Mobile Version of KSP

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

"Thousands" is a bit optimistic. 300 sounds more realistically.

It’s been said by the developers that ships with “thousands” of parts will work nicely. 300 is current KSP.

11 hours ago, razark said:

I think the best indicator of how badly KSP is implemented is the high number of clones/KSP-alikes/direct competitors it has spawned that handled everything so much better than KSP itself.

None of which do everything that KSP does.

• 1 month later...

Mobile devices have puny hardware compared to consoles, let alone gaming PCs. If you tried to port KSP to a phone or tablet it would look terrible (because it would need to run at minimum settings), the UI would need to be completely redone to work with touchscreens and, most importantly, the phone or tablet would chew through its battery and get uncomfortably hot in the process. I don’t know about you, but I prefer my mobile games without second degree burns on my fingers.

26 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Mobile devices have puny hardware compared to consoles, let alone gaming PCs. If you tried to port KSP to a phone or tablet it would look terrible (because it would need to run at minimum settings), the UI would need to be completely redone to work with touchscreens and, most importantly, the phone or tablet would chew through its battery and get uncomfortably hot in the process. I don’t know about you, but I prefer my mobile games without second degree burns on my fingers.

Also, KSP only uses one CPU core, meanwhile most phones have slow multi-core processors, making any phone running KSP a good portable heater, as well as KSP itself looking garbage because of the bad GPUs, and the FPS in the single digits.

(DISCLAIMER : I'm no coder, but I know how badly KSP runs on sub-par hardware so I'm only quoting experience here)

This oft asked question has been merged into the megathread.

But just to add my two cents, if I haven't already previously, hardware considerations aside, KSP would just be stupid hard to play on a touch screen.   I have enough trouble always picking the right entry from my contacts list, let alone trying to place a booster stack in just the right location with 6x symmetry.   Without KBM support, it would be pointless to play on a mobile device.  And if they did support the keyboard and mouse, then why do I want to play it on such a dinky little screen? 

Again

Just reduce things a lot, a HARD vessel cap(10 seems ok, flags don't count)

Debris would be deleted after 30 sec, and also, aero would be heavily reduced, also, remove all the effects from engines, including smoke trails(these cause so much lag for me), also about the heat issue, Just make anything not in the current SOI freeze in place, after a certain period(5 mins, so that your lander still gets to land after your orbiter goes to orbit), also, just make it kerbin, mun, minmus, duna?, eve?

3 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

HARD vessel cap

It's not the vessel count that taxes the CPU, it's the part count of the current vessel.   I don't think it would be enjoyable with a part limit of 20-30 parts. 

Debris would be deleted after 30 sec

Again, anything outside of physics range is not what strains the CPU.

aero would be heavily reduced

We've had that before, pre 1.0 soup-o-sphere.  It was horrible.

Just make anything not in the current SOI freeze in place

That would screw up all the transfer windows, transfer orbits, etc. 

Basically with all those suggestions, you're almost left with this

• 1 month later...

Well for modern mobiles it’s technically possible on minimum settings, but I suggest to just develop a 2.5D version of the game, like with the same features but without the Z axis. Yes, I know, it would be similar to the other 2D rocket games, but his is the only solution.

KSP 1.11 in 2.5D will still have liquid, EVA, contracts and strategies, plane mechanics, more parts, overheat and drag effects (re-entry), navigation nodes, time wraps,  original Easter eggs (no not Kraken), etc.. You see? Although it no longer features the Z axis, it would still have lot of the feathers 3D KSP have, and most importantly, it’s more achievable in mobile.

Definitely worth to think about, but it would take time to develop if this became true.

By the way, I did not mentioned the UI.

Everything I have just mentioned is pointless if we put the UI on the table. The screen is just too small. Let’s just say we remove the nav-ball. Action groups and staging order is options inside the pause menu. Parts (no matter VAB, SPH or EVA constructing) are forced to be placed in specific places only. Everything on the up right corner of the screen is options inside the pause menu. Overall it’s quite annoying to use. Maybe we can construct in portrait mode? Idk. It’s a lot of problems.

Graphics is not an issue. Modern phone should be able to deal with it. Except they can’t

Overall this is my opinion. What is the conclusion? KSP is achievable if we convert it to 2.5D, as long as the UI is not an issue.

Let's create Kerbal Earth Program where you have to walk around the world, collect parts scattered everywhere, pick up contracts from certain spots, then build rockets using AR and click a button to send it to space

Because it sells, worked for Ingress, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Minecraft oh wait that last one already died

Recently my mind has changed about this. Most mobile devices are probably powerful enough to run a (slimmed down an optimized to hell and back) version of KSP. The problem is KSP 2 absolutely won't be able to run on them, and why port an older version of the game to a device when you have a new version ready to go?

On 1/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, Fraston said:

At this point, just buy SFS.

(Says me, who hasn’t touched SFS, but only heard about it)

I've tried it, it's pretty okay. I think an SFS-style game branded with KSP and having Kerbals in it would work fine as like a marketing tool.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:02 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

And it was said earlier that we could make eggs on the phones/tablets if we did do it. I will repeat my breakfast order again, I want 2 eggs, scrambled, with a side of hashbrowns and sausage, and an orange juice.

I think it would be nice if we had a a craft desinger but not the gameplay. My idea is that you select a part in the parts bar then click on the object you want to attach it to and then select the right node or if you want to attach radially  the symettry. Then if you click on a placed part you can click delete or the move tool. The move tool should be buttons with up down forward backward right left and rotate the same but then with rotation. 

9 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Looks at KSP. 
Looks at console ports.  
Looks at complaints list. 

Looks at mobile platform, with an even worse control system than the consoles and an inevitably buggier port.   

Largely down to the developers of either version. Simple Rockets has proven that a mobile port would be possible if KSP wasn't built on jelly and gravel.

13 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Looks at KSP. 
Looks at console ports.  
Looks at complaints list. 

Looks at mobile platform, with an even worse control system than the consoles and an inevitably buggier port.   

IDK why people keep suggesting KSP mobile. It just doesn't make sense. Why make a version that is intentionally worse than the previous. I waited for KSP to come on the 3DS for 5 years and just eventually learned it would never happen because at the time of announcement the game was so much smaller back then. It's basically the same reason why main games on pcs usually never ever transfer to mobile (excluding a few like Minecraft but that requires less requirements) 

On 1/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, The Aziz said:

Minecraft oh wait that last one already died

Rip Minecraft Earth :(

You will always be in our hearts

I mean... It just doesn't make much sense. Some companies might claim that their phones are as powerful as laptops *cough* Apple *cough*. The processing power just isn't there.

They probably couldn't even get it to run on Switch. Especially since that uses almost a half decade old CPU/GPU.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.