[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying your lights on all my aircraft now. They had always looked half-nekkid without them. Thanks for fixing this!

I was also hoping to use these as obstacle warning lights for the giant towers I make with Ubiozur's Welded Parts mod. Unfortunately, that type of light works differently. But perhaps you can help? I'm looking for a red interval light that can be seen from several kilometers away at dawn/dusk, but it does not need to illuminate anything. Something like the runway lights would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Enjoying your lights on all my aircraft now. They had always looked half-nekkid without them. Thanks for fixing this!

I was also hoping to use these as obstacle warning lights for the giant towers I make with Ubiozur's Welded Parts mod. Unfortunately, that type of light works differently. But perhaps you can help? I'm looking for a red interval light that can be seen from several kilometers away at dawn/dusk, but it does not need to illuminate anything. Something like the runway lights would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Van Disaster is right, the red beacon in interval mode is what you need. Also, runway lights are pretty easy to make using different colour navlights like this: http://i.imgur.com/a5HnPzC.jpg

But now that KSP has them anyway, I don't see why you would other than marking a new runway somewhere.

• 2 months later...
I have confirmed that this mod is in fact stable through all light settings.

Thank you for your hard work. It is most appreciated and has not gone unnoticed! ;']

Tongue as firmly in cheek as it was in the quoted message ;']

Just a short notice: Don't know whos fault it is but they don't seem to work in 1.0 with extended action groups. (edit: I can still click them manually, but I can't use them on a action group e.g. lights)

Anyway I love them.

Just a short notice: Don't know whos fault it is but they don't seem to work in 1.0 with extended action groups. (edit: I can still click them manually, but I can't use them on a action group e.g. lights)

Anyway I love them.

I don't use Extended Action groups but with the vanilla action groups they work fine.

I don't use Extended Action groups but with the vanilla action groups they work fine.

actually, im here atm because using stock action groups they are not. there is also no right-click context menu for settings when in VAB (was there ever?)

actually, im here atm because using stock action groups they are not. there is also no right-click context menu for settings when in VAB (was there ever?)

I can't replicate any problems. Using the lastest version in KSP 1.0.1, putting ANY mode in ANY Action group works just as well as using the right-click menu in flight.

I can't replicate any problems. Using the lastest version in KSP 1.0.1, putting ANY mode in ANY Action group works just as well as using the right-click menu in flight.

ill try again, since logging out and back it in updated to the 0.1...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was trying to use this for the first time.

Actually, I was trying to make a blue and green beacon in addition to whats there.

When I was looking at your cfg files, I see that the two beacons you supply, amber and red, seem to have somewhat different cfg files. Ignoring the colors, I see that:

1. The file: lightbeacon_red_cfg contains a reference to the mesh = model.mu

2. The amber cfg file doesn't have that, but it DOES have a MODEL block which the red does not. This block contains a "model ="

and a "texture =" line, the red file does not

My efforts to do this failed, when I went into the VAB, my two additional parts were red (I had copied the red cfg file to do this). Do you think you could make the additional beacons?

I was trying to use this for the first time.

Actually, I was trying to make a blue and green beacon in addition to whats there.

When I was looking at your cfg files, I see that the two beacons you supply, amber and red, seem to have somewhat different cfg files. Ignoring the colors, I see that:

1. The file: lightbeacon_red_cfg contains a reference to the mesh = model.mu

2. The amber cfg file doesn't have that, but it DOES have a MODEL block which the red does not. This block contains a "model ="

and a "texture =" line, the red file does not

My efforts to do this failed, when I went into the VAB, my two additional parts were red (I had copied the red cfg file to do this). Do you think you could make the additional beacons?

That's because the Red Beacon is the base part of this pack and every other light gets it's model from it. You can simply alter the Amber Beacon to use a different colour and texture.

Example for the blue beacon (using the blue navlight texture):

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = lightbeacon_amber
module = Part
author = RPGprayer, BigNose, Why485, GROOV3ST3R, JDP, Deadweasel, J.Random

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL
{
model = AviationLights/Parts/lights/model
texture = model000, AviationLights/Parts/lights/model000nav_blue
}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z, size
node_attach = -0.025, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = electrics
cost = 100
category = Utility
subcategory = 1
title = Blue Beaconlight
manufacturer = Kerbus Lighting Department
description = Blue warning beacon. Use Action Groups to switch modes.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.001
dragModelType = default
minimum_drag = 0
maximum_drag = 0
angularDrag = 0
crashTolerance = 20
maxTemp = 3200

MODULE
{
//Energy consumption rate
EnergyReq = 0.005

// color changes the colour and intensity (0.1-3 recommended)
// Intervals can be changed by modifying below
name = ModuleNavLight

Color = 0.14, 0.28, 1

IntervalFlashMode = 0 //Used only for reference - leave at 0
FlashOn = 0.15 //Used to define the length of time the light is ON during Flash Mode
FlashOff = 1.35 //Used to define the length of time the light is OFF during Flash mode

Interval = 0.8 //Used by standard Interval mode
}
}

That should be a working config for a blue Beaconlight, which will look exactly like a blue navlight but has double the brightness. I think this is what you're looking for.

EDIT: Just copy the code into a newly created "lightstrobe_blue.cfg" and put it in the "AviationLights/Parts/lights" folder. Should work that way.

Edited by BigNose

Thank you.

Of course I would copy the base part when trying to do this :-(

LGG

That's because the Red Beacon is the base part of this pack and every other light gets it's model from it. You can simply alter the Amber Beacon to use a different colour and texture.

Example for the blue beacon (using the blue navlight texture):

PART
{
name = lightbeacon_amber
module = Part
author = RPGprayer, BigNose, Why485, GROOV3ST3R, JDP, Deadweasel, J.Random

MODEL
{
texture = model000, AviationLights/Parts/lights/model000nav_blue
}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z, size
node_attach = -0.025, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = electrics
cost = 100
category = Utility
subcategory = 1
title = Blue Beaconlight
manufacturer = Kerbus Lighting Department
description = Blue warning beacon. Use Action Groups to switch modes.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.001
dragModelType = default
minimum_drag = 0
maximum_drag = 0
angularDrag = 0
crashTolerance = 20
maxTemp = 3200

MODULE
{
//Energy consumption rate
EnergyReq = 0.005

// color changes the colour and intensity (0.1-3 recommended)
// Intervals can be changed by modifying below
name = ModuleNavLight

Color = 0.14, 0.28, 1

IntervalFlashMode = 0 //Used only for reference - leave at 0
FlashOn = 0.15 //Used to define the length of time the light is ON during Flash Mode
FlashOff = 1.35 //Used to define the length of time the light is OFF during Flash mode

Interval = 0.8 //Used by standard Interval mode
}
}

That should be a working config for a blue Beaconlight, which will look exactly like a blue navlight but has double the brightness. I think this is what you're looking for.

EDIT: Just copy the code into a newly created "lightstrobe_blue.cfg" and put it in the "AviationLights/Parts/lights" folder. Should work that way.

• 1 month later...

i want to share some other tricks:

change in .cfg files this lines:

title = White Navlight >> title = Navlight White idem for red,blue,.. so now they are all together in the partlist.

2nd Trick: you can convert the textures in .dds with paint.net,

just flip it verticaly and save as .dss dxt1 with mipmaps. a pro can confirm it's right way to do?

anyway it works well.

: the icon in the part list show his back everytime, so you can use

Part Icon Fixer & Tweaks and add " iconRotation = 0,90,0 " in each .cfg file (past it under rescaleFactor = 1 work s well).

example for the lightnav_green.cfg:

PART
{
name = lightnav_green
module = Part
author = RPGprayer, BigNose, Why485, GROOV3ST3R, JDP, J.Random

MODEL
{
texture = model000, AviationLights/Parts/lights/model000nav_green
}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
[SIZE=5][B]iconRotation = 0,90,0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][B]title = Navlight Green [/B][SIZE=1]//1st trick[/SIZE][/SIZE]

maybe a module manager config could do the trick also, but i'm not sure how to use it. done! see post #627

Enjoy ;)

scez9aU.jpg

Edited by Skalou
changed 180° to 90 to be more stockalike, MMdone

1) That works, alternatively you can order the partlist by size, then they are all together due to using the same model.

2) The textures are so small, compression to DXT1 doesn't really do much and/or could even make them bigger. Be sure to compare file sizes afterwards.

3) THAT is actually really good. Never knew this tool existed, thanks!

Have some Rep!

Edited by BigNose

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.