my final ones are... is there any way to make this compatible with setups that add additional stars?  It crapped the bed when I tried to throw KSS in along with it unfortunately.  

And finally, the compatibility folder, should I be copying its contents around to each of the mods mentioned?  Or are those files already being used by the other mods to correct themselves?  Like for instance, the OPM section, should I be copying those configs into the OPM directory as well?

But basically I love the additional content that more stars gives us but I also love the additional challenge that the scaling gives.  Not sure how to get the best of both worlds :(

Also there's a problem here, I'm finding several planets lose their textures completely when I install this mod am I doing something wrong?  For example, Sarnus and its rings turn all white.

Edit:  After scouring cfgs for the problem, it seems you're trying to call your textures from a folder called "realisticremodel" which doesn't exist.  the textures are present in (Almost)RealSolarSystem/textures and /plugindata but there is no such folder as realisticRemodel.  I'm going to try to add that folder, and put the textures in there to see if it fixes my issue.

Edit:

THAT FIXED IT.  I had to rename your mod folder to "RealisticRemodel" from "(Almost)RealSolarSystem and now all of the textures work as they should.  Just an FYI for anyone else, and for you Will, so you can have this working as intended.

Edited by Fergrim

On 11/26/2017 at 2:43 PM, Fergrim said:

Yes, "1" is equal to approximately original KSP scale and "10" would be equal to RSS. I just set it to "2.5" by default to be a nice balance between realism and difficulty while still being able to use stock parts.

And yes, it increases the distance between bodies as well.

Sigma dimensions does a good job of scaling up the stock antennae ranges, so that is something neither of us have to worry about. :wink:

As for the Remotetech configs, I have included multiple preset configs for different scales, and you don't have to do anything with the files. All you have to do is select the correct config in the in-game Remotetech settings.

I don't really know what other Kopernicus mods would work with this mod. I would suspect that it would depend on the structure of the system. Mods that make modifications to the same files that this one does would probably have conflicts. I will try to add more integration for such mods in the future.

You do not have to do anything with the files in the compatibility folder. All of that should work automatically.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:51 PM, Fergrim said:

Also there's a problem here, I'm finding several planets lose their textures completely when I install this mod am I doing something wrong?  For example, Sarnus and its rings turn all white.

Edit:  After scouring cfgs for the problem, it seems you're trying to call your textures from a folder called "realisticremodel" which doesn't exist.  the textures are present in (Almost)RealSolarSystem/textures and /plugindata but there is no such folder as realisticRemodel.  I'm going to try to add that folder, and put the textures in there to see if it fixes my issue.

Edit:

THAT FIXED IT.  I had to rename your mod folder to "RealisticRemodel" from "(Almost)RealSolarSystem and now all of the textures work as they should.  Just an FYI for anyone else, and for you Will, so you can have this working as intended.

I have addressed that problem and I believe it has been fixed in the latest update. (1.0.3)

Edited by WillThe84th

Thanks for everything, I've been enjoying this.

For people who want the most content and a guarantee of easy compatibility, I'd suggest OPM as you've said, Will and also the Extrasolar planets mod works seamlessly with this at 2.5x scale. 

It puts a red dwarf star in an outer orbit of Kerbol with several planets (and their moons) orbiting that.  It gives the perfect end game goal after the already challenging and large 2.5x kerbol system.

Without any changes, it actually orbits a little bit inside of your outermost planet, but one can easily open the Valentin config and double its semi major axis; however that's not necessary. I simulated it out a few hundred years and they never intersect.

Will if you know of any other additional stars that will merge seamlessly with your system here, I'd love to know.  I have a more the merrier mentality about that :D

Edited by Fergrim

14 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Very interesting! And since its already ARRS, you could make it cheeks

A

Realistic

Stock system

Enhancement!

but yea keep up the good work

I like "RSSSSSS"

"Real Solar System Sized Stock Solar System" :sticktongue:

Cool mod though!

Need help. Giving this a try and with remote tech i have no connection at my launchpad.. 

Is there a setting or mod I missed? 

Do i need to create a rover with an Antennae? 

EDIT: FIxed. Using the settings for Sigma scaling  sets Mission Control range to Zero... Set to 1 and good to go.

Edited by ptreese84

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, WillThe84th said:

What other mods are you using?

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:33 PM, WillThe84th said:

What other mods are you using?

I use, OPM, Sigma, and Kopernicus, just this one, like requierment said, and I meet problems with the sun, error message said, that Kopernicus can load correctly due to a bug with an other mod

I Love the Idea,  one thing that I have been looking for though,  Is:  The planets would be kerbal sized but they would be moved around and re-textured to look like our solar system.  Mostly because i want to feel like i'm in our solar system but I don't want the big challenge of dealing with such a big planet (compared to kerbal).

@WillThe84th I am considering adding compatibility for this mod in Galactic Neighborhood

usually I ask the planet pack developer to propose a name for the star the pack will get in GN and also to propose a real life star as analogue

for this pack I thought it would be nice to name the star "Schedon" or "Skedon" which is greek for "Almost"

regarding the star instead, I would like to get a star that fits nicely into the HR diagram of GN stars, so I am looking for specific types of stars.

If you are interested I can send you some options when I have an idea of what kind of stars I need now

On 12/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, Sigma88 said:

@WillThe84th I am considering adding compatibility for this mod in Galactic Neighborhood

usually I ask the planet pack developer to propose a name for the star the pack will get in GN and also to propose a real life star as analogue

for this pack I thought it would be nice to name the star "Schedon" or "Skedon" which is greek for "Almost"

regarding the star instead, I would like to get a star that fits nicely into the HR diagram of GN stars, so I am looking for specific types of stars.

If you are interested I can send you some options when I have an idea of what kind of stars I need now

That would be great! I would love to hear any options you have regarding the star, and I would love to discuss if further as well.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:42 AM, Blinkboy77 said:

I use, OPM, Sigma, and Kopernicus, just this one, like requierment said, and I meet problems with the sun, error message said, that Kopernicus can load correctly due to a bug with an other mod

If you could send your log next time it happens that would be a big help.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:31 PM, LowFlyingGamer said:

I Love the Idea,  one thing that I have been looking for though,  Is:  The planets would be kerbal sized but they would be moved around and re-textured to look like our solar system.  Mostly because i want to feel like i'm in our solar system but I don't want the big challenge of dealing with such a big planet (compared to kerbal).

If that's what you want then I recommend that you take a look at this.

5 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

That would be great! I would love to hear any options you have regarding the star, and I would love to discuss if further as well.

so, this is the current HR,

GN%20HR%200.4.7.png?dl=1

in green are marked the current stars, in blue I highlighted the areas where I would like to put new stars

to find a star that fits in that diagram, go to wikipedia and find any star that matches the coordinates of the blue stains looking at B-V for the x axis, and luminosity for the y axis

for example: Eta Ursae Majoris has B-V -0.19 and luminosity 1350 (I don't think this would fit in the blue regions, I just took a random star)

keep in mind that the y axis has a logarithmic scale

alternatively, I can look for some stars myself and just give you a list and you can choose one of those

also, I will need to rename some of the planets because we can't have more than one planet with the same name :)

here's the list of planet that will need new names:

Spoiler
Moho
Kerbin
Mun
Jool
Laythe
Sarnus
Tekto
Urlum
Neidon
Thatmo
Plock
Karen

also, I noticed that you don't delete OPM displayName so some of the planets you rename don't get renamed ingame

just adding 

!displayName = DEL

in the Property node of the cfgs in the OPM compatibility patches

Edited by Sigma88

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.