Replace 'Catastrophic Failure' Flight Outcome

For as long as I can remember; the flight log (F3) has always shown flights that resulted in loss of the command part as a 'Catastrophic Failure'. In my early days of .19 and even up to 1.0 this was acceptable as the majority of my flights were crewed and when my vehicle crashed into something it was generally a catastrophic failure as the game suggested. However now that there are more and more mods and possibilities in the game, the result seems highly outdated and dependent on the situation. I intentionally crash orbital debris or return to spent booster stages and track where they impact. As well as send impactors to the Mun and other bodies. Their entire mission goal being to smash into the body I am aiming at. Meaning a collision is an absolute success. Not a catastrophic failure.

That said, maybe I'm the only one with this issue. I recognize it may only be a small issue, but it's just something that's been on my mind for the last few weeks.

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Maybe have the crash message depend on what the vessel type was set to. Maybe even have a new vessel type: "Impactor"

I'd think 'Loss of vehicle' may be more appropriate and simpler but I'd be ok with them adding 'Impactors'. Be a bit hard on the game to define them as one by default.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:35 AM, MinimalMinmus said:

This is especially silly for debris I deorbit. "Catastrophic failure"? It's a debris, who cares?

The message should de something in the line of "Debris destroyed".

Then yu can make the point that if you have something classified as debris, but isn't (for whatever reason) you end up with the wrong error message. Which we are trying to prevent.

I do think this would be a good idea though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.