[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

4 hours ago, TMasterson5 said:

In that case @MOARdV could we get a quick tutorial by chance?

Tutorial for what?  I'm not clear on what you mean by "adding lights" - adding lights to a craft?  Adding new types of lights to the mod?

2 hours ago, TMasterson5 said:

Making lights for a mod. 

That, I'm afraid I can't help you with.  I am a programmer, and I know approximately nothing about making parts.  All I did with this mod was make a few code changes due to changes in KSP and Unity, and that's it.

8 hours ago, TMasterson5 said:

In that case @MOARdV could we get a quick tutorial by chance?

I see what you did there... LOL :wink:

Have you seen that IgorZ seems to have taken over the Surface Lights mod? If you read the last few pages of the thread, you'll see in-depth discussion about inner workings, and issues they had with 1.1.2... Maybe ask IgorZ, or someone who posted, about doing a light tutorial... (theres a link to a new, updated thread by IgorZ on the last page)

2 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

I see what you did there... LOL :wink:

Have you seen that IgorZ seems to have taken over the Surface Lights mod? If you read the last few pages of the thread, you'll see in-depth discussion about inner workings, and issues they had with 1.1.2... Maybe ask IgorZ, or someone who posted, about doing a light tutorial... (theres a link to a new, updated thread by IgorZ on the last page)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TheCardinal said:

It doesn't seem to work in 1.1.3 anymore. Anyone up to the challenge of updating this mod?

It works for me, which is why I didn't update it.  Please provide a log so I can see what's going on.

• 3 weeks later...

It is working for me (version 3.9) But...

The lights are very dim.

The models could stand to be just a little thicker.  Many time they end up floating above the ship surface or worse inside of it.  It would be better to have them a little to thick and be able to push them in then have them consumed inside the part they are attached to. The B9 large and small lights attach nicely and are bright but I do not want to add a huge library of confusing parts just to get two lights.

Just my 2c.

Edited by ctbram

@ctbram Unfortunately, the models MAY be able to be tweaked a little more, but since they ARE so thin, adjusting the colliders for THESE parts, no matter how much you tweak them, there will ALWAYS be many parts you would attach these to, that would swallow, or float them... Its all determined by the shape/size/position of the part colliders that are being placed together... So it not only depends on JUST the models of the lights: it depends JUST as much on how the colliders are done on the part you are attaching them to...

11 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@ctbram Unfortunately, the models MAY be able to be tweaked a little more, but since they ARE so thin, adjusting the colliders for THESE parts, no matter how much you tweak them, there will ALWAYS be many parts you would attach these to, that would swallow, or float them... Its all determined by the shape/size/position of the part colliders that are being placed together... So it not only depends on JUST the models of the lights: it depends JUST as much on how the colliders are done on the part you are attaching them to...

Brightness was a separate issue, sorry if it sounded like I was combining it with the offset issue.

For the offset issue I was thinking perhaps thickening them a tad might help.  For parts that mate and are sticking up they can be pushed into the surface.  For parts that would swallow them they should stick out enough to click and adjust them.  That is just a thought.  As I mentioned if you look at the B9 small and normal surface light those seem to be a good thickness.

oh and ty for the reply.

Edited by ctbram

@ctbram No problem... and no, I understood the dimness was a separate issue... I just didnt address it... :)
And you are correct... they can probably be thickened a little, which would help... But i think theres only so far you could go, till they would look "odd"... And at that point you still might have the same issue with some parts you would attach them to... But yeah, thickening & tweaking a little probably would help a bit :)

EDIT: I'm hoping to add some more light models for use with AviationLights, Soon­™.... I'll take a look at the existing models, and see how much wiggle room there is on tweaking the meshes & colliders to try to minimize the "part gobbling" you're describing...

And just so you know, i DO know exactly what you are describing: I've had the same issue ever since first using the mod, way back before 0.24... And it has always bugged me too... :) i've even been adjusting a couple of antenna parts I've made, just becasue the bases of the parts sometimes end up "floating" off the surface of some parts they get attached to...

Edited by Stone Blue

Just downloaded this, and I have used it before, but now, none of the lights activate when I press 'L' for lights, when I right click I nothing happens and when I go into action groups there's nothing there. Is this a bug?

1 hour ago, doxlulzem said:

Just downloaded this, and I have used it before, but now, none of the lights activate when I press 'L' for lights, when I right click I nothing happens and when I go into action groups there's nothing there. Is this a bug?

Need more info.  Logs would be good.  Aviation lights do not activate automatically with 'L' - you have to add them to the lights action group, first.

On 7/27/2016 at 8:18 PM, MOARdV said:

Need more info.  Logs would be good.  Aviation lights do not activate automatically with 'L' - you have to add them to the lights action group, first.

Yeah sure.

http://imgur.com/a/UjkPu

What do you mean by logs? The 'KSP.log' file it generates when loading?

Edited by doxlulzem

11 hours ago, doxlulzem said:

Yeah sure.

http://imgur.com/a/UjkPu

What do you mean by logs? The 'KSP.log' file it generates when loading?

That log will at least tell me something.  Based on those screen shots, it looks like the DLL is not loading or installed, since the stuff that is missing from your menus is all stuff the DLL adds.

On 7/29/2016 at 3:25 AM, Stone Blue said:

@doxlulzem

This thread explains where  the logs are:

Thank you very much for showing me this!

On 7/29/2016 at 2:08 PM, MOARdV said:

That log will at least tell me something.  Based on those screen shots, it looks like the DLL is not loading or installed, since the stuff that is missing from your menus is all stuff the DLL adds.

Here is my output_log.txt file. Now that you mention it, it does feel like a DLL is missing...

1 hour ago, doxlulzem said:

Here is my output_log.txt file. Now that you mention it, it does feel like a DLL is missing...

I see no indication that the Aviation Lights DLL is being loaded.  I do see multiple old versions of Module Manager (including 2.6.18) in your installation - I would delete all of them except the current version (2.6.25, I believe).  The MM 2.6.18 is throwing an exception at load time, so it's hard to say if that's interfering with AL, or the AL DLL is missing.  You can take a look in GameData/AviationLights/Plugins to see if the Aviation Lights DLL is present.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

I see no indication that the Aviation Lights DLL is being loaded.  I do see multiple old versions of Module Manager (including 2.6.18) in your installation - I would delete all of them except the current version (2.6.25, I believe).  The MM 2.6.18 is throwing an exception at load time, so it's hard to say if that's interfering with AL, or the AL DLL is missing.  You can take a look in GameData/AviationLights/Plugins to see if the Aviation Lights DLL is present.

You're right. For one reason or another I didn't install the Plugins folder. Thank you so much for your help

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

dunno what's going on here:

44a9rRe.png

originally yes, I did indeed not have the Plugin folder installed, derp. But then I put it in from the latest release and still nothing. Then I deleted the whole folder and replaced it with the AviationLights folder from the latest release. Still nothing!?

Output.txt shows the DLL loading without errors, the parts all compiling without errors, no complaints about ModuleNavLight being an unknown module...

Same behavior in both career and sandbox too

I stripped down to just Squad, AviationLights and Blizzy's Toolbar and it still wouldn't work. When I placed those lights on the command pod, saved and checked the craft file, the ModuleNavLight module was saved to the craft file. But I can't get any right-click options to show 0_o

I even unzipped a fresh install of KSP v1.1.3 to no avail. No debug log spam when I placed a light part. No notable exceptions in the log... whaaaaat am I missing here? :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.