[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

Sounds like you might be missing the plugin file itself.

In the path \KSP_win_20-2\GameData\AviationLights you should have

\Parts\[light components]

\Plugin\AviationLights.dll

\Source\[various magic leprechaun files]

Make sure that file is there, and then, in the Space Center scene, hit Alt-F12, go to the Database tab and hit the Reload All button. Watch the log for errors loading the plugin. If it fails to load it could be corrupted or conflicting with another mod (though my money's on the first, if the file's there).

:)

Just checked and all files appear where you describe. I was also thinking conflict, though I have no first hand technical knowledge as to why. I will do what you said and try to isolate a conflict.

Did the Alt-F12 bit and stuff went by to fast to read. I did re download and extract and replace all the files to no avail. Must be another mod. I need this thing to work.

Did the Alt-F12 bit and stuff went by to fast to read. I did re download and extract and replace all the files to no avail. Must be another mod. I need this thing to work.

Well you can scroll through it manually afterward by hitting Alt-F2. That will contain everything that went screaming by as all the parts and plugins loaded. Look for anything that is colored yellow or red for conflicts or errors.

Also look for errors in the {KSP}/KSP.log file or the {KSP}/KSP_Data/output_log.txt file (they should be identical?). They might be in a different place if you are not running Windows. I am running on Windows, with 0.20.2, and with a lot of other mods, and this mod works fine for me. No problems.

And I wanted to add that I think this mod is awesome :D

I need to do a clean install and add my mods one at a time. I am getting nowhere looking for errors (I see them, but nothing about aviation lights).

I need to do a clean install and add my mods one at a time. I am getting nowhere looking for errors (I see them, but nothing about aviation lights).

Do you see the .dll loading at least? If it's not even showing as loading in the log, there's a gremlin at work behind the scenes. :|

I have found the solution to the problem, but I can't be definitive as to the actual problem itself -

You were very close. My system was denying access to the AviationLights.dll file. This DID popup in orange at the very beginning, but in the scrolling window, it never re-appeared. I tried the Shift PRINT SCREEN thing and tried to capture that as it flashed by. My clipboard only captured a pic of my desktop. I got my digital camera and reloaded the parts again, and took a photo before it went away. This is how I found out.

The next thing I did was ensure the whole install directory and subdirectories had full control, which they did (no security ... I am on Win 7). No luck. Then I forced KSP to run in Admin mode. This action cured the problem. I cannot say why my Windows is not allowing access in other than admin mode. It's possible my Comodo or something else is intervening.

This troubleshooting was done on a clean KSP install. I am going to go back to my project install, and see if I can get it to work. Thank you all for the help.

john

Woohoo! Man, talk about going to great lengths.... That sounds like quite the fiasco just to see what was going on, but glad to see you've gotten some positive results now! :) Maybe your A/V was interfering. Avast used to take exception to some .dlls a while back...

You're moving it into GameData, right? If you're still putting the Aviation Lights folder into the KSP_win_20-2\Parts directory, they won't show up, because they've been adapted to the new file layout as of 0.20.

You can also get a peek into what's going on if, at the Space Center scene, you hit alt-f12, go to the Database tab and Reload All. Part loading errors will show up there.

Oooooooh, well... that would be my problem XD. i am still putting it all in the parts folder, silly me... thanks for the heads up. and thanks for the tip to see part load errors :D

As you all know by this point, v0.21 is extremly close to release.

As always, (eventually necessary) compatibility updates will follow as soon as possible!

Have fun!

BigNose

No problem man, thanks so much for the awesome lights. They been making my bases glow in the dark for a while now.

Everything seems to be unaffected by the update, so go ahead to use the actual version as you like! :D

If you notice any new bugs, post them here.

I have a request if I may, currently if you turns lights on and quit the game and return later, you have to turn the lights on again. Is it possible that you could make it so the lights will stay on if you turn them on (unless all of the power is used of course)? Not really an issue but I love this mod and was just curious if this could happen.

I think there's a conflict somewhere. The lights no longer work, and I don't get context menus for them either. I've got a lot of parts mods, so it's going to take some time to narrow down the problem.

UPDATE:

Nope, not a conflict. With AviationLights and Squad's defaults being the only parts available, it's throwing an error while trying to load them. :(xku45i5.jpg

Edited by Deadweasel

I think there's a conflict somewhere. The lights no longer work, and I don't get context menus for them either. I've got a lot of parts mods, so it's going to take some time to narrow down the problem.

Working fine for me. Sure you're not running out of power? There's a lot of stuff in the new update that uses power that didn't used to. Older craft may find they have greater power needs than they once did...

Working fine for me. Sure you're not running out of power? There's a lot of stuff in the new update that uses power that didn't used to. Older craft may find they have greater power needs than they once did...

You might not have seen my update with image. The plugin isn't loading at all, even though the models themselves are. I can get the parts just fine, place them on a capsule (which has power to begin with) and send it out to "launch", but nothing works. Even though the capsule has power, I still get no context menu on the lights. I can't interact with them at all, even though the models appear to be working as they should.

Yeah, I made my previous reply before seeing your update.

Might help if I were actually trying to run the latest release.... -_-

Heh. One of several reasons why I always zip up the previous version before unzipping the latest. (The other big reason being my gamepad software goes bonkers if two versions of the same program are unzipped at the same time.)

*sigh*

Might help if I were actually trying to run the latest release.... -_-

All is well, sorry to interrupt the well-deserved praise stream!

"You are like a baby. Making noise, don't know what to do."

Made me laugh so hard! XD

I was already wondering why it works for me and Gaius but not for you...

I haven't seen this mentioned before, so I'd like to suggest variable power consumption for the different modes and lights.

Basically make the consumption relative to the "on" time of the lights, maybe plus a tiny overhead for control circuitry, and adjust the nav lights and beacons to require different amounts of power, considering their relative brightness.

This may seem like nitpicking, but I just had a staging accident which left a capsule stranded in orbit, with just enough battery power for about ten hours of nav lights (by sheer luck I did pack extra batteries in the first place). Right now, I could of course turn off the lights completely, but with what I proposed, setting them to flash only might save enough power for several times that long, without going completely dark.

Just a small detail really, but it's in situations like these when they are noticed.

UPDATE:

Nope, not a conflict. With AviationLights and Squad's defaults being the only parts available, it's throwing an error while trying to load them. :( :bigasspicture:

No problem here. Try a fresh install. Works fine for me with MechJeb, Editor Tools, KW Rocketry and Kethane. If it's not working stock for you a fresh copy may be in order.

No problem here. Try a fresh install. Works fine for me with MechJeb, Editor Tools, KW Rocketry and Kethane. If it's not working stock for you a fresh copy may be in order.

Nah. I don't make any changes to the game without having a way to back out of them. I never have to do a fresh install until there's a new update worthy of the time. :)

In the meantime, I did find the problem (read back a few posts), and discovered I'd simply missed out on a couple of updates that had been released since the version I was running. Once I got the latest version, all was good again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.