No connection to send command on

So I have a simple craft with an octocore and a communotron + double dipole antenna.  they are both deployed.

My world is scaled up at 2.5x

Also using remotetech.

No matter what I do, it keeps telling me there's no connection to send commands on despite the two antennas on the craft and I've scaled up the remote tech ranges by 5x on antennas and 2.5x on groundstations.

What the heck is the deal here, I'm so confused.

None of those are it, the probe has electricity directly out of the VAB and is not in hibernation.

And the launchpad is sitting right on top of a red dot when I check the map.  The red dot is the groundstation, correct?

The red dot says "Kerbal Space Center" and reads Omni 200Mm

3 hours ago, James Kerman said:

While I've never used remote tech, I seem to remember you need to "point" one antenna to KSC.  If you right click on an antenna do you have any options to connect?

Been a while since I dealt with RT. But IIRC not exactly, there's omnidirectional and directional antennas. Only the later type needs to be pointed. Still, something to check out.

Other than that (as silly as it may sound) there's the possibility of the lainchpad not having line of sight to the nearby tracking station because both are at ground level. In that case you may use launch clamps to have control at the launchpad and will have cobtact with the tracking station after climbing a few meters.

Edited by Spricigo

@Fergrim:

I'm inclined to go with @Spricigo's answer here.  You mentioned that this is at 2.5x scale, so any issues with line-of-sight at ground level would be exacerbated.  It's also possible that you didn't scale the ground station location correctly and it is now technically below ground level, which could put it out of sight of everything.  Change the ground station height in RemoteTech's default settings file and see whether that helps.  I believe the default for a 1x scaled Kerbin is 75, so try 187.5 (or 200 if that doesn't work) and let us know whether that fixes the problem.  If that doesn't work, then try rescaling Kerbin back to 1x to see whether it really is a scaling issue.  Then try turning off the connection requirement (also in the settings), and if that doesn't work, then try reinstalling the mod.

@James Kerman:

Only certain types of antenna can 'point', as you put it, but the funny thing about RemoteTech is that if you need to point to Mission Control and are not already pointed to Mission Control, then there is no option to reset the antenna because there's no connection to send the command.  Unlike stock, loss of signal means total loss of real-time control (you can pre-program commands using the simple flight computer, but that's it with default settings).  However, the dipole antenna (both of them, actually) start out activated, so that cannot be the issue.  I don't know whether the challenge appeals to you, but since you haven't used RemoteTech yet, I do encourage you to try it out.

Edited by Zhetaan

Hey guys thanks so much for helping me out.

It turned out to be a problem with the remotetech config autoconfig .cfg that came packed with the planet pack I was using.

Well it was a combination of that + because of 2.5x scale the normal, default remotetech cfg ground station location was far from my launch site.  I still haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with the cfg that came with my planet pack, even after meticulous comparisons and copying any discrepancies.  I think, essentially, that the modified location was actually embedded in some terrain and was preventing me from connecting due to being blocked.

Thanks again for all your help, this was driving me absolutely nuts.

And on a random side note, if anyone is ever trying to launch a probe that just stubbornly won't SAS even though it should, go to remotetech's flight computer and give Off a click or two.  Even if you never manually activated it, it prevents SAS >_<

And yes, my problem is due to constant, obsessive cfg tinkering on my part.  @James Kerman Remotetech is fantastic and I highly recommend it.  The only additional challenge it adds is of the purely fun sort and nothing less, it's highly rewarding and brings the remote connections up to a realism level you'd expect given the standard the rest of the game sets.

Edited by Fergrim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.