2018 Kerbal Dakar Results Thread

DarkOwl57

This is the place to upload and discuss your results for the Kerbal Dakar 2018.

Please keep this thread clean from smalltalk since this is the place for me to do the judging thingy.

Some pointers,

- Put up a screenshot showing your vehicle.

- Use the spoiler function to show us your 14 or more screenshots.

- give some information about your propulsion, mods used etc.

Example post:

j9WB8yu.png

A stock vehicle using solar powered batteries.

Spoiler

Stage 1

So I forgot to change target to surface setting, showing me the distance and not the speed that should say 0.0 m/s. But you can clearly see the brakes are on. &)

Start:

EVGUaSx.png

Finish:

iw1GoJu.png

Time = 00.15.16

Stage 2

Start:

dttMkzM.png

Finish:

UCCrZOn.png

Time = 00.14.10

Stage 3

Start:

2GAWsds.png

Finish:

O6c8Pt9.png

Time = 00.21.30

Stage 4

Start:

SBZj3CD.png

Finish:

L2Y8QPw.png

Time = 00.18.12

Stage 5

Start:

MyLVG9h.png

Finish:

cTYXGK3.png

Time = 00.18.17

Stage 6

Start:

pSIZje9.png

Finish:

2SW1n5J.png

Time = 00.16.27

Stage 7

Start:

hgKjzUE.png

Finish:

w9qCNLs.png

Time = 00.17.27

Total time: = 02.01.19 (2 hours, 1 minute and 19 seconds)

Total time: = 02.01.19

Use this template to make my life easier, happy new year, Dark.:P 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HLqoB0FbCgoU8gMUhah6yAKkQvrX6Ks8tVuLOfyhfks/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by DarkOwl57

• 2 weeks later...

PzET3Hk.jpg

Jeb proudly shows off "Da Car," his ride of choice for Flag Ramming Dakar 2018. Capable of speeds up to 50 m/s on electric power alone, the powerful jet engine pushes this vehicle to the edge of control, and keeps speeds high even when driving up steep inclines. Jeb pushed Da Car to 180 m/s in the sprint portion of stage 1 before he had to start braking, and Da Car still had more speed to give.

Spoiler

Stage 1

Start:

QJiXDD8.jpg

Finish:

QnvUB5g.jpg

Time = 00:08:47

Stage 2

Start:

AiBuM3x.jpg

Finish:

lij6vP2.jpg

Time = 00:10:49

Stage 3

Start:

FxFHnfm.jpg

Finish:

rhChFrc.jpg

Time = 00:10:59

Stage 4

Start:

fbbYA1d.jpg

Finish:

9rpmzN9.jpg

Time = 00:11:14

Stage 5

Start:

WdicfJW.jpg

Finish:

hKONZ1Y.jpg

Time = 00:10:27

Stage 6

Start:

YjJAOmx.jpg

Finish:

ZxzUJZB.jpg

Time = 00:09:47

Stage 7

Start:

AbRr6Ge.jpg

Finish:

ArXWlTc.jpg

Time = 00:08:39

Complete

mJy9zqg.jpg

Team Tater poses for a team photo to celebrate the completion of Dakar 2018. In the supply crawler, Bill and Val cheer for our intrepid driver, Jeb, who looks happy but a bit stunned after all that speed and a number of near-misses with the dreaded Kraken.

Total time = 01:10:42 (1 hour, 10 minutes, and 42 seconds)

Total time = 01:10:42

Edited by Samwise Potato

xKMOBUT.jpg

"The Jiggler" is a strange looking Propeller-Boat-Car thingy that gets its name from a habit of starting to shake after long periods of driving(some weird bug). It can reconnect the propeller with a claw, so it doesn't fly away when time is warped. A slight variation of this beast has been driven around Eve, but it has never experienced Kerbin mountains, until now. Some very sharp mountains caused an adrenaline rush but Jeb didn't even need to touch the brakes - turning rotor torque off before jumps was enough to slow down and not crash on landing.

Top speed: ~100m/s(land), ~50m/s(water), Weight: ~7.7t (propeller: ~1.3t), Parts: 56 (propeller: 17), Crew capacity: 5

Spoiler

Stage 1

Start:

GGgFB4D.jpg

Finish:

XVisBDa.jpg

Time = 00:07:09

Stage 2

Start:

yVZWjd9.jpg

Finish:

lX4jXyy.jpg

Time = 00:07:59

Stage 3

Start:

tY8HqeK.jpg

Finish:

tnWWeDR.jpg

Time = 00:08:14

Stage 4

Start:

eKfHi8d.jpg

Finish:

V0TvX32.jpg

Time = 00:08:40

Stage 5

Start:

q23CYBt.jpg

Finish:

6Dp4iX9.jpg

Time = 00:09:02

Stage 6

Start:

Q39A7Lz.jpg

Finish:

sTUot18.jpg

Time = 00:07:33

Stage 7

Start:

EnfI5p2.jpg

Finish:

j6M9yqa.jpg

Time = 00:06:21

Everyone survived

qIhlsf3.jpg

None of the crew have spagettified but G-forces left them  with a dazed look. Jeb notes that propellers sure are crazy fun and maybe they should research those instead of boring old R.A.P.I.E.R. engines.

Total time: = 00.54.58 (54 minutes and 58 seconds)

Total time = 00:54:58

• 3 weeks later...

1st Entry? Apparently
As a note - Parking at the end of stages was sloppy. I have no proper wheels or fine propulsion. Getting to a stage was + or - 100m. Mostly offset it self I think. Also, jet engines were switched off during jumps. Not all the little ones I couldn't see, but I didn't exploit its high TWR.

DAKAR LS4.3
ZARjJ0D.png

Imgur link to results. https://imgur.com/a/pFLzV  (I could put it in a spoiler.... but like its nicely compiled there....)

Total Time - 22 min 3 seconds. Blitzing fast apparently.

Mods used - DCK, AP+, Tweakscale, and Kerbal Foundries. KER, Void, and Tac Fuel Balancer were also used to help during piloting (plus maybe some other visual/informational mods, but no MJ). EditorExtensionsRedux was also used to help design it.
Propulsion consists of 16 DCK Kitty Engines (or whatever the small panthers from DCK are) and 3 Wheesleys. Attitude was maintained by 48 1.25m SAS wheels.

Forgot to mention, this was done with high terrain detail.

Edited by qzgy

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

1st Entry? Apparently
As a note - Parking at the end of stages was sloppy. I have no proper wheels or fine propulsion. Getting to a stage was + or - 100m. Mostly offset it self I think. Also, jet engines were switched off during jumps. Not all the little ones I couldn't see, but I didn't exploit its high TWR.

DAKAR LS4.3
ZARjJ0D.png

Imgur link to results. https://imgur.com/a/pFLzV  (I could put it in a spoiler.... but like its nicely compiled there....)

Total Time - 22 min 3 seconds. Blitzing fast apparently.

Mods used - DCK, AP+, Tweakscale, and Kerbal Foundries. KER, Void, and Tac Fuel Balancer were also used to help during piloting (plus maybe some other visual/informational mods, but no MJ). EditorExtensionsRedux was also used to help design it.
Propulsion consists of 16 DCK Kitty Engines (or whatever the small panthers from DCK are) and 3 Wheesleys. Attitude was maintained by 48 1.25m SAS wheels.

Forgot to mention, this was done with high terrain detail.

Your craft doesn't have wheels and instead uses repulsor lifts so texhnically there is no way for you to complete the race without breaking the rules .... 

Namely the no flying rule ... if you're wheels, of which you have none, are off the ground then jet engine thrust is not allowed (within reason ... repulsor lifts are unreasonable in the context of a Dakar inspired race) ... your craft is levitating off the surface and not touching the ground which means you are not allowed to have any thrust from an engine 

Edited by DoctorDavinci

On 1/6/2018 at 2:56 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

Your craft doesn't have wheels and instead uses repulsor lifts so texhnically there is no way for you to complete the race without breaking the rules .... 

Namely the no flying rule ... if you're wheels, of which you have none, are off the ground then jet engine thrust is not allowed ... your craft is levitating off the surface and not touching the ground which means you are not allowed to have any thrust from an engine 

I'm aware it probably breaks the rules. However, if it does, it will be disqualified. But the question is does the repulsor count as lift cause it still needs the ground to work. I would prefer to defer that question to the maintainer/high judge of the challenge, which I did ask yesterday or so. If it is deemed illegal by him, it will be fine to disqualify it.

As a note, I did also turn off the engines when not directly "in contact" with the ground from repulsors.

Edited by qzgy

• 4 weeks later...

1st entry(I guess?). Changes from my failed attempt: moved the front elevons up a little bit, added a second pair of RTGs, and added an emergency parachute for when I go over a steep hill a little too fast. Lost the parachute during stage 4 though. :P 

pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLWFURnUyN0dKeDg

Stage 1: 10:15

stage 2: 22:50-11:46=11:04

stage 3: 48:10-34:50=13:20

stage 4: 1:43:30-1:33:04=10:26

stage 5: 1:54:19-1:43:51=10:28

stage 6: 2:04:31-1:55:09=9:22

stage 7: 5:42:15-5:34:29=7:46

total: 1:02:26!

Top speed: 70m/s in short bursts, 65 m/s sustained(KF wheels). 

Edited by 53miner53
Top speed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.