Mobile Version of KSP

• 1 month later...

As we all know KSP 2 is about to release.

What about mobile users who want to play ksp. I have a friend that plays on mobile and really wants to play ksp.

I saw a post 3 years ago, saying that ksp is too powerful for mobiles and SimpleRockets 1 is as far as it can get

WELL

That was 3 years ago and now mobile phones are now powerful such as some mobiles now have 12gbs of ram and that's ALOT for mobile users (I think) 

For example.

You have a craft on your pc that you want to finish but can't cuz your on a holiday or something and your pc is at your home

You only have your phone with you. Well you can download the craft and edit it! (You know what I mean)

You could remove some features but PLEASE add ksp for mobiles, PLEASE.

2 hours ago, OverFlow said:

As we all know, ksp 2 is releasing.. but there's still no ksp for mobiles. You would say ksp's too heavy for mobiles but these days mobiles have upto 12gbs of ram

It's not about ram; it's that the physics calculations that KSP uses would beat up most mobile CPUs. So you'd have to develop a simplified version, and at that point it's just a simplerockets clone. 

6 hours ago, OverFlow said:

As we all know, ksp 2 is releasing.. but there's still no ksp for mobiles. You would say ksp's too heavy for mobiles but these days mobiles have upto 12gbs of ram

3 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

It's not about ram; it's that the physics calculations that KSP uses would beat up most mobile CPUs. So you'd have to develop a simplified version, and at that point it's just a simplerockets clone. 

Here's the thing. I have a macbook, and macbooks are usually average-ish computers. And then if I start playing KSP, and I have my laptop on my lap, my thighs will be seared. KSP really takes its performance toll. If I try to run it on my windows potato, then well, the whole computer crashes within a minute of opening the game, and it has 32 GB of RAM. And even my potato computer is better than most smartphones. And there's also the graphics. Smartphone "graphics" cards, as you could call it, are nowhere nearly as powerful as a computer's graphic's cards. Also, another question: how would you get mods? How would you build something with an absolutely tiny screen? And how are you going to control everything? Action Groups? Staging? And even if it does get put into consideration, there's really only a small amount of people who want that, and it really complicates things, so they probably won't do it. 

Hope that gives you a wider perspective of things.

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

RAM is beside the point here. The main problem here is that phone processors aren't powerful enough to run KSP. There's only so fast you can run a processor that needs to run off a tiny battery for hours with no active cooling, and that just isn't fast enough for something CPU-intensive like KSP's physics calculations.

2 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Here's the thing. I have a macbook, and macbooks are usually average-ish computers. And then if I start playing KSP, and I have my laptop on my lap, my thighs will be seared. KSP really takes its performance toll. If I try to run it on my windows potato, then well, the whole computer crashes within a minute of opening the game, and it has 32 GB of RAM. And even my potato computer is better than most smartphones. And there's also the graphics. Smartphone "graphics" cards, as you could call it, are nowhere nearly as powerful as a computer's graphic's cards. Also, another question: how would you get mods? How would you build something with an absolutely tiny screen? And how are you going to control everything? Action Groups? Staging? And even if it does get put into consideration, there's really only a small amount of people who want that, and it really complicates things, so they probably won't do it. 

Macbooks also have crap thermal solutions, and phones are even worse. And i assumed for a mobile version it would be treated like Console, and stock would be the only thing on offer.

But yeah; we're pretty much on the same page here. Even if you got past the hurdles of porting the code to ARM, optimizing and then trimming enough fat for a ok-ish experience; the UI would need to be drastically simplified to the point of being nearly useless.

A spinoff game where you could track experiments, have crew rosters, mission patches and flags i think would be a much better idea.

6 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

SimpleRockets2 works with all those action groups controls and you can build rockets there. But since ksp is much more realistic. We'll need a simplified version with less calculations and that's probably not gonna happen

Edited by OverFlow

6 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

I have my laptop on my lap, my thighs will be seared.

It's normal. You are aerobraking, the pad gets hot.
Also the engines heat.
Try using radiators and a heatshield.

The textures can be simplified to several monochrome ones for the whole game, so probably RAM is not a sticking point.
Effects, shadows, light cascades should be definitely eliminated.

At the end we get high-res Elite 2/3: Frontier for mobiles, which would be not that bad as for me.
But unlikely somebody will do this.

2 hours ago, OverFlow said:

SimpleRockets2 works with all those action groups controls and you can build rockets there. But since ksp is much more realistic. We'll need a simplified version with less calculations and that's probably not gonna happen

The touch controls are garbage... not just on simple rockets, but touch controls in general... touch control gaming is the biggest step back in gaming... Flying anything in simple rockets is horrible, and building is ok, but doing anything more complex than getting to the moon is a real pain... seriously, the translational controls are horrible, and that’s even if you can get a couple crafts near each other. I play on ps4, so my controls are already a little limited... I don’t even want to imagine how limited a touch control would be.

And as everybody above me said... cpu and gpu performance are just not there for mobile.

6 hours ago, Bingleberry said:

The touch controls are garbage... not just on simple rockets, but touch controls in general... touch control gaming is the biggest step back in gaming... Flying anything in simple rockets is horrible, and building is ok, but doing anything more complex than getting to the moon is a real pain... seriously, the translational controls are horrible, and that’s even if you can get a couple crafts near each other. I play on ps4, so my controls are already a little limited... I don’t even want to imagine how limited a touch control would be.

And as everybody above me said... cpu and gpu performance are just not there for mobile.

Well, it was a thought. I don't even have a mobile phone. I hate the entire eyes glued to devices culture.

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

I hate the entire eyes glued to devices culture.

Is my bias apparent?

Edit: I tried simple rockets 2 for iPad first... and enjoyed it, then I heard about ksp and got it for ps4 (my only computer is for work, and I can’t put anything on that). I can’t stop playing it...

Edited by Bingleberry

8 minutes ago, Bingleberry said:

Is my bias apparent?

Edit: I tried simple rockets 2 for iPad first... and enjoyed it, then I heard about ksp and got it for ps4 (my only computer is for work, and I can’t put anything on that). I can’t stop playing it...

I think Simple Rockets is a good introduction and the learning curve is a lot less, but once in KSP, I just find it so much more engaging.  And it is amazing just how important the little Kerbals are to the game.  You really miss them.

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I think Simple Rockets is a good introduction and the learning curve is a lot less, but once in KSP, I just find it so much more engaging.  And it is amazing just how important the little Kerbals are to the game.  You really miss them.

Couldn’t agree more... I come back to SimpleRockets every once in a while, when I am killing time, but it just doesn’t have the same character as ksp.

By making a gesture control for a mobile game now, they would make it for the future spaceship in the future.

Just now you have to touch the screen, while the spaceship will be managed by fingering in air.

Another advantage of the latter: a spacemen can control the ship from EVA just with gestures.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 5/2/2020 at 6:21 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Macbooks also have crap thermal solutions,

I heard that Steve Jobs said that if your computer overheated you just need to drop it from 5 inches I wonder if it still works. 

However, Ksp+ phone= phone melts

On 5/11/2020 at 8:36 AM, Goaty1208 said:

I heard that Steve Jobs said that if your computer overheated you just need to drop it from 5 inches I wonder if it still works. 

However, Ksp+ phone= phone melts

That's just a clever ploy to sell more...

'Hello is that the warranty department ?  My iMac is overheating'

'Yes, sorry to hear that, have you tried dropping  it?'

'Yes, I tried that'

'Oh, that's a pity, your warranty is now void as you deliberately dropped it.  But I can give you a special  offer on a new one.'

3 hours ago, pandaman said:

That's just a clever ploy to sell more...

'Hello is that the warranty department ?  My iMac is overheating'

'Yes, sorry to hear that, have you tried dropping  it?'

'Yes, I tried that'

'Oh, that's a pity, your warranty is now void as you deliberately dropped it.  But I can give you a special  offer on a new one.'

Didn't you know? Apple isn't a hardware company; they're a sales company!

But seriously gents; this is the last thread we should be taking a dump on APPL on. Let's get back on topic pls.

5 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

But seriously gents; this is the last thread we should be taking a dump on APPL on. Let's get back on topic pls.

Agreed.  

Whilst I like the idea of a mobile version for KSP, I think it is just not practical to make a version similar enough to the PC or console versions to be viable or playable, due to many of the issues already mentioned above.

That said, official mobile 'support' apps etc could easily be useable.  Things like mission planners and KSPedia, etc. immediately come to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an idea

why not make physics and controls similar to SR2 and instead just have ksp parts and planets(also im already working on ports of BK AK and BH for SR2) stock system for SR2 is alredy in development by another user

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.