KSP Weekly: The night that turned into day

SQUAD

14 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

The doors are Their but they are Barely Visable I couldn't find them on the dark side of earth 

I meant the ones in museums.  Most of the images I found seemed to not have them, except for the one at JSC.  Which is hanging from a ceiling, instead.

7 minutes ago, razark said:

I meant the ones in museums.  Most of the images I found seemed to not have them, except for the one at JSC.  Which is hanging from a ceiling, instead.

I just think a little touch up on the door wouldn't be a bad thing it's jut hard to find find the door.  

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The art team, on the other hand, wrapped up our Gemini Capsule analogue this week - a two man, 1.875m pod with a 0.625m attachment point.  As promised, you can take a look at a preview pic here.

KSP2.0: Mankind Space Srogram confirmmmmmmmmed!

4 hours ago, klesh said:

For a PC player thats not interested in the DLC, this is a pretty small KSP Weekly; two whole sentences.  Thanks, I guess.  

That's hardly surprising since the entire focus of development right now (aside from the console re-release) is the expansion. :P

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Update 1.4 is coming along as the team continues to work on the Unity 2017.1 upgrade

Has there been any info posted about what the Unity upgrade will change/improve? Nerd level, nitty gritty details plz! In particular, does this upgrade do anything to improve the garbage collector?

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

Has there been any info posted about what the Unity upgrade will change/improve? Nerd level, nitty gritty details plz! In particular, does this upgrade do anything to improve the garbage collector?

That is rely good one question.... through the engine change i am afraid many community works will go the dinosaurus way and fade...

@SQUAD we a hopping after seeing this works for model overhauls:wink: As i don't realy see a fine looking craft with those parts atop an orange boosterstage:D

Edited by Urses

Does anyone know if we lose are data with the console updates? I know they said SOMEWHERE they wanted to try let console players keep their data but that was early in development... I'm concerned because I'm bait it begin some long duration missions to Laythe and I don't want to lose all my data if I don't have to somill just pause playing KSP Unitl the update if I'm going to loose data if I get to keep in I'm going to start my Laythe missions. If you do know please cite the release if you can

Edited by Cheif Operations Director

Here is a pic of the Molly Brown. I didn't take the photo but I have seen the capsule in the museum. What little color may have been present has faded. Even the United States and flag decal doesn't pop out at you.

7524125664_7005e08495_h.jpg

Contrast that with the '60's Batman color scheme seen on Gemini 7.

gemini_7.jpg

The analog shown in the Weekly matches the design of the MK1 pod as reworked by porkjet and is close to the museum Molly Brown. I prefer the Gemini 7 version but I'm a big fan of cheesy '60's Batman. Either way it's all good. 

Maybe the red pinstriping (which is probably all it actually was, simply to outline key components and make them easier to see. And to make it look cool) on the Molly Brown was charred during re-entry. And what is that little red flag at the right edge of the Gemini 7 capsule where it joins the SM, it looks like a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" tag?

The Kemini capsule looks good so far, but I agree some red (green?) pinstriping would make it look kooler.

Glad to hear that the console version is moving along, hopefully I can get my boys into KSP that way. Hopefully someone in QA is testing it with a 500 year, 100 active flight savegame. 

12 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Why cant the stock one look this good...?

It probably could all it needs is to be rendered with lighting in engine, and given a brushed up diffuse and specular map that reflects the ALL details in the normal map especially the ribbing. So far it looks like they did the usual "WIP" trick of just slacking the normal map on over a noisy diffuse. It gets the message across, but doesn't hold up under admiration so I hope this gets proper detailing for release.

Also like @regex and holy @frizzank said red accents help.

11 hours ago, katateochi said:

As a matter of fact, that's probably the main performance increase we'll see.  The new Unity is using a much more up to date version of Mono, which has much better garbage collection.  I can't say how much of an improvement the end user will see, but I'm hoping for something nice.

13 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Why cant the stock one look this good...?

You know exactly why, it's because "trash lying by the side of the road" is an actual thing in the game. We literally have fuel tanks that look like 55-gallon drums, the entire original aesthetic was "garbage".

If the aesthetic is "garbage" then it follows that the parts will look like garbage, and not through lack of skill on the part of the artist.

Edited by regex

9 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Does anyone know if we lose are data with the console updates? I know they said SOMEWHERE they wanted to try let console players keep their data but that was early in development... I'm concerned because I'm bait it begin some long duration missions to Laythe and I don't want to lose all my data if I don't have to somill just pause playing KSP Unitl the update if I'm going to loose data if I get to keep in I'm going to start my Laythe missions. If you do know please cite the release if you can

If it were me playing on console, I'd assume I'm going to lose my saves when I get the new Kerbal Space Program; the game Blitworks will be delivering appears to be an entire re-write from what was delivered by Flying Tiger (and you should be thankful of that from what I've heard).  Perhaps the save structure will remain the same, but I wouldn't bet on it at all...

1 hour ago, Eric S said:

As a matter of fact, that's probably the main performance increase we'll see.  The new Unity is using a much more up to date version of Mono, which has much better garbage collection.  I can't say how much of an improvement the end user will see, but I'm hoping for something nice.

"much better garbage collection" - I really hope that is the case, and if it is, it's the "feature" that I'm most excited about.  

33 minutes ago, katateochi said:

"much better garbage collection" - I really hope that is the case, and if it is, it's the "feature" that I'm most excited about.  

Same here.  No first hand experience with Mono, so I could be overstating the GC improvements, but I have hope.

12 hours ago, katateochi said:

I am still convinced that the big trouble with KSP garbage collection is all the white-listing needed for the stock parts...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.