NullReferenceException issue in pause menu.

I'm running 1.3.0 with the following mods:

All the NearFuture stuff
KAS
KIS
MechJeb2
TweakScale
AresExploration

I have a Career mode game going, that I've been playing for a couple years now off and on, and is currently in Year 4 kerbal time.  I have many flights in progress including rovers on Mun, Minmus & Duna, and a deep space comms network to support them.  Needless to say I don't want to lose any of this.

I recently started building a station in LKO to support interplanetary manned missions.  Last night I launched a supply probe that consists of 6 KIS storage containers that I then mount to the struss structure of the station.  These containers are stabilized to the probe with some struts.  I sent my engineer out to do the necessary work, and when he detached the first strut something glitched and he went spinning away from the station at warp speed. I managed to stabilize him, and get him headed back to the station but he ran out of monopropellent.

So I needed to launch a rescue shuttle.  That's when I found out I couldn't go to the Space Center either from the top blue button, or from the ESC pause menu. Only Save, Load, and Settings work from the Pause menu.  Looking in the Debug menu, every time I click Space Center, Tracking Station, or Quit, I get: Exception: NullReferenceException: Object not set to an instance of an object.

Quitting KSP via ALT + F4, reloading my saved game and selecting either the station, or my orbiting engineer results in the same behavior.  Loading any other vessel is fine, but then the behavior returns as soon as I switch back to the station or Kerbal.

I'm not really in the habit of making saves as I go along, other than quick saves just before particularly challenging maneuvers, so the only quick save I have is from long before the station was started. and I really don't want to have to rebuild it, as there was a lot of science mining to unlock the parts I needed first.

Is there any way to "go back in time" with the existing autosave function?  Or, is it possible to track down the NullReference error and fix it somewhere?

The Null error is most likely coming from one of the mods you have installed ... In order to find out exactly what is happening you will need to upload your KSP.log to a file sharing site and post the link here so that I or someone else who is willing can look in the log and see what is causing the issue (KSP.log can be found in your KSP directory)

As for saves .... Even if you haven't saved, the game does do the occasional autosave and you will find the last 5 autosaves in the Backup directory ... [your KSP directory]/Saves/[whatever your game was named]/Backup

Hope this helps

14 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

The Null error is most likely coming from one of the mods you have installed ... In order to find out exactly what is happening you will need to upload your KSP.log to a file sharing site and post the link here so that I or someone else who is willing can look in the log and see what is causing the issue (KSP.log can be found in your KSP directory)

As for saves .... Even if you haven't saved, the game does do the occasional autosave and you will find the last 5 autosaves in the Backup directory ... [your KSP directory]/Saves/[whatever your game was named]/Backup

Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into my saves.  Here's the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndy5mu0tewzpfo1/KSP.log?dl=0

55 minutes ago, Kerberos42 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into my saves.  Here's the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndy5mu0tewzpfo1/KSP.log?dl=0

Infernal Robotics is what is throwing that error

[ERR 17:48:30.169] Exception handling event onVesselDestroy in class ServoControllerFlight:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlightGlobals.get_Vessels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at InfernalRobotics.Command.ServoController.RebuildServoGroupsFlight () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at InfernalRobotics.Command.ServoController.OnVesselUnloaded (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[EXC 17:48:30.172] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FlightGlobals.get_Vessels ()
    InfernalRobotics.Command.ServoController.RebuildServoGroupsFlight ()
    InfernalRobotics.Command.ServoController.OnVesselUnloaded (.Vessel v)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
    Vessel:OnDestroy()

Thanks, is it possible to tell which part? As far as I know I'm not using any IR parts on the station. The only non stock parts I have are the KIS parts - Containers, Mounts, hand tools.  I was able to access an autosave just before things went haywire, and that seems stable, so I'm hoping the issue doesn't repeat.

Edited by Kerberos42

1 hour ago, Kerberos42 said:

Thanks, is it possible to tell which part? As far as I know I'm not using any IR parts on the station. The only non stock parts I have are the KIS parts - Containers, Mounts, hand tools.  I was able to access an autosave just before things went haywire, and that seems stable, so I'm hoping the issue doesn't repeat.

InfernalRobotics.Command.ServoController.RebuildServoGroupsFlight ()
    InfernalRobotics.Command.ServoController.OnVesselUnloaded (.Vessel v)

Something about a servo controller ... Do you perhaps have an mm config that adds that IR module to parts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.