Req: a mod that places orbital stations to planets?

Spraki

Hi. 

This is... Probably a stupid request (and I should probably stop right now). But here we go again.

I know there is hyperedit. And maybe I should use that, but I was hoping for something that can place things at random planets and orbits instead of me placing them there via hyperedit. 

Here's the request:

A mod that can take craft files (like stations or actual vessels that you place into the mod's craft folder), and maybe place them into different orbit of moons and planets. 

Or err, do contracts kind of do this already?

I don't know if this a brain fart.

Why?

Placing a station via hyperedit seems a bit too clumsy, as I think the actual vessel itself would collapse in itself once loading into flight. Using devcheat/hack gravity could save me from that maybe. 

Also, iirc, both hyperedit and devcheat teleport would only have them in perfect orbits. It would be boring to just place them at perfect orbits. So instead, I was hoping if there is a way to have said stations/crafts have some RNG to put them random or inclinded orbits around celestial bodies. Just to get some challenge. 

In other words, I wonder about having things be placed at random orbits, but without me putting it there (because I think both hyperedit and devcheat only make stable orbits?). 

Does that make sense? '-'

edit: Clarifications.

Edited by Spraki

4 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

Not clear. Do you mean to put your craft in an orbit around another body without having to fly it there? That's  already in the dev/cheat feature.

I think he wants it’s to be an automatic random orbit placement tool upon load of the game to simulate random encounters later... but he plans on using hyperedit/cheat menu to get there later??? That’s what I’m confused about... “I don’t want to use Hyperedit, but I’m gonna use Hyperedit...” 

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

But why? You never really said why. You just followed up with another statement. 

1 hour ago, Kerbital said:

Not clear. Do you mean to put your craft in an orbit around another body without having to fly it there? That's  already in the dev/cheat feature.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I think he wants it’s to be an automatic random orbit placement tool upon load of the game to simulate random encounters later... but he plans on using hyperedit/cheat menu to get there later??? That’s what I’m confused about... “I don’t want to use Hyperedit, but I’m gonna use Hyperedit...” 

No. I am not gonna use hyperedit to get there. 

I had a bad choice of words there. I updated to OP

No, I don't intend to use hyperedit at all. I want to avoid that actually. 

15 minutes ago, Spraki said:

No. I am not gonna use hyperedit to get there. 

I had a bad choice of words there. I updated to OP

No, I don't intend to use hyperedit at all. I want to avoid that actually. 

Ok reread the op.. I would open up the cheat menu and or Hyperedit and look at the options they give you... you can set inclinations, eccentricity, and much much more. They default to stable circular orbits if you only choose the SMA. You will have to input the rest of the info into the correct fields

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Spraki said:

Placing a station via hyperedit seems a bit too clumsy, as I think the actual vessel itself would collapse in itself once loading into flight. Using devcheat/hack gravity could save me from that maybe. 

Not if your quick about it. you can support it with normal clamps and just get the stock orbit system setup. then just release the clamps and click to send it to orbit. done it plenty of times. stuff shouldn't USUALLY explode.

3 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

Not if your quick about it. you can support it with normal clamps and just get the stock orbit system setup. then just release the clamps and click to send it to orbit. done it plenty of times. stuff shouldn't USUALLY explode.

Hack gravity while you're in the VAB. Reset gravity while you're in orbit. Teleport to the same place again to restore your orbit. (Resetting gravity while in orbit will deorbit anything in physics range)

And use all of the orbit options in the teleporter (stock or Hyper) as Galileo said.

Ok. Didn't know you could hack gravity in the editors. Suppose I will have to do it all manually after all. Regarding the placements.

Just wish I could be surprised where things end up. A bit like with contracts. I will try out what was suggested instead.

Thanks all :)

1 hour ago, Spraki said:

Just wish I could be surprised where things end up. A bit like with contracts. I will try out what was suggested instead.

I would kinda hope a space program would know quite well where there space stations are.

But then.... These ARE Kerbals. :D

Edited by SpaceMouse

On 1.12.2017 at 10:03 PM, SpaceMouse said:

I would kinda hope a space program would know quite well where there space stations are.

But then.... These ARE Kerbals. :D

The idea, which is a bit roleplay, was to have Kerbin have not one but many space program cultures doing their sci space stuff. So it would be no surprised to find stations littering the skies of other celestial bodie.

I guess I will place them manually after all, haha.

I'm sure that there is a mod that preplaces some stations around bodies and you play by purchashing a craft and earn funds by flying between stations.

Just not sure what it is called and my brain is too fuzzy to know what to google search.

Peace.

23 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I'm sure that there is a mod that preplaces some stations around bodies and you play by purchashing a craft and earn funds by flying between stations.

Just not sure what it is called and my brain is too fuzzy to know what to google search.

Peace.

I suppose is this one.

Unfortunately, didn't found an updated version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.