What would you do if you saw an alien?

Piatzin

On 28 November 2017 at 2:49 AM, Earthlinger said:

Personally, if I saw a UFO, but never found out what it actually was, I'd most likely live in a tormented state of desperate curiosity for the rest of my life.

I'd eventually settle on some kind of explanation.

On 28 November 2017 at 2:49 AM, Earthlinger said:

If I saw an actual alien while alone in the forest, or, say, in my room, then I'd probably end up running away screaming. If it was in a public place, with other people around, then I might actually gather the courage to approach. Hopefully :P

In either case, I'd start by trying to talk to it.

On 28 November 2017 at 3:17 AM, NSEP said:

If i saw an actual alien, i would photograph and film it. If i could i would kill it and call the police so they can research it, but i don't know what would happend afterwards.

Yeah, photograph and film it. But don't kill it, and don't let anyone else know. Just try to get it to either safety go back to where it came from, or if that's not an option, I'd let it live in my house for a while especially if it was cute.

On 28 November 2017 at 3:17 AM, NSEP said:

If i was the alien myself on another planet, i would offer the natives resources like salt, metal, and tools.

I guess it depends what stuff I'd have from Earth, and what tech level the natives were at.

On 28 November 2017 at 3:25 AM, Nikolai said:

Assuming that it was a close encounter of the third kind (face-to-whatever contact), and assuming that I had the wherewithal to think clearly, I'd ask for evidence that I could take with me that he/she/it/they was an interstellar visitor.  It wouldn't have to be any kind of super-technological artifact, even -- I'd be content with a rock with no evidence of meteoric heating that unambiguously dated to eight billion years old, for example.

Oh, yeah, good idea.

On 28 November 2017 at 6:10 AM, adsii1970 said:

Simple. I'd ask them if I could go with them, providing...

If they had edible food, and I could bring my girlfriend too, I'd certainly ask this too.

23 hours ago, cubinator said:

Face to face with an alien creature, I would leave them some math. The numbers in base ten, some basic operations, pi, i...Then I would indicate that they should write down their response. Language is probably a no-go for the first conversation, but math is universal.

Maybe I would offer them a Rubik's Cube as a gift and demonstration of what humans are like. "We didn't have enough problems, so we made our own!"

What would showing them math accomplish? They could already tell that we're intelligent, from our houses, city lights etc.

18 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

No math. Tic-tac-toe.

Reveal hidden contents

60605981-A-game-of-noughts-and-crosses-o

Play several times with yourself, then start new game and ask the alien to join.

Unless they've send a full moron, it will get the idea.

Sounds kinda fun, if a bit boring.

2 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

What would showing them math accomplish? They could already tell that we're intelligent, from our houses, city lights etc.

Eventually, by sharing more and more complex math and physics, we could learn from them how to travel between the stars.

1. "Hello! My name is (...), my friend is (...). Please, can we have a talk about important things? Do you feel that somebody can help you to make your life better? Can we give you a book?"

2. "Hello! My name is (..), I represent the (...), Ltd. We are glad to offer you our new collection of perfume... So you buy two, you get a bonus for free: our special Nutrition Addition."

3. "Hello! A nice saucer. By the way, what are you doing tonight?"

Edited by kerbiloid

On 11/28/2017 at 10:53 AM, ARS said:

ask the reason why they come in the first place

OFFER WEAPON

Ill2.-3-Arrival-Heptapod-B.png

[snip]

Did the image embed properly?  It isn't on my side.  

Edited by DAL59

Shoot first, ask questions later.

On a more serious note: I feel like the friendly alien who just comes to say hello is fiction because Interstellar travel is an ernormous undertaking and far as we know FTL is impossible. Therefore Earth would have to be highly valuable for the aliens to justify the voyage, we'd then have the prospect of a invading force which wants to acquire our resources. Could be an armada like Independence day or just remnants of an alien civilization.

39 minutes ago, Mayer said:

we'd then have the prospect of a invading force which wants to acquire our resources.

Well, we're already consuming more resources than Earth could produce. I guess there would be nothing left for the aliens anyway.

Our 1500 year journey to this place called "Earth" has turned out to be useless and a waste of resources.

11 minutes ago, Delay said:

Well, we're already consuming more resources than Earth could produce. I guess there would be nothing left for the aliens anyway.

Hate to contradict enlighten you here, but your above statement is not in any way true.

If there's a shortage of food and resources on earth, it's because we're too stupid and bureaucratic to do things efficiently and help those in developing countries.

Sun = infinite energy

Money = dumb barrier

GMO's, vertical farming, nanotechnology, and a whole bunch of other emerging technologies = opportunity

Earth has more than enough to sustain us. The problem is we decided to do things in the least efficient way possible, and for some reason, refuse to change and improve.

Water and metals can be obtained for less delta vee from asteroids.  Three valid reasons for aliens to arrive:

1. Preventing us from becoming a rival space faring civilization in the future.

2. Scientific research

3. Uplifting or diplomacy

4. Colonization     

Maybe terraforming a lifeless rock is actually hard and Earth is a rare planet offering perfect conditions for life. The aliens could say, look at that blue dot, it's a perfect new home. Then they launch a couple of generation ships on its voyage to colonize Earth, but unable to return with them, so leaving is not an option.

1 hour ago, Mayer said:

Maybe terraforming a lifeless rock is actually hard and Earth is a rare planet offering perfect conditions for life. The aliens could say, look at that blue dot, it's a perfect new home. Then they launch a couple of generation ships on its voyage to colonize Earth, but unable to return with them, so leaving is not an option.

Reminds me of a movie:

district9poster_000.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.