[1.3.1] LonesomeRobots Aerospace: DADV-1

silentvelcro

Oh, Well anyways than i ask here, i have some questions
1) How to get 7.75 m parts?i  downloaded the ares mod but it only has the 3m (maybe i downloaded the wrong one?)
2) Will you ever do an Eve Version of DADV or Laythe? (VADV for Eve and LADV for Laythe?)

Thank you for your time :)

@Artienia 1. The ares1X works with the Altair Lander. You take the SRBs from the Ares1X mod and the rest of the AresV 7.75 parts from the Altair Lander mod.
2. Never thought of that. Will look into it but i think the engines would have to be extremely powerful to work as a single stage ascent and descent vehicle.

And always feel free to ask anything. Cheers.

1 hour ago, silentvelcro said:

@Artienia 1. The ares1X works with the Altair Lander. You take the SRBs from the Ares1X mod and the rest of the AresV 7.75 parts from the Altair Lander mod.
2. Never thought of that. Will look into it but i think the engines would have to be extremely powerful to work as a single stage ascent and descent vehicle.

And always feel free to ask anything. Cheers.

Just a few suggestion which i think would improve it: a Fairing that is 7.75 (regular one, just a lot bigger) and a place where your flag displays, but both of them are minor changes.

With the VADV and LADV, while for laythe it can be smaller because the gravity isnt that much it could have build it mining and conventer. while right now you could use the DADV to land on eve, i dont think you could really get it back. a similiar design for the VADV and LADV with 2 (or one merged) modules with mining and conventer. with mining the LADV would be pretty much done, for the VADV it would need bigger thrust, so new engines. i would love to see it happen.

Edited by Artienia

All LonesomeRobots Aerospace mods have been updated. Now reflections are handled by the awesome Textures Unlimited mod by master modder Shadowmage. The solar shader is used in all solar panels.
There has been some bugs removed and a little cleanup on all mods. TextureReplacer is no longer used by any LRAero mods, so if you are not using it for anything else you can delete it from your GameData folder.

Also the Duna Base Camp & HOYO CEV expansion has been released. Check it out.

Some thoughts on the DADV-1:

1. First things first, congrats on this brilliant mod! The new texturing made the most beautiful mod even shine more :wink: Probably the best one so far you've made in my opinion is the DADV.
    Why do I think so? Because it combines functional elements of a craft, science lab, lander, etc all in one neat design. And secondly it looks just brilliant!
  2. I was yesterday just giving your new Duna Base Campe a try. Naturally wanted do combine it with the DADV and take both for a spin. However when I was checking the RCS configuration on the ship I realised there are no for and aft thrusters is that correct? Did I miss something on the design when I assembled the ship or how do you dock the DADV without these thrusters?
  3. Your mods all support TAC life support, however is there maybe a future option this could be swapped with USI lifesupport? Again it is more work and not 100% in line with your very realistic designs but it would make it even more fun to use. :)
  4. Lastly I still want to ask you once more about CKAN ^^ I really think you deserve more attention from the community and people should get to enjoy your work more widely. Also it makes it easier to maintain modes when pushing updates.

In any case thank you soooooooo much for your outstanding work! These modes do really shine like gems among the rest.

Cheers, a great fan your work

Electrogarch

@Electrograch Thank you so much for your kind words and glad you find the mod useful apart from just looking good.
Regarding CKAN, now that i finished updating all the mods to work with TU i will look into it.
Regarding USI, again i will look into adding cfgs to support it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Regarding DADV's RCS. The Cockpit part features thrusters to push the craft backwards and the Oxidizer tank part (lower biggest part) features thrusters to push the craft forward.
All the RCS thrusters you need are built in to the parts. Hope this helps, let me know.

Cheers.

@silentvelcro I check it yesterday. You are right, the texturing actually shows the thrusters. However, as you can see in the screenshot below, the fore thrusters have a force of 0kN and are therefore are not present. :/ Any ideas where to they have gone missing? Also it is worth noting that enabling or disabling 2 out of the 3 rcs moduls in the DADV Cockpit configuration doesn't seem to change anything...

U98ZQ5B.png

Now that I write about, I also seem to faintly remeber having had some issue with a too long .cfg file name when I installed the latest version of this mod. Might be that I lost these RCS modules with that file?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @THX-1138. Glad you like it. The rover is for a single kerbal.
I tried to fit 2 of these, but it didn't work out. Also i want the rover to be able to redock with the DADV inside the bay, which it does now and with 2 rovers it was impossible.
I haven't tested a different rover, in theory you can, but the DADV rover i made is quite small in order to fit correctly.

Edited by silentvelcro

@silentvelcro  If possible, could I make a suggestion for your DADV rover to inspire you with a two seat design?

"BobCat" made a great "tiny" rover called Duna Exploration Manned Vehicle (DEMV) Mk. 5 "Ant"

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

Edited by THX-1138
Re-post screenshots and video

@silentvelcro Sad but understandable.  I was never to keen with NASA's Lunar Electric Rover.  It is slow, heavy and complicated.  My idea for an astronaut vehicle is by designing it with the "K.I.S.S." principle:

jsc2004e18858.jpg

Either way, I do appreciate your contributions to KSP.  I will definitely download and use what ever you decide in the future with the rover.

Edited by THX-1138

Hi silentvelcro, 

I love the DADV-1 ship. I did run across an issue with your DADV Science lab and airlock module. I have alt-F12 debugging with show all log errors on the screen. I have not seen anyone else comment on it and not sure where to report any issues to you.

When I pick the part to put into my VAB/MAB it throws the error -[ModuleScienceLab]: No Container Module found at index 0, When you right click on the part is will spam: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I posted the relevant part of the MADVlab.cfg file below. If you look at the Module with ModuleScienceContainer, it is actually the second module listed at index 1. In the ModuleScienceLab the containerModuleIndex = 0. So it is looking at Module index 0 location which is currently ModuleLiftingSurface. It goes ModuleIndex  0 , ModuleIndex 1, ModuleIndex 2, etc.. So if you change containerModuleIndex = 0 to a 1, it will fix the issue. Alternatively you could move the ModuleLiftingSurface to the bottom of the config.  I did test your other labs StationModulesSC.cfg, MBCLAB.cfg and they function properly even though they have the module - name = LifeSupportModule. It must be something with module manager where only certain modules will count for the Index #, only experimenting will find it.

CrewCapacity = 3

INTERNAL
    {
    name = MADV_LAB_INTERIOR
    }

MODULE
    {
    name = ModuleLiftingSurface
    useInternalDragModel = False
    deflectionLiftCoeff = 1.6
    dragAtMaxAoA = 0.6
    dragAtMinAoA = 0.1
    }

RESOURCE
    {
    name = ElectricCharge
    amount = 600
    maxAmount = 600
    }

MODULE
    {
    name = ModuleScienceContainer
    reviewActionName = Review Data
    storeActionName = Store Experiments
    collectActionName = Take Data
    evaOnlyStorage = True
    storageRange = 2
    allowRepeatedSubjects = True
    }

MODULE
    {
    name = ModuleScienceLab
    containerModuleIndex = 0                       Needs to be changed to containerModuleIndex = 1
    dataStorage = 750
    crewsRequired = 1
    canResetConnectedModules = True
    canResetNearbyModules = True
    interactionRange = 5
    SurfaceBonus = 0.1
    ContextBonus = 0.25
    homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
        RESOURCE_PROCESS
        {
        name = ElectricCharge
        amount = 10
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 
        scientistBonus = 0.25    
        researchTime = 6       
        scienceMultiplier = 5    
        scienceCap = 500   
        powerRequirement = 1.25
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKerbNetAccess
        MinimumFoV = 17
        MaximumFoV = 63
        AnomalyDetection = 0
        DISPLAY_MODES
        {
            Mode = Terrain,#autoLOC_438839 //#autoLOC_438839 = Terrain
            Mode = Biome,#autoLOC_438890 //#autoLOC_438890 = Biome
        }
        REQUIRED_EFFECTS
        {
            Effect = ScienceSkill
        }
    }

Cheers

A telescopic bay would be nice add on, and those rovers are looking superb.  Next thing you know you'll be putting cargo bays into the side of the ship with retractable covers for people to put their experiments in for a nice clean look.

Oh I just wanted to mention, I did have to make a water landing with the DAVD-1, strong winds, lack of fuel and Jeb's Navigation skill seemed to be a factor, totally not my fault. After splash down, the ship tipped to one side and when I went horizontal the impact destroyed the DADV cockpit killing all Kerbals on board. Just thinking the cockpit might need a bit more crash tolerance as it was destroyed just tipping over into water. It looked awesome tipping over though.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, silentvelcro said:

@Barar thank you for that and your kind words. I had no idea. Will correct this on the next update. Nice catch!

dadv_field_science.jpg

Coming soon....
Featuring manned and unmanned rovers, scientific experiments and updated parts for the DADV ship featuring a bay with a telescopic platform for delivering the rover.

Definitely your 3-D models and textures are one of the best found within the KSP community.  This design looks like a Soviet Era from the early 70s, like it very much just wished it could have held at least to Kerbals.  Looking forward to it's release.

Edited by THX-1138

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2018 at 2:17 AM, silentvelcro said:

@Barar thank you for that and your kind words. I had no idea. Will correct this on the next update. Nice catch!

dadv_field_science.jpg

Coming soon....
Featuring manned and unmanned rovers, scientific experiments and updated parts for the DADV ship featuring a bay with a telescopic platform for delivering the rover.

*wistles* how do you get the detailing so good...i use blender and have yet to crate a mod...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.