[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

V3.3 Released

While ialdabaoth gets his Deadly Reentry plugin out of the testing phase (which I love to see), I decided to make a quick compatibility change along with some other minor things.

All lights should no longer break due to g-forces while the rest of the plane stays intact.

CHANGELOG

Changed

- Reduced memory usage ~7% by removing redundant models

- Raised impact_resistance from 8 to 20 (lights can take 10 g's using DeadlyReentry)

Fixed

- Wrong format for the Drag values in the .cfgs corrected

DOWNLOAD

Get it on SpacePort or from Mediafire!

Also I forgot to mention on the last updates:

All updates are backwards compatible with older versions. All crafts with Aviation Lights on them will still work, even when they are in mid-flight.

Edited by BigNose

Man, I still can't get over how sexy these things make everything look!

All the long-haul ships have been getting outfitted with "boo" lights for standby and inspection lighting, which makes things look 100% more awesome!

5ArW9CV.jpg

XR3QCIR.jpg

uR6aaB6.png

mcoCCgw.jpg

The strobes are also massively useful in pinpointing a docking port from a distance too! Squad needs to take notice; these things should be stock!!

It's not rotating, but you can have an orange light! Here's one I did earlier as a demo (to myself and others) on how easy it is to create your own colored lights. This is based on the beaconlight, so it's got a fast flash like you'd expect to see on caution lights.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2004695/lightbeacon_amber.zip

Just unzip the bugger alongside the other lights in %KSP_ROOT%\GameData\AviationLights\Parts

:)

Well this is broken now and Im still trying to figure out the new 0.20+ cfg/model/texture relationship. How would we go about creating different color lights?

Heh, there's definitely a noticeable frame drop at the launch pad, but it's not that bad at all once in orbit.

In fact, the only time I realize that the framerate had gone down is when I take the Mosquito out at-range, and everything suddenly gets extremely smooth and fast. I'm not one for building teensy tiny ships, so I guess I'm used to the slower performance. :)

Well this is broken now and Im still trying to figure out the new 0.20+ cfg/model/texture relationship. How would we go about creating different color lights?

It's a bit easier, actually.

If you're working with the one I originally modified, all you need are the texture file and the color values in the config to make it all work in the new layout:

1. In the folder for the new v3.3 lights, duplicate one of the lightbeacon .cfg files, and rename it appropriately ("lightbeacon_amber.cfg" as an example)
  2. Copy in the amber light texture file from the old version and rename it to "model000strobe_amber.png"
  3. Open the new config file
  4. In the new system, texture files are referenced directly instead of being expected to be present in the folder. As such, you will find a line in the config for "texture = model000, AviationLights/Parts/lights/model000nav_x". Change this line so that the "model000nav_x" now says "model000strobe_amber" (leave out the .png part of the filename).
  5. Don't forget to edit the description so it is described accurately in the game
  6. Near the bottom of the config, look for a line inside the MODULE section that starts with "Color ="
  7. Replace this line with "Color = 1.00, 0.70, 0.07"
  8. Save the .cfg file, and you should be good to go! :)

Edited by Deadweasel

ARRRRGH!! This is so frustrating.... they wont show up in the VAB and my ships wont load because they use your mod and KSP cant find navlight.green/blue/red..... is there ANYTHING i can do or you could do to fix this? ive spent hours on my space stations.... i just want to fix this and set kerbal to not auto update on steam. i dont want to go through this headache again

If you add the following to the various light .cfg files:

// MODULE

// {

// name = KASModuleConfigMenu // Configuration menu of all KAS module. Usefull for tweaking part.cfg parameters ingame. Remove all "//" before lines to enable it.

// }

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab //This module will add the possibility to grab the part from Eva.

grabKey = g // Key used for grabbing a part

maxDistance = 2 // Max distance for grabbing a part

breakForce = 3 // The force that needs to be applied on the grab joint to break. (Not used, as eva don't react correctly to a physic joint)

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.05, -0.27) // Position of the grabbed part on eva

evaPartRot = (-80.0, 0.0, 90.0) // Rotation of the grabbed part on eva

addPartMass = true // Add or not the grabbed part mass to eva

grabSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grab // Grab sound

}

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleAttach // This module will add the possibility to attach part grabbed from Eva.

attachKey = h // Key used to toggle attach pointer

rotateLeftKey = b // Key used to rotate left the attach pointer

rotateRightKey = n // Key used to rotate right the attach pointer

surfaceDist = 0.00 // Surface distance above the target part

maxDistance = 2 // Max distance for attaching a part

allowPart = True // Disable/enable attaching a part to another part

allowEva = False // Disable/enable attaching a part to eva

allowStatic = False // Disable/enable attaching a part to a static object like ground or building.

sendMsgOnly = False // Delegate the attachment system to another module on attach. (ex : hook module) If set to false, the attachment will be handled by this module.

pointerUseModel = True // Use or not the current part model as pointer instead of a sphere.

partRot = (0.0, 0.0, 90.0) // Rotation of the attached part

attachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/attach // Attach sound path

detachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/detach // Detach sound path

}

And have the Kerbal Attachment System installed, your Kerbals will be able to dismount an aviation light while on EVA, carry it to a different spot on the ship (or a different ship), and then remount it. I'm using this to retrofit my existing space stations with these things. Just did a quick test and it appears that action group assignments are maintained when you move a light around.

Sadly, the lights don't work while they're being carried on a Kerbal's back. Guess Kerbal space suits don't provide enough electricity. :)

I got this idea from the Attachment Pack.

• 2 weeks later...
Steam auto-updated you? What version were you running before? Maybe I can help. :)

ive been offline for awhile(and prolly awhile more as my comcast service is deactivated till i get a job), so i cant be sure.... i know there wasnt a flag before. how many updates were there before 20.2? cant find a version number to the old one i was using that works, but the rar title might give you an idea: uploads_2012_12_Aviation-Lights1

ill check back here when i can.

ive been offline for awhile(and prolly awhile more as my comcast service is deactivated till i get a job), so i cant be sure.... i know there wasnt a flag before. how many updates were there before 20.2? cant find a version number to the old one i was using that works, but the rar title might give you an idea: uploads_2012_12_Aviation-Lights1

ill check back here when i can.

Well the earliest version noted is from after the forum crash, (see Changelog on page 1 of this thread), so it would seem going by the datestamp on your .rar that you were running with 2.0 or earlier, since it was uploaded December of 2012.

If you're having troubles currently because Steam auto-updated your game, just snag the latest version from Spaceport, as it has long since been updated to work with .20.x. :)

Just another example for BigNose and crew to see their work in-action! :)

This is an orbital dock I built to provide some source imagery for my story (see banner in sig). Blue nav lights are doing their sexy thing along the deck, though I'll likely double them up to increase the effect.

SRVzBNJ.jpg

The shuttle carries crew recovery pods that are ejected in atmosphere. When the abort is hit, the pods fire away from the shuttle core, deploy chutes, lower landing legs, and enable the amber locator beacons (visible on the windows of the crew pods)

4zULJC3.jpg

I don't think any of the ships in my fleet are without at least two of these awesome lights!

This is an orbital dock I built to provide some source imagery for my story (see banner in sig). Blue nav lights are doing their sexy thing along the deck, though I'll likely double them up to increase the effect.

SRVzBNJ.jpg

The shuttle carries crew recovery pods that are ejected in atmosphere. When the abort is hit, the pods fire away from the shuttle core, deploy chutes, lower landing legs, and enable the amber locator beacons (visible on the windows of the crew pods)

4zULJC3.jpg

I don't think any of the ships in my fleet are without at least two of these awesome lights!

Most of the parts I recognize (I think), but where did you get the major pieces for the dock itself? If its yours, will you post it?

Most of the parts I recognize (I think), but where did you get the major pieces for the dock itself? If its yours, will you post it?

The panels are in B9's pack. Bulkheads are 4x4, deck and deckhead are composed of 8x8 panels. Those funky joiners are two lateral tank adapters end-to-end (they provide an attachment point to ensure each "slice" of the dock is aligned perfectly as it was built).

The three pedestals on the rear bulkhead (the center one under the dock itself) are also B9, and are used to provide a circular mount point amidst a flat field, exactly as they're being used here. They provide easy attachment points for the ASAS ring and dock, as well as the cupola "dock control" stations.

I'm still refining the design some more, as it will not survive for more than a moment on the surface. Currently I have to HyperEdit the sucker into orbit the very moment physics kick in at launch, and it's good from there. It's rather fragile at present, as Whack-a-Kerbal demonstrated when a hit from a single object caused the whole thing to pretty much rip itself to pieces. :D

The whole thing uses parts from stock, B9 Aerospace and Aviation Lights.

The panels are in B9's pack. Bulkheads are 4x4, deck and deckhead are composed of 8x8 panels. Those funky joiners are two lateral tank adapters end-to-end (they provide an attachment point to ensure each "slice" of the dock is aligned perfectly as it was built).

The three pedestals on the rear bulkhead (the center one under the dock itself) are also B9, and are used to provide a circular mount point amidst a flat field, exactly as they're being used here. They provide easy attachment points for the ASAS ring and dock, as well as the cupola "dock control" stations.

I'm still refining the design some more, as it will not survive for more than a moment on the surface. Currently I have to HyperEdit the sucker into orbit the very moment physics kick in at launch, and it's good from there. It's rather fragile at present, as Whack-a-Kerbal demonstrated when a hit from a single object caused the whole thing to pretty much rip itself to pieces. :D

The whole thing uses parts from stock, B9 Aerospace and Aviation Lights.

Lol im even more impressed now. Well done. I have both those mods but didnt recognize it.

Edit: If its really being a pain, suggest strong struts. (Yea i know they are cheap, but i really not sure how to get Huge things i.e. a ship like this, into space without it.)

Lol im even more impressed now. Well done. I have both those mods but didnt recognize it.

Edit: If its really being a pain, suggest strong struts. (Yea i know they are cheap, but i really not sure how to get Huge things i.e. a ship like this, into space without it.)

I would, were my machine up to the task. As it is, this thing could not possibly be launched normally, as it is composed of over 500 parts with the struts that it has already. Coupled with the shuttle shown in the pictures, there's over 800 parts active in the area, making for quite the lag-fest.

Since I only need this for a "photo op", there's really no need to take it any further, as I also need the game to actually run in order to get the shots I'm wanting. :D

I would, were my machine up to the task. As it is, this thing could not possibly be launched normally, as it is composed of over 500 parts with the struts that it has already. Coupled with the shuttle shown in the pictures, there's over 800 parts active in the area, making for quite the lag-fest.

Since I only need this for a "photo op", there's really no need to take it any further, as I also need the game to actually run in order to get the shots I'm wanting. :D

Lol wow yea, my pc pretty boss but Im not sure it could run well with 800 + parts..........maybe ..............lol not sure

Heh, I just realized that the shuttle's capsule has an open slot on the front that will allow the whole thing to be saved in Subassembly Loader, so just for the heck of it (and to help me save a ton of effort when putting a shot together) I saved and loaded the shuttle to have it "built-in" to the dock for all-in-one launching.

Save the whole thing, then go back to the load tab. Part count verdict: 815. Not bad that I'm still getting about 10-15 fps out of that thing!

SRVzBNJ.jpg

4zULJC3.jpg

That's one awesome space dock!

Well the earliest version noted is from after the forum crash, (see Changelog on page 1 of this thread), so it would seem going by the datestamp on your .rar that you were running with 2.0 or earlier, since it was uploaded December of 2012.

If you're having troubles currently because Steam auto-updated your game, just snag the latest version from Spaceport, as it has long since been updated to work with .20.x. :)

i already did, it doesnt show up at all in the VAB menu. i can live with sending my station parts back up there but not with the mod not showing up at all. i tested it with a new save and everything, it simply doesnt show up.

i already did, it doesnt show up at all in the VAB menu. i can live with sending my station parts back up there but not with the mod not showing up at all. i tested it with a new save and everything, it simply doesnt show up.

You're moving it into GameData, right? If you're still putting the Aviation Lights folder into the KSP_win_20-2\Parts directory, they won't show up, because they've been adapted to the new file layout as of 0.20.

You can also get a peek into what's going on if, at the Space Center scene, you hit alt-f12, go to the Database tab and Reload All. Part loading errors will show up there.

Using 0.20.2 and t's not working. I can place the lights on my craft but that's as far as I can take it. The lights themselves are selectable within the action group dialog, however no proerties exist below the light, that can be assigned to an action. Am I doing something wrong? THANKS!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.