[1.12.x] Interstellar Flight Inc. Life Support

linuxgurugamer

Old life support mod, originally written by @Stavell, original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83019-releasev32ksp-12-interstellar-flight-inc-kerbal-life-support-mod/&

This is a NEW beta, after extensive reworking and parts

Availability

Dependencies

Major changes from the original mod are in the following spoiler

Spoiler

• Added settings page
  • Added configurable values
  • Removed hard-coding of planet names
  • All settings are now based on planet values
  • Breathable atmosphere is only on the homeworld.
  • Optimized some calculations (consolidated constants)
  • Cleaned up the MM script to be calculated rather than hard-coded
  • Tested to work with DeepFreeze
  • Added Logo screen
  • Added CTT support
  • Added hiding of part in the tech tree if they aren't available (based on the level selected in the settings)
  • Hides parts in the editor if they aren't available

• Added the PartModules into the release build to avoid unnecessary warning/errors in the log file
  • Updated the part configs for the tanks to share the textures, reduces memory usage and loading time
  • Replaced textures for the slurry and sludge tanks 
  • Added OrganicSlurry and Sludge to LS display, only displayed if LS mode allows
  • Fixed bug where Slurry and Sludge tanks were launching full
  • Add Slurry rate and Sludge rate (rate/day of processing)

• Fixed techRequired for the small radial tank, it was misplaced

• Renamed Basic to Classic life support
  • Added some tooltips to the settings page
  • Rewrite the status page
  • Added color coding matching toolbar button
  • Changed gui skin to KSP's skin
  • Changed display of slurry and sludge rate to days to process

• Updated status page to have columns dynamically sized
  • Added process rate to status display
  • Added Auto Warp Cancellation lead time to settings
  • Updated texture for radial tank

• Added resizable status window
  • Added option in Settings to show/hide OrganicSlurry & Sludge in the part resource panel

• Updated right-click display of LS values
    • Changed Caution to 1-3 days for pod, 0.5-1 for EVA
    • Changed Warning! to 0-1 day for pod, 0-0.5 for EVA
    • Added Danger! status for LS = 0
  • Removed PartUpdate class, replaced with MM script
  • Optimization pass
    • Replaced about half the "foreach" statements with the "for (int i < ...)"
  • Removed Slurry capacity from command pods
  • Added Vessel Info screen for the editor
  • Updated Slurry and Sludge texture for IFITank

New changes for the 4.0.0 beta

• Added flag to toggle skin
  • Changed name of life support resource to "Kibbles & Bits"
  • Changed time to die from seconds to hours
  • Added option to not die during timewarp
  • Added configurable delay for display updates
  • All animations working properly.
  • Added code to prevent starting lights when solar panels are closed
  • Fixed air compressor scaling
  • Added textures to new tanks for liquid and gas O2
  • Added new tank parts from JadeOfMaar 
  • Combined existing tanks from 9 to 3, using B9 Part Switcher to switch between them
  • Removed IFITank parts, as they were just a duplicate of other tanks
  • Merged the K&B container tanks into one with variable sizing
  • Adjusted all  parts models to use the MODEL stanza
  • Set all rescaleFactor settings to 1, moved the scaling into the MODEL stanza
  • Fixed all attach node sizes and locations
  • Updated the metaball parts to liimit the switichable parts in flight
  • Interstellar Flight Inc. Life Support

IFI Life Support is designed to provide an enjoyable life support experience without making it complicated.  There is one main resource called LifeSupport, and, in the advanced modes, there are two more, OrganicSlurry and Sludge.  The only resource you really need to deal with in all modes is the LifeSupport resource, the other resources are there for the mechanics, and, while you can store them in tanks and move them around, there isn’t a lot to do with them.

The mod is designed so that you can switch between the different modes of operation at any time without causing problems.  So, you can start off at the Classic mode, and over time change it to Enhanced, Advanced and Extreme.  If you feel that the higher modes are too difficult, you can easily change it back to a lower mode.  Any existing ships will continue to operate in the mode they were designed in; ie:  If you have a ship/colony which is using the Enhanced mode and has greenhouses, and then switch back to Classic, the greenhouses will continue to work, etc.

Requirements

IFI-LS requires the following mods:

• Community Category Kit
  • Community Resource Pack
  • ModuleManager

These mods are included in the zip file for convenience.

Please note that there is a directory called Squad, this MUST be merged with the Squad folder since it contains icons for the Tech Tree.

IFI Life Support has 4 modes of operation:

Classic

• Only the LifeSupport resource is available.  Each unit of Life-Support should provide 1 Kerbin Day (6 hours) of Life support for 1 Kerbal when in space, see below for details on the operation info

Enhanced

• This introduces the OrganicSlurry resource and greenhouses.  When a Kerbal uses LifeSupport, the output is OrganicSlurry, produced at a 1:1 ratio;  in other words, if a Kerbal uses 1 unit of LifeSupport, a unit of OrganicSlurry will be produced.
  • Greenhouses are able to convert most of the OrganicSlurry back into LifeSupport, at a 90% efficiency.  Tanks are also provided which can store Organic Slurry.

Advanced

• This introduces the Sludge resource, and the MicroBiome and AlgaeHouse.  The 10% of the LifeSupport resource which the greenhouses are unable to recycle create Sludge.  The MicroBiome and AlgaeHouse are able to take that Sludge and convert it back into LifeSupport.  The efficiency is 100%, although slow.  As usual, tanks are provided which can store the Sludge.

Extreme

This mode doesn’t introduce any new resources, but there are some new parts:  the Circular Intake, the Cryogenic Air Separator and the BioReactor.  The functionality is described, but the resources they deal with are totally hidden:

• The Circular Intake pulls in outside atmosphere and filters out everything except Oxygen, and then feeds that into the Cryogenic Air Separator.
  • The Cryogenic Air Separator takes that Oxygen and converts it into compressed O2, and then feeds that into the BioReactor
  • The BioReactor takes in the compressed O2, Sludge and Ore (stock Ore), and produces more LifeSupport as output than was taken in as Sludge.

All of the active parts also need EC to operate.

Experiments and Parts

All crewed parts automatically have enough life support for 3 days with a full crew.  If you don’t put a full crew on, the life support will last longer.

The Greenhouses, MicroBiome, AlgaeHouse and BioReactor all need some experiments to be run before they will work.  The experiment needs to be run in the biome where the parts are working. 

• The greenhouses need to have the experiment: BSS-1 (Biological Systems Study-1) to be run
  • The AlgaeHouse and BioReactor need the experiment BSS-G (Biological Systems Study-Goo)
  • The BioReactor needs the Biosphere Containment Study experiment run

Operation Info

There are three way of seeing the status of the life support systems:

• Toolbar Button
  • Status Display window shown by clicking the toolbar button
  • Right-click menu on parts

Toolbar Button

The toolbar will change color depending on the status of the worst off craft

• Green - All craft have sufficient LifeSupport
  • Yellow - At least one craft has less than three days of life support available
  • Red - At least one crat has less than 1 day of life support remaining

Status Display Window

The Status Display window shows the current status of all vessels with crew on-board, depending on the mode the Life Support mod is currently in:

• Classic - Shows the name of the vessel, where it is, how much crew is there and how many days of LifeSupport remains
  • Improved - Added the ability to show how much OrganicSlurry the rate at which the vessel is able to process it, and how much time will take to process it.  The window is expandable by clicking the double-arrow button at the lower-right of the screen.
  • Enhanced - Added Sludge to the window
  • Extreme - No changes beyond the Enhanced

Right-Click Menu

The right-click menu shows the the current status of status of the life support for the part.  Currently there are several Status LS system can be in (note that the CAUTION, Warning! and Danger! have not yet been updated to the following):

• Pod Standby - No demand for LS and no resources consumed. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining is hidden.
  • Active - Demand for LS and resources consumed. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how long LS will last for whole vessel.
  • Visor - Kerbal on EVA breathing outside air decreased Resource consumption. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how much LS remains once active again (fixing).
  • Intake Air - Pod using air intakes to provide O2 to crew - decreased Resource consumption. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how much LS remains once active again.
  • CAUTION - Less than 3 days pod or 1/2 to 1 hour EVA of LS remaining. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how long LS will last for whole vessel.
  • Warning! - Less than 1 days pod or 1/2  hour EVA of LS
  • Danger! - LS at 0, remaining Kerbals will start dying if immediate action not taken. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read 0.  There is a setting to prevent Kerbals from dying.

Each unit of Life-Support should provide 1 Kerbin Day (6 hours) of Life support for 1 Kerbal. In Career and Science game modes this goes up and down based on Tech tree.

Tech Tree

All parts are included in a new branch of the stock tech tree.  This branch appears at the bottom of the screen when you are displaying the tech tree.

The Community Tech Tree is also supported

Settings

The settings page uses the stock settings page, to get to it, hit Escape,  select Settings, click the Difficulty Options button, and then click the IFI Life Support button in the left column.

There are two columns on  the settings page.  The first column selects the mode which you want the mod to operate in, one of Basic, Improved, Advanced or Extreme.

The second column has the various adjustable values for the mod.  At the top of the column you will see four toggles: Easy, Normal, Moderate and Hard.  Selecting one of these will set all the values below to the defaults for that difficulty level.  These levels are automatically set when you create a new game based on the game difficulty, these are here to make it easy to switch the mod between the different levels.

Below the toggles are sliders for the various multipliers.

• LS rate per day
  • Breathable Atmo pressure (min allowed)
  • Min. Intake Air Atmo Pressure
  • Breathable Homeworld Atmo adj, reduces the LS usage when on the homeworld
  • Breathable Atmo adj, reduces the LS usage when on a planet with Oxygen
  • Low EC Adj, when not enough EC, LS usage is increased

Mod uses the time as set in settings menu so it will track 6 or 24 hour days depending on setting in main menu. Days remaining on RT click menu are accurate based on this setting. Only change in mod is that if not using kerbin time each Kerbal requires 4 units of LS per day.

The following diagram shows the interactions between the different modules:
qrhhXMg.png

New Parts

JDuchlI.png

gTqiH9f.png

Cwx6M9L.png

PtzS06s.png

2gafJKN.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Congratulations on this massive addition to the best and simplest life support mod.

This is a great jumping on LS mod for anyone who wants to wet their feet in extended gameplay.

Peace.

Thanks. 

Keep in mind that development isn't done, but it's progressed enough for people to try out now.

Update:  3.4.0.1

• Added the PartModules into the release build to avoid unnecessary warning/errors in the log file
  • Updated the part configs for the tanks to share the textures, reduces memory usage and loading time
  • Replaced textures for the slurry and sludge tanks 
  • Added OrganicSlurry and Sludge to LS display, only displayed if LS mode allows
  • Fixed bug where Slurry and Sludge tanks were launching full
  • Add Slurry rate and Sludge rate (rate/day of processing)
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Update 3.4.0.3 - Alpha 4

• Renamed Basic to Classic life support
  • Added some tooltips to the settings page
  • Rewrite the status page
  • Added color coding matching toolbar button
  • Changed gui skin to KSP's skin
  • Changed display of slurry and sludge rate to days to process

I'm pretty much done with new features, now it's just a matter of testing and fixing any issues

My Sunday night stream is going to be devoted to this mod

Been testing.   I prefer the classic but have been trying all levels.  All seems ok but the quit warp function when LS is low seems to be set to engage at less than 3 days in my games.  If I recall correctly, it use to start at less than a day.  It is a on/off button with no settings.

4 hours ago, jpkerman said:

Been testing.   I prefer the classic but have been trying all levels.  All seems ok but the quit warp function when LS is low seems to be set to engage at less than 3 days in my games.  If I recall correctly, it use to start at less than a day.  It is a on/off button with no settings.

I havent changed that, but is easy enough to do so.  Ill add a choice on 1, 2, or 3 days

New release, Beta-3

• Updated right-click display of LS values
    • Changed Caution to 1-3 days for pod, 0.5-1 for EVA
    • Changed Warning! to 0-1 day for pod, 0-0.5 for EVA
    • Added Danger! status for LS = 0
  • Removed PartUpdate class, replaced with MM script
  • Optimization pass
    • Replaced about half the "foreach" statements with the "for (int i < ...)"
  • Removed Slurry capacity from command pods
  • Added Vessel Info screen for the editor
  • Updated Slurry and Sludge texture for IFITank

I removed some content here in this thread. Going around the profanity filter is as against the rules as using straight-out profanity and so is attacking users personally. If you don't like a mod, don't use it. Offending people out of spite will get you nowhere, and is not seen well here in this forum. Well, actually, it's not seen well anywhere in life.

Edited by monstah
typo

8 hours ago, monstah said:

If you don't like a mod, don't use it. Offending people out of spite will get you nowhere, and is not seen well here in this forum.

^ This.  Also, just wanted to toss in my own two cents, here.

The pruned content involved a request for a feature change in the mod.  It's fine to do that.  Mod authors, in general, love to receive constructive feedback that can help them make their mods better.

But in this particular case, the "request" was couched in a very confrontational, rude, and demanding way, which is not okay.

First and foremost, let's get one thing straight about the relationship between mod authors and mod users:

Mod authors don't owe mod users anything.  At all.  Period, full stop.  That's because they're spending lots of time and effort and energy, for free, to give people shiny toys to play with, for free.  A very important corollary of that is that it is never appropriate to complain about the mod in the mod's thread.

It's as if someone were to throw open the doors of their house, put out a big sign saying "FREE COOKIES!", and invite the general public inside, purely out of the generosity of their hearts, with no ulterior motive.  In such a situation, if you walk into their house and help yourself to the cookies, it's pretty poor form to angrily complain that there's something wrong.  If you don't like 'em, don't eat 'em.  It's basic politeness, it's that simple.

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make requests or offer constructive feedback-- those are fine.  In fact, it's great if you do that!  It helps modders understand their users better, and that sort of thing can be very valuable to the modder.  You may be doing them a favor by doing so, as long as it's not couched as a complaint.

However-- and this is very important-- when making such a post, one must constantly bear in mind that the modder doesn't owe you anything.  Also, remember that nobody put a gun to your head and made you use the mod.

So, to summarize all that:

• What's okay:  Making a polite, civil request to someone who's been doing you a favor, for free.
  • What's also okay:  Deciding not to use a mod, if you don't like something about it.
  • What's not okay:  Angry complaints to someone who owes you nothing.

Thank you for your understanding.

Using windows 10, ksp 1.3.1, LS 342. For some reason I can't open the Garden in a can greenhouse in orbit or on the launch pad. Only can open it in the VAB. What do I need to open the greenhouse to process Life Support? If you could point me in the right direction, anyone? Btw, seems I can open and close the doors and start recycle in the Sandbox mode.

Edited by Shiva

6 hours ago, Shiva said:

Using windows 10, ksp 1.3.1, LS 342. For some reason I can't open the Garden in a can greenhouse in orbit or on the launch pad. Only can open it in the VAB. What do I need to open the greenhouse to process Life Support? If you could point me in the right direction, anyone? Btw, seems I can open and close the doors and start recycle in the Sandbox mode.

First, your log file.

Second, some details about your career, please.

And, are you using CTT or not?

And, is there some sort of command module on it?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Not using CTT, was that on the list? Have a MK1 command module, two ifi life support tanks.. 4 spl 1x6 photovoltic panels. Also on Kerbal in the command module. an engineer. Only got to the tech tree where the greenhouse is.. Love this mod, hope there is a solution.

New release, 3.4.3:

• Fixed greenhouses not activating after experiments were done
  • Improved status display of reasons greenhouse is not active
  • Reduced refresh interval from 15 to 3 seconds 

Don't forget that you have to run experiments in the destination location BEFORE the greenhouse and other parts will work.

Loaded in the new release, but it seems the BSS-1 had now disappeared. Can't run the experiments. And I guess I can't open the doors on the greenhouse without running the experiments.

My bad, I see I do not have the science for the BSS-1 yet, on the next step. I guess you can't open the doors of the greenhouse without it. Will see what happens when I purchase that part with more science. I see the BSS-1 on the tree, a bit further up.

Edited by Shiva

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

Loaded in the new release, but it seems the BSS-1 had now disappeared. Can't run the experiments. And I guess I can't open the doors on the greenhouse without running the experiments.

My bad, I see I do not have the science for the BSS-1 yet, on the next step. I guess you can't open the doors of the greenhouse without it. Will see what happens when I purchase that part with more science. I see the BSS-1 on the tree, a bit further up.

That's a mistake. I had it correct for the community tech .  Apparently I missed it in stock. The BSS is supposed to be before the greenhouse not after.

I'll get an update out later this evening.

Edited by linuxgurugamer