The 2018 Kerbal Dakar

Okay, time to clarify some things here.

The original Dakar was built to bring people together and allow friendship, a fun, fair challenge, etc. etc. Using a SRB-mobile that is 100% against the spirit is just plain dumb. You're breaking the spirit of KDC as we know it, and there's no reason to. I'm going to say this only once. Don't be a jerk, play nice, and play fair.

24 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Okay, time to clarify some things here.

The original Dakar was built to bring people together and allow friendship, a fun, fair challenge, etc. etc. Using a SRB-mobile that is 100% against the spirit is just plain dumb. You're breaking the spirit of KDC as we know it, and there's no reason to. I'm going to say this only once. Don't be a jerk, play nice, and play fair.

Or just disqualify the entry :wink: .... If someone wants to cheat then let them

Or make a leader board called "The Kiddies Table" for those who don't want to follow the spirit of the challenge

7 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Is the frame... uh supposed to be offset from the wheels?

No, it's the price of the Dakar rally, don't expect your vehicle to finish not bended a little...^_^

Did you know he did finish KSP Dakar 2017 in that croocked thing ?

:D

oqdxH2K.png

Edited by Triop

Let me get this straight, the KSP DAKAR is not really a competition, it's about completing the rally in any self created land based vehicle for your own satisfaction.

Sharing this with the community is what we want to see and believe me, presentation is more important than setting the fastest time.

Go build whatever land vehicle you want, and go for the 7 stages.

Show us.

Edited by Triop

On 12/11/2017 at 8:14 PM, GDJ said:

HOW THE HECK DID HE LIVE THRU THAT!?

Haven't you learned by now? Kerbals are almost indestructible. :P

Edited by qzgy

Aside from a few brushes with the Kraken, managed to get the course completed with a minimum of fuss. Found out early-on that the best way to take a bump in my vehicle was by going over it sideways, so I spent of lot of time listening to Initial D and looking like I was trying to audition for a remake of "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift." Total time was 1:10:42 with a jet-assisted car. Being able to climb hills without losing speed meant I could go over minor obstacles instead of wasting time going around, plus I could cover relatively flat ground at about twice the speed my vehicle could manage with electric alone. I'm thinking I might go back and do another trip around with a pure electric craft to see what it's like.

Anyway, pics and stuff are in the results topic linked in OP. Good luck to everyone else who's working on their trek!

Edited by Samwise Potato

2 minutes ago, Samwise Potato said:

Ooooh, shiny! Is the frame a single piece, or some crazy off-set tool mastery?

Tool mastery. It's a older mod called DK Salvage. A conglomeration of tubes and trusses.

1 hour ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Are you allowed to use other peoples craft? I drove the 2017 course as a test run using @katateochi's Rambler, and I really liked it. On another note, are you allowed to use Hyperedit to refuel at checkpoints? The Rambler uses fuel cells, so refueling is necessary. 

You can use your own fuel thingies (KAS or docking ports recommended), but no hyper edit.

1 hour ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Before I enter my Pagani-style supercar, I want to ask @DarkOwl57 to try it out.

uh...... what?

8 hours ago, Samwise Potato said:

Wow, super impressive. It has a real dune buggy vibe to it with that open frame of pipes.

Thanks!

It's surprisingly lightweight. The frame and seats by themselves weighs in at .4 tonnes (400 kilograms). Unfortunately the tank, wheels, and Fuel Cells add 1.2 tonnes.
Still 1.6 tonnes is still a light vehicle, but where the weight is isn't the best for handling (wheels). Too much unsprung mass.

But, it still works well. No real complaints.

No clue if propellers are allowed and how much lift generating parts can be added, but here's my entry and craft file. To honor the 'no-thrust-while-in-air' rule I toggled the propeller off before almost every hill. I used Mechjeb to assist in holding heading while doing the speed control and panicking myself. Average speed was about 63m/s and max G-forces... probably in the hundreds. But even though its fast and sturdy the appearance leaves much to be desired.

ON4Cgj2.jpg

12 hours ago, silks said:

No clue if propellers are allowed and how much lift generating parts can be added, but here's my entry and craft file. To honor the 'no-thrust-while-in-air' rule I toggled the propeller off before almost every hill. I used Mechjeb to assist in holding heading while doing the speed control and panicking myself. Average speed was about 63m/s and max G-forces... probably in the hundreds. But even though its fast and sturdy the appearance leaves much to be desired.

.............. uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................................... uhm.................................................

I'm 99.99999999999% sure that's not allowed. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.