[1.12.x] Interstellar Flight Inc. Life Support

linuxgurugamer

On the stream you asked what people liked in existing life support mods. I answered a bit in chat but it got a bit confused.

TACLS - too much detail for detail's sake. There's no point having kerbals need Food, Water, and Oxygen when you can just pack the same duration's supply of all three - the resources might as well be called "Sn", "ac", and "ks". If they actually had some distinct functionality that might be a different matter. TACLS also just has too-low numbers; a kerbal needs roughly 0.4kg supply per Kerbin day, so (unless I have made some hilarious arithmetic error) this means a Mk I Command Pod and kerbal needs the pod's weight again in supplies for a five (kerbal) year mission. This is not a hard requirement to satisfy so TACLS becomes another annoying thing to forget but not a serious issue that needs planning.

USILS I use now. I appreciate the way it's simple for short missions and complex for long ones - with other LS mods if a month's mission wants a 10kg tank of supplies, a ten-month mission wants a 100kg tank of supplies and you're just doing the same thing with bigger numbers. Partly this is because of the range of recycler and agroponics options (albeit most of them do come down to saying, well, this recycler weighs X kg and saves Y g consumption every day so it breaks even in this much time) but mostly because of the habitation mechanic which, while it can be gamed very easily, if you don't game it does really add a new mechanic to worry about.

USILS does have the arguable downside that it pulls you into the orbit of the rest of the USI mod constellation, but apart from the enormous horde of WOLF parts cluttering up the VAB, I can live with that. (Yeah, I know, the Janitor's Closet...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

New release, 4.0.0.10

• Fixed  nullref caused when mod was not enabled
  • Added saving of ProtoCrewMember.KerbalType as well as the trait
  • Changed IFIMess calls to Log.Warning, removed IFIMess() 
  • Made messaging of kerbalsl being turned to tourist and restored to active duty consistent
  • Changed minimum update frequency from 15 to 5 seconds
  • Fixed tourists not being reset back to Kerbals when LS restored

Development is not yet done, but it is now in a released state.  There is a lot of cleanup to be done in the code, but nothing (at present) which affects the functionality

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be so very dope for this mod to work with SSPX!

Also, is this mod compatible with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems? The greenhouse part has an option to "Start Farming" in the VAB, but bring it to the launchpad and it disappears along with resource quantities.

3 hours ago, Zuriel said:

It would be so very dope for this mod to work with SSPX!

Also, is this mod compatible with Kerbal Planetary Base Systems? The greenhouse part has an option to "Start Farming" in the VAB, but bring it to the launchpad and it disappears along with resource quantities.

Will be merging the SSPX patch this weekend

I don' think there are patches specific to KPBS

• 5 months later...

Throwing together some extra MM patch files for BDB, HabTech2, and to expand on the SSPX patch. I've been eyeing 15 days of supplies for station modules unless otherwise specified, and certain crew capsules are getting tuned contents. Does anyone have any other suggestions for durations?

Exceptions to the 15 day guideline:
HABTECH
-MPLMs are getting significantly more capacity to suit their role as logistics modules. The larger one gets twice the quantity of the smaller

BDB:

• Saturn Venus Flyby Module is getting a significant cache of resources to accommodate the intended high-duration mission.
  • AARDVs get 30 days for 4 (Block 1) or 6 (Block 2) crew.
  • Apollo Mission Modules get 5 days (Block 3) or 6 days (Block 4) for the full crew complement.
  • Classic Apollo gets 20 days of supplies to support Minmus missions. Might nerf that down to the default 3 days if I find it OP.
  • LM Shelters and Shelter Labs are being fitted for the duration/crew loads quoted in their descriptions
  • Agena/Belle Resupply container gets 30 crew-days of supplies.. Gemini/Leo Resupply capsule gets 60 crew-days.
  • Skylab and Foreign Experiment Module get 30 days for full crew. Might drop the FEM down to default, as I am going to experiment with using it as a freeflying lab.

21 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Throwing together some extra MM patch files for BDB, HabTech2, and to expand on the SSPX patch. I've been eyeing 15 days of supplies for station modules unless otherwise specified, and certain crew capsules are getting tuned contents. Does anyone have any other suggestions for durations?

Exceptions to the 15 day guideline:
HABTECH
-MPLMs are getting significantly more capacity to suit their role as logistics modules. The larger one gets twice the quantity of the smaller

BDB:

• Saturn Venus Flyby Module is getting a significant cache of resources to accommodate the intended high-duration mission.
  • AARDVs get 30 days for 4 (Block 1) or 6 (Block 2) crew.
  • Apollo Mission Modules get 5 days (Block 3) or 6 days (Block 4) for the full crew complement.
  • Classic Apollo gets 20 days of supplies to support Minmus missions. Might nerf that down to the default 3 days if I find it OP.
  • LM Shelters and Shelter Labs are being fitted for the duration/crew loads quoted in their descriptions
  • Agena/Belle Resupply container gets 30 crew-days of supplies.. Gemini/Leo Resupply capsule gets 60 crew-days.
  • Skylab and Foreign Experiment Module get 30 days for full crew. Might drop the FEM down to default, as I am going to experiment with using it as a freeflying lab.

Looking forward to it

• 3 months later...

For some reason there's a stutter every single time the Display Update Frequency occurs (which gets really annoying at every 1 second and slightly irritating at every 15 seconds) and I cant seem to fix it.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:58 PM, Keko said:

For some reason there's a stutter every single time the Display Update Frequency occurs (which gets really annoying at every 1 second and slightly irritating at every 15 seconds) and I cant seem to fix it.

that's when the calculations are done.  How many ships do you have (both loaded and unloaded)?  Also, what are your system specs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 1:27 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

that's when the calculations are done.  How many ships do you have (both loaded and unloaded)?  Also, what are your system specs?

• RTX 3070
  • i7-10700K
  • 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 

It was at the start of a new save when I was barely getting Kerbals around the Mun, so mostly 1 ship.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for how long this post is going to be, it’s my first time ever speaking to the KSP community, and I have a long list of problems to say. Also, I know the mod creator is busy with lots of stuff so I don’t expect this to get resolved anytime soon but I would like them to know about these issues.

I have been using this mod for a little over a month and while I love it to death I have run into many issues with it. I will go through these issues in chronological order.

I first started playing this mod on one of my longer standing career saves on my Windows PC back at home. Everything was going smoothly until one day I completed a contract where I had to rescue a Kerbal stuck a utility module (provided by stock alike station parts) in low Kerben orbit. There was a minor bug that made the utility module spawn without life support so the stranded Kerbal without was instantly turned into a tourist. Since I only needed to rescue them, this was fine. But once I completed the mission, I pressed the recovery button, and I was met with a message saying the recovery has been requested. I thought this was a part of the mod, so I tried to go back to the space center, but that button didn’t work either. In fact, every button no longer worked. I terminated the game and loaded it back up. It put me back in the Space Center but once again, none of the buttons worked. I could only enter the research building and that was it, I couldn’t even exit the building. I tried opening the console to see if there was an explanation there but due to my lack of programing knowledge, I didn’t really understand anything. When KSP is in this broken state, and I try to press the quit to main menu button I get the error in the console “object reference not set to an instance of object”. I know everything I just described is IFILS’s fault since everything goes back to normal when I remove it.

I thought all those issues might have been due to how long I have had that career save for. Seeing how I need to return to college soon where my only way to game is a steam deck, I decided to start a new career mode save on my steam deck. Due to my lack of understanding of how Linux works I couldn’t figure out how to install CKAN and just copied my mod files from my window desktop to my steam deck. Everything was going fine on this new save. I did have a minor bug where sometimes when a kerbal goes on EVA it causes the craft to spin faster and faster until it gets torn to pieces. But one day I asked Valentina to go on an EVA. Before I could let go of the craft to prevent the spinning glitch, she gets flung off the craft and disappears. I get informed that she became a tourist due to a lack of life support and I’m back to where I was in the last paragraph all the buttons no longer work and when I press quit to main menu, the console says, “object reference not set to an instance of object”.

At this point my basic understanding of this glitch is that when I create a new save, a timer starts. Once the timer hits zero all my buttons will break, which I will find out the next time I try to exit the game. Knowing this, I have started a science mode save on my steam deck and everything has been fine so far. The only bug I ran into is that when I try to take Valentina on an EVA, she instantly becomes a tourist because she doesn’t take any life support with her. I took Jeb out for an EVA (on the same mission) and he did not have this problem. Also, later in the mission Val’s parachute and EVA pack disappeared from her inventory.

I’m assuming this is just a series of terrible bugs that will get fixed in the future, but can anyone tell me how to mitigate them or even why they are happening in the first place? If you want me to pull out a log or something you will have to tell me how since I have never really dug around in the KSP folders. (This is my first time posting anything so I am under moderation restriction, my reply might take a second.) 

17 hours ago, Strelka_005 said:

Sorry for how long this post is going to be, it’s my first time ever speaking to the KSP community, and I have a long list of problems to say. Also, I know the mod creator is busy with lots of stuff so I don’t expect this to get resolved anytime soon but I would like them to know about these issues.

Ok, let's start off with the beginning.

Some of what you described is a KSP bug, some may not be.

I need a log file:  

On 3/18/2024 at 8:43 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, let's start off with the beginning.

Some of what you described is a KSP bug, some may not be.

I need a log file:  

Thank you for responding so quickly, I appreciate it. Sorry that I can't return the favor due to college. 

Not sure if I followed the instructions correctly but I found the following logs:

KSP.log

MMpatch.log

Module Manger.log

log.txt (I labeled it as the IFILS log since I found it in the IFILS folder) 

I have all of the logs in the this drop box: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/cq26uwx8csrxgcxjkz6hc/h?rlkey=gdtjwz8zd2gwv9w1sdqi97k5b&dl=0

For context (if you need it) Friday, 3/15 is when my second career mode save broke down. After it broke, I tried ripping out a lot of mods to see if it would fix the button issues. Also, on this day, I started the science mode save.  On Saturday 3/16 I continued the science mode save and ran into the various bugs regarding Val.

If there is a specific log you're looking for or if you want me to do something specific in game to see what gets recorded into the log let me know. 

Thank you for trying to help me.