What would you do if you saw an alien?

Piatzin

32 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Sure, but without language that would be very difficult. And that's assuming that we can even communicate with them at all. 

How can you explain an integration symbol without language? Heck, what if the alien is an adolescent and doesn't even understand calculus notation in their own, native, notation? Now, calculus may not show up in the "conversation", but there is the possibility that the alien you've met isn't really good at math. Like some of us humans.

So they sent him here to be with the other dummies? Sure I can buy that.

Though I'd like to think the very first visitor to a new world would not be someone's snot-nosed kid brother that they're trying to keep entertained while they're doing the actual interesting stuff a couple light years away.

30 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Sure, but without language that would be very difficult. And that's assuming that we can even communicate with them at all. 

How can you explain an integration symbol without language? Heck, what if the alien is an adolescent and doesn't even understand calculus notation in their own, native, notation? Now, calculus may not show up in the "conversation", but there is the possibility that the alien you've met isn't really good at math. Like some of us humans.

If they've just landed their spaceship on my planet, chances are they know a little math, enough to figure out "Hey, this thing is making patterns with that stick, maybe they are useful or meaningful to it". Also I never mentioned calculus. That can come later, but something like 2+2=4 would be conceivable, wouldn't it?

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

So they sent him here to be with the other dummies? Sure I can buy that.

Though I'd like to think the very first visitor to a new world would not be someone's snot-nosed kid brother that they're trying to keep entertained while they're doing the actual interesting stuff a couple light years away.

Who says it's their first visitor? For all we know, this could be their backyard. Or just a vacation stop. Or there may not be any aliens at all in the universe. We don't know anything about the situation.

For an old enough civilization, travelling across the void of space can easily be energetically equivalent (as a ratio) to driving your car to the next town.

No math. Tic-tac-toe.

Spoiler

60605981-A-game-of-noughts-and-crosses-o

Play several times with yourself, then start new game and ask the alien to join.

Unless they've send a full moron, it will get the idea.

Spoiler

Then you can proceed with blackjack and poker.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

No math. Tic-tac-toe.

How would this help lol

I find it doubtful that aliens would come all the way over here just to have the inhabitants of Earth teach them cards and games with circles and X's :D

19 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

How would this help

How would help the Pythagoras theoreme or what they usually draw to show that we are sapient and establish contact?
Tic-tac-toe requires no special knowledge, is available to any child and definitely shows that the contactor is a sapient being.
The alien, in turn, also isn't forced to recall his school math lessons.
If the alien joins the party, this will also be a beginning of conversation.

Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

teach them cards

And take their spaceship playing blackjack.

Edited by kerbiloid

Well, I would grab a gun for contingency, go to the store, snatch a hazmat suit (pay for it), as there is 100% chance that they have bacteria on them, flash red, blue, and yellow light at them, see if they respond. If they do, I would attempt to flash blue twice, etc.

Ya know, get a conversation going

5 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

My mom insists that she saw these glowing orbs of light in her room once (which zipped around before disappearing)

Surely not vehicle headlights ?  They can be quite confusing.

The only time I saw a UFO with naked eye, turns out to be a lost kite. Thought it was a really dim tiny asterism, but as it wiggles and change dimension it shows what it really is. Ofc never spot one in a telescope ! Those would count as a space object or nova and I could report or somesuch.

Edited by YNM

10 minutes ago, YNM said:

No, apparently it was quite clear:

She was sitting in her bed (with baby me, apparently) when six or seven of the orbs appeared and zipped around in an irregular fashion. I think it was night though, but she says the curtains were drawn, and that the orbs were definitely not on the walls; they were floating in midair.

Most interesting. Perhaps I've been marked by aliens visitors! :D

Marked for what, you might ask. Good question. Maybe dinner :o

46 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Have any of you actually seen UFO's/'aliens?'

My mom insists that she saw these glowing orbs of light in her room once (which zipped around before disappearing) but I'm not sure if she's pulling my leg or.... :D

41 minutes ago, YNM said:

The only time I saw a UFO with naked eye, turns out to be a lost kite. Thought it was a really dim tiny asterism, but as it wiggles and change dimension it shows what it really is. Ofc never spot one in a telescope ! Those would count as a space object or nova and I could report or somesuch.

28 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

No, apparently it was quite clear:

She was sitting in her bed (with baby me, apparently) when six or seven of the orbs appeared and zipped around in an irregular fashion. I think it was night though, but she says the curtains were drawn, and that the orbs were definitely not on the walls; they were floating in midair.

Most interesting. Perhaps I've been marked by aliens visitors! :D

Marked for what, you might ask. Good question. Maybe dinner :o

Uh... sorry to burst y'all's glowing bubbles, but I have an explanation. I actually saw this on the weather channel a while back, so my memory's a bit rusty.

Basically, there's this weird nature phenomenon where lightning is seen in tiny orb-like shapes. Generally these tend to just go through whatever they please, and probably burn them into a crisp.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

Meeting UFO? Hmmm... let's see...

What they did = my response

observing silently = do the same

Landing = come to see

Greeting = greet back

Understanding each other = make friend

Asking about earth = ask the reason why they come in the first place.There'll be 3 results

If they come just for curiosity = show more of the earth

If they want to establish relationship = gladly accept

If they want to blow up the planet/ exterminate/ enslave/ abduct = shoot them in the face

Speaking of UFO, I've seen quite a lot of them, but my first sighting of "UFO" is quite hillarious since after confirming what the object was, it turns out that what was presumed to be UFO was just a flying plastic bag :P

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

Have any of you actually seen UFO's/'aliens?'

My mom insists that she saw these glowing orbs of light in her room once (which zipped around before disappearing) but I'm not sure if she's pulling my leg or.... :D

I once saw a Hot Airballoon UFO and an RC plane with fireworks UFO that failed to get back into space. My crush is also too cute and lovely to have originated from Earth.

1 hour ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Basically, there's this weird nature phenomenon where lightning is seen in tiny orb-like shapes. Generally these tend to just go through whatever they please, and probably burn them into a crisp.

Yeah, but there's usually just one ball, not six or seven.

Don't burst my bubble :(:D

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

3 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

If it was ball lightning @Earthlinger is very lucky to be left unscathed. Ball lightnings only happen "close" (time-wise and space-wise) to an actual lightning.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

My crush is also too cute and lovely to have originated from Earth.

Don't you worry that she might see these posts? I mean, I'm sure your real name isn't 'NSEP' but she could probably figure things out if she joined the forums. Or something...

Edited by Earthlinger

25 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Don't you worry she might see these posts? I mean, I'm sure your name isn't 'NSEP' but she could probably figure things out if she joined the forums. Or something...

No, she doesn't even read English. The chances of her going on this forum is extremely low. 

9 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Is she a foreigner, or are you saying she....can't..................read....

Yeah she is not a native English Speaker, neither am i. 

Im an Alien from another continent and im here to tell you all about cheese and wooden shoes.

5 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Yeah she is not a native English Speaker, neither am i. 

Im an Alien from another continent and im here to tell you all about cheese and wooden shoes.

Lol. Where are you from? (I'm technically Mexican, since I was born there, but I grew up in Canada, so.....identity issues lol :P)

3 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Lol. Where are you from? (I'm technically Mexican, since I was born there, but I grew up in Canada, so.....identity issues lol :P)

The Netherlands.

3 minutes ago, MrChumley said:

Please. Tell us more about the cheese. :D

Our cheese is one of the only cheese on the planet that does not taste like candy or smelly feet, and that is not full of holes. Here, have a digital taste:

dutch-cheese.png?itok=y85CW38j

5 minutes ago, NSEP said:

The Netherlands.

Our cheese is one of the only cheese on the planet that does not taste like candy or smelly feet, and that is not full of holes. Here, have a digital taste:

dutch-cheese.png?itok=y85CW38j

Ah ok.

That looks delicious :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.