[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

Update on the update:

I was studying the output_log.txt for a while, here is what I found:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

Load(Assembly): AviationLights/Plugins/AviationLights

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/7535de4ca26c26ac/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\Program Files (x86)\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\AviationLights\Plugins\AviationLights.dll

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\AviationLights\Plugins\AviationLights.dll'

Non platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\AviationLights\Plugins\AviationLights.dll (this message is harmless)

So the .dll gets loaded just fine.

Then I found this for all lights (I took the lightbeacon_red as an example):

Load(Texture): AviationLights/Parts/lightbeacon_red/textures/lightbeacon_red

So the textures aren't the problem, next thing:

Config(PART) AviationLights/Parts/lightbeacon_red/part/lightbeacon_red

Still looking good, next:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'AviationLights/Parts/lightbeacon_red/part/lightbeacon_red'

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model from 'AviationLights/Parts/lightbeacon_red' directory [b]as model does not exist[/b]

PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

Aha, so he could not find the models.

I'll see how I can get around this problem, stay tuned.

EDIT:

Seems like the filetypes of the models are no longer compatible. I'm really no 3D-Designer, so it could take me a while to convert them without f**king everything up, if anybody has some skills in this and wants to keep this mod up-to-date, I would really appreciate your help.

(Maybe, just maybe, it's not the filetypes. In this case I've no idea what to do next.)

Edited by BigNose

Try including a .dae export in the root directory of each part, alongside the .cfg file?

Ehm... ??? What ??? :P

As I said, I've no idea about 3D Design. The models of the parts were originally made from RPGprayer, I made the actual textures and worked on the code.

Ehm... ??? What ??? :P

As I said, I've no idea about 3D Design. The models of the parts were originally made from RPGprayer, I made the actual textures and worked on the code.

Oh sorry! I'd forgotten that part. >_<

.dae is a mainstream model type. Others are .obj and .3ds (from 3D Studio Max). The .mdl file is a kind of condensed or simplified version of the master part model (though that's in itself a very simplified description).

In simple terms, the .mdl file is a compiled model, like a .dll. As such there's no way to edit it and produce a .dae (source) model from it.

Is it possible to contact RPGprayer to get a .dae export of the model? If not, I might be able to re-design it and provide an export based on the working one in .19 that will work in free programs like Sketchup. :)

Edited by Deadweasel

There is only one way to find out, Weasel - and that is to try and contact RPGprayer :)

I didn't want to step on anybody's toes by just doing that out-of-turn. There are a few people credited in the development of this part, and I wanted to let them keep it "in the circle" instead of presuming to take control of a portion of the development/patching process. My assumption was that BigNose already has at least some kind of association going on with him, or I doubt this version of the original mod would have even been released.

That said, I'm more than happy to try to get in touch with RPGPrayer myself to see if I can be of some help. Just say the word. :)

That said, I'm more than happy to try to get in touch with RPGPrayer myself to see if I can be of some help. Just say the word. :)

I wouldn't have any problems with that. Feel free to do that, although I haven't heard a tone from him for month.

I wouldn't have any problems with that. Feel free to do that, although I haven't heard a tone from him for month.

Done and CC'ed to you as well. I suppose if he doesn't respond, I could always take a stab at creating a new model for you to get things rolling ahead once more. :)

/crosses fingers

Done and CC'ed to you as well. I suppose if he doesn't respond, I could always take a stab at creating a new model for you to get things rolling ahead once more. :)

/crosses fingers

Poor man must feel spammed since I actually did the same thing :). I ended up just remaking the mesh. The new light part is exported with the latest partTools and does away with the old mesh collider in favor of a simple box collider. Meaning that you can now add a lot more lights to your ships before it lags the physics engine.

Poor man must feel spammed since I actually did the same thing :). I ended up just remaking the mesh. The new light part is exported with the latest partTools and does away with the old mesh collider in favor of a simple box collider. Meaning that you can now add a lot more lights to your ships before it lags the physics engine.

Oh really?? Does that mean you have access to a source that can be used to export a full model the game is apparently looking for as well, or is that still needed?

So it's YOUR work I have to thank for not lagging the heck out of my little SSTO UFO covered in blinky lights? THANK YOU! :D

Side note (not a critique): your work has no effect on the HUGE lag brought on by crashing the whole lot headlong into the ocean. Hahahahaha!!

Oh really?? Does that mean you have access to a source that can be used to export a full model the game is apparently looking for as well, or is that still needed?

So it's YOUR work I have to thank for not lagging the heck out of my little SSTO UFO covered in blinky lights? THANK YOU! :D

Side note (not a critique): your work has no effect on the HUGE lag brought on by crashing the whole lot headlong into the ocean. Hahahahaha!!

I find the easiest format is the .mu format as exported through partTools in Unity. There are tutorials about on how to use partTools both here and on the wiki I think.

I can't really take credit for your ships not lagging, since BigNose hasn't released a version of AL including the model I made yet.

As a side note: crashing should never be a critique. It is, and always shall be; fun :D

V3.1 Released

Thanks again for the help JDP, the 0.20 compatibility update is here:

CHANGELOG

Added

- New 3D Model (by JDP)

Changed

- Removed old, incompatible 3D Model

Fixed

- Removed print() action in the OnUpdate method, plugin no longer spams text

DOWNLOAD

Get it on SpacePort or from Mediafire!

Edited by BigNose

I find the easiest format is the .mu format as exported through partTools in Unity. There are tutorials about on how to use partTools both here and on the wiki I think.

I can't really take credit for your ships not lagging, since BigNose hasn't released a version of AL including the model I made yet.

As a side note: crashing should never be a critique. It is, and always shall be; fun :D

I'm only assuming a .dae file is needed based on comparing this mod with others that have similar layouts. It seems whenever there's a mesh present, there's also a source .dae file as well, and according to the log entries BigNose is seeing, that's apparently what the game is now looking for. I can produce a model to work with it, but I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with partTools and the .mu format, save for the knowledge that .mu is -like .mdl- a compiled version of the model and uneditable as-is. I think that while that utility alone might be enough for a lot of parts, the way this one is put together is going to require at least this additional step to provide a whole source model as well.

Maybe we could work together on this so we're not re-inventing the wheel (so to speak heh). If you're willing to share any sources you've used to develop your mesh, I might be able to use those as a starting point to re-create a new source model so we don't have to go through all the fine-tuning, reshaping and scaling process...

EDIT: SNAP!! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. BigNose's update came through as I was posting this, so I will stand by instead. :)

Ah well, you're right. But it's not worth the reuploading now, as each model is only 3.663 Bytes.

I suppose not, but by the time 0.20.whatever rolls in and deriving parts by referencing previously defined parts and only changing certain values works as intended, you definitely want to make full use of it. :)

It would be VERY handy to have an enable and disable option in the Action Groups, apart from the Toggle. I want one action group to Always enable a certain light and another to Always disable it. Now if I press 1 twice, the light first enables and then disables...

Guys, whatever you did to this, it works BEAUTIFULLY! Maybe it's the changes in the game engine or something, but now I don't see the odd glitch where the flash modes seem to fall back to the interval mode when there are multiple ships deployed.

Under .19 it would work fine for a while, but then would flip over to the 1 second interval cycle if I had about 3 or 4 vessels in-flight. Now, it's PERFECT, and it makes these things so much more fun to fly. The changes to the flash cycle timing are exactly what I was looking for too.

THANK YOU!!

Guys, whatever you did to this, it works BEAUTIFULLY! Maybe it's the changes in the game engine or something, but now I don't see the odd glitch where the flash modes seem to fall back to the interval mode when there are multiple ships deployed.

Under .19 it would work fine for a while, but then would flip over to the 1 second interval cycle if I had about 3 or 4 vessels in-flight. Now, it's PERFECT, and it makes these things so much more fun to fly. The changes to the flash cycle timing are exactly what I was looking for too.

THANK YOU!!

Glad you like it, I'm very pleased with the actual outcome, too.

Possible bug or "unintended feature." Using the right-click menu (I don't have AGs set up to test this), if you have 'light' or 'interval' selected, and then click 'flash' while the light is on, the flash period is "reversed" for the light. Example, the strobe stays on most of the time, then briefly flashes off. Tested as well on the blue nav-light, but not on other lights. I suspect they'll do the same.

Possible bug or "unintended feature." Using the right-click menu (I don't have AGs set up to test this), if you have 'light' or 'interval' selected, and then click 'flash' while the light is on, the flash period is "reversed" for the light. Example, the strobe stays on most of the time, then briefly flashes off. Tested as well on the blue nav-light, but not on other lights. I suspect they'll do the same.

Confirmed, but it's just a minor one, as you can easily avoid it. I'll fix it eventually.

I had the same issue here as Konraden, though I'm in no rush to have it fixed, not performance inhibiting. It was odd, though, that the first time I used it, worked fne, white lights (Forget the specific ones) worked fine, alternating even flashes and the red ones flashed on and off slightly faster... seemed it became bugged after I went into warp with them on... :P

I had the same issue here as Konraden, though I'm in no rush to have it fixed, not performance inhibiting. It was odd, though, that the first time I used it, worked fne, white lights (Forget the specific ones) worked fine, alternating even flashes and the red ones flashed on and off slightly faster... seemed it became bugged after I went into warp with them on... :P

I'm seeing the return of the "old" bug where the flashing mode would go spastic instead, like a crack-riddled strobe light. They flash incredibly fast for a moment, seize up for a second or two, flash madly again, seize up, rinse and repeat.

It didn't start happening until I got multiple flights going simultaneously. There are two vessels currently on orbit, composed of five individual ships that arrived and docked independently.

I'm going to do some testing to see if the issue is related to multiple ships docking together using these lights, or if it's a matter of the number of parts deployed that's causing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.