The 2018 Kerbal Dakar

3 hours ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

I tried auto-strutting. They must be much weaker than the regular one...

so autostrut isn't a magical fix ... look at Val's Purple People Eater, pay attention to where the struts are placed

Using general engineering pricipals you can make a craft rock solid as exemplified by Val's PPE

Craft link is in the OP of my mission report linked on the previous page

5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Hmm wondering if the KF antigrav pads count as flying....

@DarkOwl57?

I don't know if they count or not, but I've been playing around with them, and they're not that easy to maneuver... if someone can do this with them, I've give them kudos just because... :)

Edited by Just Jim

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I don't know if they count or not, but I've been playing around with them, and they're not that easy to maneuver... if someone can do this with them, I've give them props just because... :)

My solution so far is craptons of SAS wheel :P
v0voNJD.png

Oh, and jets for propulsion. So its more like a landspeeder thing from Star Wars I guess.

Though I guess it really behaves like a hovercraft. It will glide across the ground and not stop.

Edit: Went ahead anyways and finished! The time between checkpoints was maybe around 3 minutes, but more official scoring is to come. (and yes, I turned off jets during jumps... the big ones anyways.)

Edited by qzgy

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Results uploaded to appropriate thread. Time 22:03.
ZARjJ0D.png
This was so fun in this craft!

No wheels? .... not a legal entry

The rules of this race clearly say that you cannot have thrust from an engine if your craft leaves the ground

In the case of Val's Purple People Eater, I used boost flaps to block the thrust of the Juno's when it jumped into the air ... it's a rover race, not a Star Wars speeder race

12 hours ago, Samwise Potato said:

Well, if all this flying is within the rules, I'll definitely be designing a new vehicle. My original was built with minimal lifting surfaces and a jet engine that forced the front into the ground.

Flying is not allowed ... jumping, on the other hand, is highly encouraged 

Thing is when you become airborne then you must not have thrust from a jet engine propelling you (within reason)

If your craft is clearly flying then you aren't allowed to have thrust from an engine ... meaning if you launch into the air or are not touching the ground then no thrust is allowed

On 1/6/2018 at 3:42 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

In the case of Val's Purple People Eater, I used boost flaps to block the thrust of the Juno's when it jumped into the air ... it's a rover race, not a Star Wars speeder race

Flying is not allowed ... jumping, on the other hand, is highly encouraged 

Thing is when you become airborne then you must not have thrust from a jet engine propelling you (within reason)

If your craft is clearly flying then you aren't allowed to have thrust from an engine ... meaning if you launch into the air or are not touching the ground then no thrust is allowed

Counterpoint: unpowered flight is still flight. Gliders are aircraft after all.

Vehicles travelling more than a kilometre per jump seems excessive.

Either way, I'm planning something similar to my original vehicle, but turned up to 11.

Urmmmm, am I missing something here? I thought it was the Dakar, not the Red Bull Air Race.....

May decline to enter now as it doesnt feel like a level playing field....

EDIT.....I dont mind losing....winning was never an option but this is like putting a VW Camper alongside a MIG......

Edited by maceemiller
Bewildered

9 hours ago, Samwise Potato said:

Counterpoint: unpowered flight is still flight. Gliders are aircraft after all.

Vehicles travelling more than a kilometre per jump seems excessive.

You're counterpoint doesn't trump the rules (and the same rules were in last years Dakar)

From the OP You can use electric, jet engines, both if you like but no flying (that also means don't use jet engines while jumping).

1 hour ago, maceemiller said:

Urmmmm, am I missing something here? I thought it was the Dakar, not the Red Bull Air Race.....

May decline to enter now as it doesnt feel like a level playing field....

EDIT.....I dont mind losing....winning was never an option but this is like putting a VW Camper alongside a MIG......

There are always 2 or 3 people who try to subvert the rules of a challenge :wink: ... Last year there were a few and we hashed out the rules which are fairly basic (and even then there were those who didn't want to follow the rules ... put them on the Kiddies Table scoreboard)

Must be a rover .... if it doesn't have wheels then it isn't a rover
You can use jet engines as your mode of providing thrust .... Just no thrust while airborne (within reason ... if you launch up in the air either shut off your engines or trigger your boost flaps to block the thrust)
Jumps are not only allowed but encouraged ... just be aware that while in the air you are losing potential speed (an airborne vehicle is slower than one on the ground due to the grounded craft being allowed to have thrust)

The idea of the Kerbal Dakar is to just finish and have fun doing it ... basically can you make a rover that will survive the course?

You aren't necessarily competing against other people, more against yourself in the sense of can you do it?

You should enter, don't let a few salty fish get in your way of having a ton of fun (cause it is a whole hell of a lot of fun :wink:)

20 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Must be a rover .... if it doesn't have wheels then it isn't a rover

Hey, I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded like I was implying anti-gravs were allowed... I wasn't. I totally agree this is a rover challenge, wheels only.

And one of these days, when I'm taking a break from Emiko, I plan on giving it a shot... :cool:

Stage 2 complete (56:22-44:05= 12:17) with 1 rollover. I may have designed around being able to roll back onto my wheels in a second. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLW9pOWNvdmdiY28

edit: problem! During recharging in the service plane, the rover was attacked by the Kraken and appears to be split in half, while still regestering as one craft. I tried going back to the center and then back to the craft, and the plane broke, but the rover is still undecided on wether or not it wants to split. Reloaded it again, and it’s back in one piece, upside down, with the plane still crashed... I guess my problem fixed itself:P. Be warned, attaching by multiple kalws is glitchy. 

Note. The edit was written as I went. I thought the rover was truly broken for a little bit. 

Edited by 53miner53
Problem!

So, im back in.....all wheels only style :)

Built myself a real ugly rover which runs only on electricity yet looks are not everything, so im told........ :wink:

11th of January ....... entering a test rally.......

.....I will complete the challenge before 1st February ......

Edited by maceemiller
Language

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.