The 2018 Kerbal Dakar

15 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I'm 99.99999999999% sure that's not allowed. 

Aw shucks. It was a thrilling experience nevertheless. Perhaps edit the rules and state how much lifting value (if at all) can be added. Guess Ill switch the prop to a jet and try again some day (might even be faster).

On 12/16/2017 at 9:16 PM, GDJ said:

No runs yet, just building and testing. So far this design can do start to first stage in 12:48 (average speed 49 m/s).

Very sturdy. Handles like a dream so far.

uj45YC3.png

K8eImRP.png

jyx30mO.png

You should stick an Outlaw Racing Inc engine in that thing ... I can make you a wheel config for those wheels you are using :)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

14 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

You should stick an Outlaw Racing Inc engine in that thing ... I can make you a wheel config for those wheels you are using :)

I'll have a look at the mod. Looks interesting. :)

10 hours ago, GDJ said:

I'll have a look at the mod. Looks interesting. :)

if you have any issues or can't quite get things working properly then let me know and I'll be on it like a fat kid on a smartie (no offence to fat kids intended as I am totally a fat kid :))

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

if you have any issues or can't quite get things working properly then let me know and I'll be on it like a fat kid on a smartie (no offence to fat kids intended as I am totally a fat kid :))

I'll PM you.

@DarkOwl57 tried the old route, liked it. If you still accept route suggestions, here's my chart (did not put all flags yet). This is a more orienteering-like route (since I formerly did bike and running orienteering), driver usually has many options to chose from, for instance go over mountain passes more directly or go around over plain. Or whether to go left or right around a mountain. Etc.

Though, after some testing I see there's a very big stimulus to go straighter over moutnains.

TFjDE8g.jpg

What's missing here is a detailed elevation map, just like in orienteering competitions. :)

Is there an elevation data file for Kerbin available? Could not find anything online.

Edited by Kulebron

So, my build Mk3 is ready and waiting at the first checkpoint by the KSC. She's an odd looking design and not the fastest (45ms average) but I'm hoping we can go over some obstacles rather than round, however this is KSP, and a quick test around the Centre will not be preparation enough for the rally....bring on the challenge!!!!

EDIT ****** - Just completed Stage 1 of the Dakar. Simply amazing! As much as my off-roader is on average 10ms slower compared to earlier testing, its holding out well, however the ride through the stage was actually very tense.....the last quarter of Stage 1 is great IMO. I will be straight back to the drawing board after a full attempt at the Rally....this challenge has really got the on-board gears krunching again :)

EDIT *** EDIT *** Grrrr......the first run didnt go according to plan.....Jeb was (unknown to me) thrown from his seat some 15Km from where my ride ended up....the probe core took control after the seat was vacated......

Time to rethink.....

Edited by maceemiller
Spelling

3 hours ago, ChaoticPheonix said:

I've tried Stage 1 twice now, both times my vehicle has gone through the world at different points and exploded. Unsure of what to do, game is almost completely stock.

There seems to be a misplaced terrain tile with a nasty invisible seam around 27km from the Stage 2 flag on my side. If you swing south you can avoid it or at least find a place where the seam isn't as severe. I'll be delimiting its extent before trying my official run. I don't know if it's the same tile for everyone but I'll make the delimited save public anyway.

As for new issues: The old deep space kraken seems to have returned. My ship and crew start jittering by the second flag as if I've lost krakensbane.

Edited by 0111narwhalz

I finished Stage 1 with a time of 10 minutes, 29 seconds all electric. Also, i broke one of the elevons at the nose near the end of the stage, before damaging and repairing the wheel that the elevon was attached to about a kilometer from the stage finish. And the stage flag was underground. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wYhSopEf5CkahFQKSdyGe92XhUm3y5Lj

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

I finished Stage 1 with a time of 10 minutes, 29 seconds all electric. Also, i broke one of the elevons at the nose near the end of the stage, before damaging and repairing the wheel that the elevon was attached to about a kilometer from the stage finish. And the stage flag was underground. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wYhSopEf5CkahFQKSdyGe92XhUm3y5Lj

That is a decent time for electric power :)

As for the flag under the ground, this was a problem for some people in the 2017 Dakar and it was related to the terrain detail setting when the flags were placed on the ground ... This happens due to the way the planet is rendered which will create different terrain heights for different terrain settings (I believe they were originally created on the normal terrain detail setting) ... For example, if you have the terrain detail on low the Pyramids will spawn under the ground

To fix it you can go to the tracking station, select a flag and choose to fly it (when it loads the flight scene KSP will reset it's height to the height of the terrain in your game) ... do this for each flag then create a custom save to use for the challenge

Hope this helps

18 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

That is a decent time for electric power :)

As for the flag under the ground, this was a problem for some people in the 2017 Dakar and it was related to the terrain detail setting when the flags were placed on the ground ... This happens due to the way the planet is rendered which will create different terrain heights for different terrain settings (I believe they were originally created on the normal terrain detail setting) ... For example, if you have the terrain detail on low the Pyramids will spawn under the ground

To fix it you can go to the tracking station, select a flag and choose to fly it (when it loads the flight scene KSP will reset it's height to the height of the terrain in your game) ... do this for each flag then create a custom save to use for the challenge

Hope this helps

Thanks! I figured that was why, but I didn’t realize I could fix it. 

My entry

screenshot280.png

Total time: 56 min. 06 sec. 

Spoiler

Stage 1 start 1:30

screenshot263.png

Stage 1 finish: 8:20 time = 6:50

screenshot264.png

Stage 2 start: 9:00

screenshot265.png

Stage 2 finish: 17:28 time: 8:28

screenshot266.png

Stage 3 start: 19:00

screenshot268.png

Stage 3 finish: 28:40 time: 9:40

screenshot269.png

Stage 4 start: 30:30

screenshot271.png

Stage 4 finish 38:17 time: 7:47screenshot272.png

Stage 5 start:  40:00

screenshot273.png

Stage 5 finish: 48:02 time: 8:02

screenshot274.png

Stage 6 start: 5:00 (clock resets after refueling)

screenshot276.png

Stage 6 finish: 13:32 time: 8:32

screenshot277.png

Stage 7 start: 16:00

screenshot278.png

Stage 7 finish: 22:29 time: 6:29

screenshot279.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.