[1.3.1] Cetera's Suits for TextureReplacerReplaced

Cetera

Cetera's Suits for TextureReplacerReplaced

Cetera's Suit Pack contains class-specific custom suits for all KSP stock classes and for all classes included in MKS.  

• EVA class suits for kerbal classes level zero through five
  • Alternate helmets used for any kerbals with the BadAss trait
  • Alternate veteran suits for any kerbals with the Veteran trait*
  • Transparent EVA visors (used by default on the ground in an atmosphere when in an EVA suit)
  • Apollo-style EVA gold sun visors, mostly opaque, but with just enough transparency to let you get a feel for your kerbal's emotional state at any given moment while on EVA.  (default visor used in space)
  • The ability to flip back and forth between the clear and sun visors via right-click menu (select change EVA suit) thanks to TRR
  • Class-specific IVA suits with class icons on shoulder patches
  • Dedicated "Command" suits for the original four kerbals, Jebediah, Bill, Bob, and Valentina**

* Veteran suits use the BadAss helmets, with an orange jetpack, and orange piping stripes on the EVA suits.
**By default, the command suits are exclusive to the Big Four.  If desired, you can copy the folders in the "Extras" folder to the "Suits" folder.  This will allow the Command suits to be used as veteran suits for the three stock classes.  Doing so will replace the BadAss helmet variant for veterans for these three stock classes only.

Screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/TZdy4

Album http://imgur.com/a/TZdy4 will appear when post is submitted
Further explanation of suit details in the Imgur album above.

NOTE:
***If adding this suit pack to an existing game, you must use the "Reset TRR" button in the TextureReplacerReplaced menu (lower right under the class selections) while in the Space Center view for settings to take effect.  New games started after the installation of this pack do not need this step.***

Cetera's Suit Pack REQUIRES the following mods:
TextureReplacerReplaced:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161898-13texturereplacerreplaced-v04/&

ModuleManager:  
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-130-module-manager-281-june-29th-2017-with-n-cats-physics/&

Cetera's Suits is compatible/enhanced with the following mods:
Community Trait Icons:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162509-13-community-trait-icons-icon-library-for-kerbal-crew-types-v012-2017-06-25/&

Portrait Stats:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/108704-13x-dmagics-modlets-new-modlet-one-window-v20-8-16-2017/&

Modular Kolonization System: 
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154587-13-modular-kolonization-system-mks/

Download

Thank you to GregroxMun, Proot, Green Skull, Scart91, JFull, Bentley, and Shaymes for their inspiration, suit packs, and for making my KSP adventures a little more delightful and colorful over the last several years. Thanks also to GregroxMun, HaArLiNsH, and Aelfhe1m for the discussions and willingness to assist me. Thank you Shaw for the original TextureReplacer mod, RangeMachine for updating it after Shaw disappeared.  

Most importantly, a very special thank you to HaArLiNsH for creating TextureReplacerReplaced, carrying on the work to allow us to customize our favorite game, and for all the extras he has put into it to make TRR so flexible and customizable!

License:  CC BY-NC-SA
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Version Updates

Spoiler

Fixed IVA suit normal map.  It was misnamed, preventing it from being applied.

Corrected .zip file format for CKAN compatibility.

Fixed a hold-over texture in the default folder from testing visors.  Renamed the proper file, removed the other, allowing the space visor to be properly recolored by TRR.

Corrected Veteran Purple Pilot file names, so if they are copied to the CetPilot folder they will not overwrite the Veteran Male suit files, allowing all veteran females to use the purple pilot suit.
Fixed typos in several IVA helmet files, resulting in them not displaying.
Added IVA helmet files to a couple of suit folders that were inadvertently missed.

Corrected Kolonist helmet emblem outline, which was too thin and not in line with the other classes, as viewable in the posted screenshots.

Screenshots (there are more screenshots at the Imgur album link above):

Spoiler

rGuB4u7.png

Command Crew front
(left to right) Valentina, Bob, Bill, Jebediah

4C0KtGG.png

Command Crew rear 
(right to left) Jebediah, Bill, Bob, Valentina

BqdaUsk.png

Pilot suits rear (level 0 through 5, left to right)

FHpYMGe.png

Ground visors, transparent with a hint of blue, natural reflections.

E62jRDt.png

Space visors in sunlight, slightly transparent, golden color

zivEEjV.png

Space visors in shadow, opaque, reflection slightly golden

ODwOL8T.png

Pilot

V8DJNWT.png

Biologist

Tiunp3u.png

Engineer

SjEUxmK.png

Farmer

jIpsAcw.png

Geologist

CzdIYoi.png

Kolonist (I've fixed the emblem on this one, so the outline thickness is more in line with the others.  The pack has been updated on Spacedock.)

hlVXDUz.png

Mechanic

Yqv4UU5.png

Medic

pwkgtOM.png

Miner

SrZwDm7.png

Quartermaster

Neq4o46.png

Scientist

XPdPgVL.png

Scout

OIBUCcX.png

Technician

VScQb2n.png

Badass Pilot

RKqDHMU.png

Badass Biologist

6FtMW5B.png

Badass Engineer

BSJZPy4.png

Badass Farmer

TyWxQxu.png

Badass Geologist

f39tBYx.png

Badass Kolonist  (I've fixed the emblem on this one, so the outline thickness is more in line with the others.  The pack has been updated on Spacedock.)

1FGJFbJ.png

Badass Mechanic

yaiWN6K.png

Badass Medic

z8igJNA.png

Badass Miner

3gp7rWt.png

Badass Quartermaster

d7Dybda.png

Badass Scientist

53k0AZW.png

Badass scout

dGN90Vx.png

Badass Technician

7O0wBKT.png

IVA suit with shoulder patch

Edited by Cetera
The imgur thing still doesn't work, eh?

Please post screenshots and video links in this thread to show off what your kerbals can get up to in the wild when clad in such spiffy space suits!

Also, I need a volunteer for someone to help me get this on CKAN, please, as it is still very much Greek to me.
It appears it is up and working on CKAN, with the proper requirements and recommendations.  Thanks very much, to any who helped make that happen!

Edited by Cetera

1 hour ago, Cetera said:

Ah, very nice!  First Mun landing on that save?

Exactly. And one of the more fotogenic with the Kerbin in that position. I can't do a better shot, because I was clipping the camera through terrain.

Look at reflection in the visor. Bob isn't reflected there.

8 hours ago, maja said:

Exactly. And one of the more fotogenic with the Kerbin in that position. I can't do a better shot, because I was clipping the camera through terrain.

Look at reflection in the visor. Bob isn't reflected there.

For support with the TRR mod, you will need to post in the TRR thread.  I just provide the pretty colors on the suits.  

I think the reflections are still a bit of a tricky issue right now.  I noticed a bug in them earlier where the reflection stays static, based on your location when you first EVA.  A scene change back to the space center and back fixes it.  @HaArLiNsH is aware of the issue, and working on it.  That might be what you're seeing.

Cetera, I couldn't help but notice that you separated out some of the same class into multiple suits, particularly with the veteran suits. Was there any reason you chose to do that? It looks like the only files in more than one of these folders is identical, so it seems like they could all be combined. I actually tried this, and put all the files for CetPilot, CetOrangePilot, and CetPurplePilot into the same folder. TRR correctly made regular pilots red, male veteran pilots orange, and female veteran pilots purple.

Were you just splitting it up so you could make orange non-veterans if you wanted? I can't really think of why else they would be different suits when they have no real overlap. I mean, you did combine the badass and normal helmets, so why not combine the veteran and normal suits?

25 minutes ago, Doxel said:

Cetera, I couldn't help but notice that you separated out some of the same class into multiple suits, particularly with the veteran suits. Was there any reason you chose to do that? It looks like the only files in more than one of these folders is identical, so it seems like they could all be combined. I actually tried this, and put all the files for CetPilot, CetOrangePilot, and CetPurplePilot into the same folder. TRR correctly made regular pilots red, male veteran pilots orange, and female veteran pilots purple.

Were you just splitting it up so you could make orange non-veterans if you wanted? I can't really think of why else they would be different suits when they have no real overlap. I mean, you did combine the badass and normal helmets, so why not combine the veteran and normal suits?

There are a couple of reasons on the wherefores and whys.  In my mind, Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Valentina are special.  I wanted them to have unique suits that no other kerbal would wear, and that's how I designed my pack, for the way I play.  I also wanted to mirror the orange command suits of my original pack, which I really liked.  So I set them up as unique, and allocated them to the original crew via the config.  (Valentina is purple instead of orange because my wife's favorite color is purple, and it is a bit of an homage to her.)

I know that some folks play KSP a bit differently than I do, and do an astronaut corp and progression, and want "veteran" suits.  By default, the only veteran kerbals in KSP are the original four.  However, for those that want veteran suits designating advanced kerbals that they edit to reflect their status, I wanted to accomodate with something in the pack.  Hence the veteran suits of each class having an orange jetpack like the command crew, but with the class specific logo on them.  The EVA suits then have the orange strip piping, and use the badass helmets.

Personally, I like the badass helmets the most out of everything in the pack, and I wanted to make sure they were seen and used in the game.  Doubling as badass and veteran helmets allows that to happen.  They'll still be rare enough, I think.  

The way TRR works is allocating folders by class.  Combing the folders the way you did is exactly how I originally made the pack, until I made the badass helmets.  I did not want to make an orange veteran suit for each class, as they would be so rarely (never) utilized it just wasn't worth it.  With that being the case, I felt consistency in the suits across classes was more important for cohesiveness, and I split off the orange (and purple) command suits into their own folders and allocated them by name to the unique original kerbals.  And it all started to try to have an easy identifier to be able to differentiate kerbals when on EVA, so you could tell who the heck it was in screenshots, videos, etc.

Does all that make sense?

That makes perfect sense, Cetera. Thank you for the detailed answer. I suppose that by default it would look the same anyway, since there are only four stock veterans. I was mostly just curious why you split them off.

And thanks again for making my favorite suit pack. I really appreciate it.

You are most welcome.  I'm glad you appreciate my efforts.  Your thanks and enjoyment of it is honestly worth more than most realize.  Always take time to thank the modders you like.  It takes a LOT of work, and if gratitude is the only currency you can repay them in, be sure to give it to them.  It costs you nothing but a moment of your time, and it really does go a long way.

Really enjoying the look of the new suits and helmets in game, but is there a way to disable them on the menu screen?

I'm afraid the partial transparency that looks so good while the whole game is running makes the poor kerbals seem to have their helmets filled with some yellowish liquid when viewed on the menu screen....

15 minutes ago, Mandella said:

Really enjoying the look of the new suits and helmets in game, but is there a way to disable them on the menu screen?

I'm afraid the partial transparency that looks so good while the whole game is running makes the poor kerbals seem to have their helmets filled with some yellowish liquid when viewed on the menu screen....

You need to ask this question in TRR thread.

1 hour ago, Mandella said:

I totally agree that it looks off-putting, but it's similar to the issue that Koperinicus would cause only the top half of the clouds to display on the menu screen. "Fixing" the menu screen stuff could be the backest of back-burner necessities compared to the main game. :wink:

2 hours ago, Mandella said:

Yes, unfortunately that's the nature of TRR at this point, and I'm not sure if there's much that can be done.  I believe the issue stems from a light gray, mostly opaque texture I use that is then colored by TRR to create the apollo-style gold sun visor for the space suits.  I think the stock game is loading that same texture where it was probably transparent before, and combined with their yellow overlay, you get the strange effect.  If you really don't like it, and don't care about the space visor, you can delete the EVAvisor.png file in the TRR-Cetera\Default folder. 

Now that I look at it, the package that I have out in distribution has my old texture I was using to figure it out, and the proper gray one as the test.  I'll fix that.  The key is the transparency, not the color of the texture.  If it is a gray texture, you can use TRR to recolor it, but if it is gold at the texture level, you're only going to get varying shades of gold.

FYI: Anyone using CKAN to update, there is a problem with this addon and CKAN. Please do not post about it here.  It has been reported to CKAN, and a bug report opened up with CKAN.  Like most mod authors, @Cetera has plenty with his own addon and does not need to be troubleshooting a CKAN error. This error apparently belongs to CKAN so please refer to the CKAN thread, or go read the bug report at the CKAN repository at this link 

4 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

FYI: Anyone using CKAN to update, there is a problem with this addon and CKAN. Please do not post about it here.  It has been reported to CKAN, and a bug report opened up with CKAN.  Like most mod authors, @Cetera has plenty with his own addon and does not need to be troubleshooting a CKAN error. This error apparently belongs to CKAN so please refer to the CKAN thread, or go read the bug report at the CKAN repository at this link 

Issue turned out to be my .zip file.  I was archiving some stuff and preparing to move a bunch of files from off of my NAS, and I did a big zip job, ultra compression, with Deflate64.  I didn't reset back to defaults before I zipped this file today, and that caused the issue.  A corrected file is uploading now.

Edited by Cetera

24 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

I believe CKAN is going to add recognition of this compression method, especially if it provides better compression.  Thanks for the update - and the chance to enhance CKAN :-)

Well, it allows for a bigger dictionary, which means it can store more file strings to a simpler replacement code.  The downside is it takes more processing power to zip, takes more memory to hold the entire dictionary, etc.  The difference between the 32k dictionary size of Deflate and the 64k dictionary of Deflate64 isn't going to be that big of a deal for most of what we're dealing with, I don't think.  If you really want to get crazy, you can use different compression methods and use dictionary sizes of hundreds of MB, but you gotta have a lot of RAM, and I know not everyone does.

Apparently there is a bit of an issue in that Deflate64 is proprietary, per the CSharp compression library authors "Deflate64 is a proprietary and undocumented extension of the protocol".  So its unsupported by the module, and thus unsupported by CKAN, and in all likelihood never will be supported because the CSharp library authors have decided against it over 6 years ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.