[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

1) That works, alternatively you can order the partlist by size, then they are all together due to using the same model.

2) The textures are so small, compression to DXT1 doesn't really do much and/or could even make them bigger. Be sure to compare file sizes afterwards.

3) THAT is actually really good. Never knew this tool existed, thanks!

Have some Rep!

Sorry to butt in but on

2) The textures are so small, compression to DXT1 doesn't really do much and/or could even make them bigger. Be sure to compare file sizes afterwards.

file size really don't mean much unless you are running out of harddrive space if you look at the debug menu think it's far right tab you can see how much memory is being used this mod might be hard to tell because of the size but even if DDS might be a larger file size it still can save you on memory in game check it out sometime.

that's what i tink too, it can still make the loading faster and save a bit of memory in-game.

I finally checked the module manager code and done it, because i use Ckan to install most of my mod and dont want to mess everything if a depency is needed (and you too i suppose),

So here is the 2 patches i wrote: (create a .txt file, copy/paste the code below, save it as .cfg and put it in the KSP game data folder)

updated, see [url=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16925-1-0-4-Aviation-Lights-v3-7-%2816DEC14%29?p=2129920&viewfull=1#post2129920]post #633[/url]

updated, see [url=http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/16925-1-0-4-Aviation-Lights-v3-7-%2816DEC14%29?p=2129920&viewfull=1#post2129920]post #633[/url]

thank you for the rep! have it too :D

Edited by Skalou

• 3 weeks later...
that's what i tink too, it can still make the loading faster and save a bit of memory in-game.

I finally checked the module manager code and done it, because i use Ckan to install most of my mod and dont want to mess everything if a depency is needed (and you too i suppose),

So here is the 2 patches i wrote: (create a .txt file, copy/paste the code below, save it as .cfg and put it in the KSP game data folder)

MM_AviationLights_changename by Skalou
//change the name displayed ingame

@PART[lightbeacon_amber]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Beaconlight Amber
}

@PART[lightbeacon_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Beaconlight Red
}

@PART[lightnav_blue]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Navlight Blue
}

@PART[lightnav_green]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Navlight Green
}

@PART[lightnav_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Navlight Red
}

@PART[lightnav_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Navlight White
}

@PART[lightstrobe_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
title = Illumination Strobelight White
}

MM_AviationLights_iconfixer by Skalou
//rotate the icon in VAB/SPH,need the mod particon fixer

@PART[lightbeacon_amber]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightbeacon_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_blue]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_green]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightstrobe_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

thank you for the rep! have it too :D

Are you changing an existing title with the first MM file? If so, I recommend putting an "@" before "title", just like you did with "PART". Or a "%". Remember, "@" will edit/replace only existing values/keys, whereas "%" will also edit/replace existing values/keys, but if the key doesn't exist then it will create one!

In the end it might not matter, but just in case this will make sure there is only one key called "title".

Is there something that I did to install it wrong?

Possibly. I installed this under 1.0.4 and tested a green nav light and amber beacon light and both worked just fine. Then again it's not hard to install - just drop the folder into GameData

Are you changing an existing title with the first MM file? If so, I recommend putting an "@" before "title", just like you did with "PART". Or a "%". Remember, "@" will edit/replace only existing values/keys, whereas "%" will also edit/replace existing values/keys, but if the key doesn't exist then it will create one!

In the end it might not matter, but just in case this will make sure there is only one key called "title".

all parts have a tittle (tittle is the part's name displayed "in-game" like in the VAB),

so, if i understand you, i should do this to be safer?:

{

@title = Illumination Beaconlight Amber

}

{

%iconRotation = 0,90,0

}

Edited by Skalou

all parts have a tittle (tittle is the part's name displayed "in-game" like in the VAB),

so, if i understand you, i should do this to be safer?:

{

}

{

%iconRotation = 0,90,0

}

Using the '%' operator should be the default, it modifies existing entries, and if none exists, will create it.

Use no operator only to explicitly create another entry with the same name (and an implicate numbered suffix), which you don't want unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Most people use the '@' only because it was historically the first operator MM had and it has since become self-propagating and, as some rumours go, sentient.

thank's for clarification,

Because i know the modified parts, i think i don't need the default settings.

So @ for changing the existing title (if there isn't any tittle, it's a problem with the part, and so prefer the patch don't create anything),

% for the icon rotation to create a new one or modify the values given by an other MMpatch.

all of this just for safety.

the updated patches:

MM_AviationLights_ChangeTitle by Skalou
//Change the title displayed "in-game" like in the VAB/SPH for the aviation lights.
//Tested on KSP version 1.0.5 with the mod "Aviation lights" version 3.8 .

{
}

@PART[lightbeacon_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
@title = Illumination Beaconlight Red
}

@PART[lightnav_blue]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
@title = Illumination Navlight Blue
}

@PART[lightnav_green]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
@title = Illumination Navlight Green
}

@PART[lightnav_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
@title = Illumination Navlight Red
}

@PART[lightnav_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
@title = Illumination Navlight White
}

@PART[lightstrobe_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights]
{
@title = Illumination Strobelight White
}

MM_AviationLights_PartIconFixer by Skalou
//Rotate the icon in VAB/SPH for the aviation lights, need the mod "Part Icon Fixer & tweaks".
//Tested on KSP version 1.0.5 with the mods "Aviation lights" version 3.8 and "Part Icon Fixer & tweaks" Version 1.2 .

{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightbeacon_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_blue]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_green]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_red]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightnav_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

@PART[lightstrobe_white]:NEEDS[AviationLights&PartIconFixer]
{
%iconRotation = 0,90,0
}

Your are free to use, modify, redistribute theses configs.

link to the mod Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks

original post #624

Edited by Skalou

I've just downloaded and tried it.. and it's effin great.. why is this not stock yet?? thank you for this plugin/mod it's so insanely epic wenn a fuel transporter makes docking approach in lko with strobing positioning lights...

Edited by nithelyth

I've just downloaded and tried it.. and it's effin great.. why is this not stock yet?? thank you for this plugin/mod it's so insanely epic wenn a fuel transporter makes docking approach in lko with strobing positioning lights...

Thanks for the kind words, glad you like it! :D

BTW, that video is... very kerbal.

Edited by BigNose

• 1 month later...

just a suggestion, but now that parts are sorted alphabetically by default, ive always renamed your part titles to put the color after the type, for example : "white strobelight" becomes "strobelight white"

this puts all your parts in the same location, rather than spread so far apart. depending on your mod count, as is my case, the different lights can be multiple pages between them.

just a suggestion, but now that parts are sorted alphabetically by default, ive always renamed your part titles to put the color after the type, for example : "white strobelight" becomes "strobelight white"

this puts all your parts in the same location, rather than spread so far apart. depending on your mod count, as is my case, the different lights can be multiple pages between them.

That's a sensible way to do it. Myself, I have a search mod, so I just type in what I'm after. By the time I type the 'nav' in 'navigation', I have the whole set isolated.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I extend this to work with the (broken) DTS-M1 blinking-lights animation? If so, can you give me some tips on how to do so?

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to let you know that I got a heck of a kick out of the quote at the bottom of your post - "In the beginning, Earth was without Form(), and void.". I'm learning C#, so that was FUNNY right there :D

Edited by MAFman
Added more infos

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='bgeery']However, in career mode there is no entry cost in the tech tree for the lights.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, let me take a look. I also have another small improvement for v3.8, a tiny performance gain if you use alot of lights. Going to test it now.

I have a small request: a wider range of brightness. If you look at this video, I used 8 blue and red lights for both police cars.

[video=youtube;KK8a6aqC8Qc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8a6aqC8Qc[/video]

I once tweaked your mod and increased range and brightness so they were visible to the edge of physics range.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/lh9IMbr.png[/img]

It really brings out that deflector dish!

[quote name='BigNose']Hmm, let me take a look. I also have another small improvement for v3.8, a tiny performance gain if you use alot of lights. Going to test it now.[/QUOTE]

While you are at it , maybe you can change the texture to .DDS to improve the memory usage and loading the game faster (there is no small win), i have convert them on my side, here is the link if you want to use them:

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1312zniw03bya9/AviationLights.zip?dl=0[/url]

V3.8 Released

Fixed the missing entry cost for the tech tree. Also, the lights are now skipped by the physics engine for a performance gain when used in large numbers.

CHANGELOG

Added
- Lights now have double their normal prize as entry cost in the tech tree

Changed
- Lights are now skipped by the physics engine (performance gain when using them in large numbers)

DOWNLOAD
COMPATIBLE KSP VERSION: 1.0.X

Kerbal Stuff

Mediafire

This update is fully backwards compatible! Existing crafts will be updated automatically without getting deleted.

Quick Tip: Sort the Utility section by part size, and they will come out on top!

Edited by BigNose

[quote name='BigNose']
Thanks, but I already tried that. The textures are so small, every .dds conversion I tried on them actually made them bigger or the same size (as yours did). For such small textures, there is nothing to gain there. They already load extremly fast.[/QUOTE]

It takes (a little)more space on the hard drive but less in the RAM once loaded and the game didn't need to convert them so it's faster, small gain but gain anyway! :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.