[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

Thank you for the update
Awesome little update! Although I've got other mods installed and available in Career Mode, these little lights are the only ones I'm using currently. I like the double-flash mode a lot, by the way. Thank you for the update!

Thank you guys, the double flash was long overdue! :P

These are great for lighting target drones for shooting at with Lazor's guided weapons! The colours aid in remote control as the target camera picture can easily be upside-down; but with the colours, knowing what buttons NOT to press to avoid making the drone go in the wrong direction becomes child's play.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Andersenman

These are great for lighting target drones for shooting at with Lazor's guided weapons! The colours aid in remote control as the target camera picture can easily be upside-down; but with the colours, knowing what buttons NOT to press to avoid making the drone go in the wrong direction becomes child's play.

-album snip-

-pic snip-

I love the amber!

great mod, thanks for keeping it updated. and simplistic.

Great work guys! Thanks for the support, it's always appreciated! :D

Its really great.

But I am sorry to say it but it still has the "pause" bug.

If the lights are on and the game is paused then the lights "forgets" it last state and are simply turned off.

Yeah, it's known for quite some time now, but I'm still not sure why this happens. All timers I coded as a replacement for the current one had the same problem.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, this only happens to active lights within loading distance. The state of lights out of loading range is saved and reapplied correctly, once the craft gets close enough again. Also, while unloaded, pausing causes no problems whatsoever.

Edited by BigNose

In your KSP installation folder the files have to be installed in the "GameData" Folder.

On my pc this is: "Kerbal Space Program 0.22\GameData\AviationLights"

And in "AviantionLights" are the folders like Parts and Plugins.

Yeah, it's known for quite some time now, but I'm still not sure why this happens. All timers I coded as a replacement for the current one had the same problem.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, this only happens to active lights within loading distance. The state of lights out of loading range is saved and reapplied correctly, once the craft gets close enough again. Also, while unloaded, pausing causes no problems whatsoever.

Any chance u might ask a dev about this? I realize they got bigger problems to deal with but maybe if they feeling generous they might answer.

Try asking fractal of interstellar mod fame. A lot of his stuff remains persistent.

Can you add the ability for a kerbal on EVA to activate the lights?

example:

w2WIXpN.png

I added your lights to the KAS config to pack them along in the crates. I intended to set up multiple solar field lights where each one would be a strut (or the box) with a battery, solar, and light slapped on it. unfortunately this plan did not work, without a probe/pod control on board the light could not be turned on!

oh well at least it's enough of a mess to look like a science outpost. :P

Hey, I have one small suggestion for the blinking modes. Is it possible to make them turn on at a random point in the timeout? The objective being so that multiple lights enabled at the same time though an action group which are set to blink in the same mode don't all blink at exactly the same time.

Hey, I have one small suggestion for the blinking modes. Is it possible to make them turn on at a random point in the timeout? The objective being so that multiple lights enabled at the same time though an action group which are set to blink in the same mode don't all blink at exactly the same time.
actually i like that they blink at the same time..

They are intended to blink at the same time when activated at the same time. If you REALLY want to randomize it, you have to use multiple action groups. Or activate them by the right-click menu one by one.

lol, no it's because the blink timer circuit is not connected on them. Each light is a self contained unit, the pilot only turns on the power. So one might blink 3% faster than the other just because of part tolerances in the timer circuits, they don't have any sync.

Its only because the pilots are not ably enough to switch all buttons at the same time ...
lol, no it's because the blink timer circuit is not connected on them. Each light is a self contained unit, the pilot only turns on the power. So one might blink 3% faster than the other just because of part tolerances in the timer circuits, they don't have any sync.

Yea im pretty sure its the latter of the two lol, nice try though. :D

Also, because of the intensity of the strobes, having them blink all at once (in real life) makes it less likely for other pilots to correctly determine the strobing craft's orientation. Let's not forget that these lights are intended to convey a message, each set with its own purpose. Red underbelly and top strobes mean "my engines are running; keep clear!" White strobes mean "I'm moving or about to move. Keep an eye out." Red and green strobes on the wings (and tail, if it's large enough) indicate port (left) and starboard (right) wingtips, respectively. Coupled with the fuselage lights, any other pilot approaching from any angle can determine which direction that aircraft is traveling.

Now, if all of those were flashing at the same time, it might take a couple cycles or more for another pilot to identify what is where, whereas when they're out of sync, it's easier to see the individual colors within a shorter span of time.

Helos get off a little lighter because they don't have broad wings, so it's easier to take in their colors in one glance. Also, lights out of sync on a helo can be extremely distracting for the pilot, since all the lights are relatively close to him/her, and ground glare can become an issue if the bird is flashing like the paparazzi on movie release night.

All of that said, I'm cool with them being synced in the game. It really gives the ships a more majestic and realistic feel, especially for the big ones that are assembled crewless on-orbit. Once the crew shows up and starts prepping for departure, it's neat to be able to start kicking on the various lights and see it come to life.

IPEV104A "Venture", preparing for standby orientation after receiving the Cardinal Research lab and vehicle bay.

Cg2ci4j.gif

Rear angle as the DV-104 "Sherpa" dropship arrives to take its place in the vehicle bay

YS7VFPc.png

Still loving the HELL out of these lights, and I'm pretty tickled about the amber light's inclusion in the new version too! <3

Edited by Deadweasel

Its really great.

But I am sorry to say it but it still has the "pause" bug.

If the lights are on and the game is paused then the lights "forgets" it last state and are simply turned off.

I have been meaning to try something but have not found the time. I noticed the following code:

//Energy requirements check: if the light is not off and requires resources; request resource. If returned resource is less than requested; turn off
if (navLightSwitch > 0 && EnergyReq > 0 && part.RequestResource(Resource, EnergyReq * TimeWarp.deltaTime) == 0)
navLightSwitch = (int)navLightStates.navLightState.Off;

and I was wondering if the game is returning 0 for the TimeWarp.deltaTime when the game is paused. Maybe that is what is causing the pause bug?

I also love these lights :D. Thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.