Mind = blown

Matuchkin

A random realisation that I had right now - I will be alive at a time when I could say the following:

a) "100 years ago, we landed men on the Moon"

b) "100 years ago, Metallica released Kill Em All and became a thrash hit"

c) "A century ago, Dream theater released Images and Words and Rage Against the Machine became popular"

d) "A century ago, the space shuttle program came to fruition. I witnessed it end, and remember that moment clearly."

c) "The F-15 Eagle is a very old plane, which is more than 100 years old and uses the primitive technology of that era."

d) "These century-old rock/metal bands that I mentioned earlier? I've seen them live in person!!!"

Wow. I will live to see the future.

Edited by Matuchkin

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

A random realisation that I had right now - I will be alive at a time when I could say the following:

c) "A century ago, Dream theater released Images and Words and Rage Against the Machine became popular"

d) "A century ago, the space shuttle program came to fruition. I witnessed it end, and remember that moment clearly."

c) "The F-15 Eagle is a very old plane, which is more than 100 years old and uses the primitive technology of that era."

d) "These century-old rock/metal bands that I mentioned earlier? I've seen them live in person!!!"

Amazing.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

Please don't remind me about the passage of time. I'm enjoying being young.

55 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Am I the only one here who wants to live as long as I want, be it a century or a million years?

You aren't alone. Most people regret living a long life because by the time you are 120 years old, all of your family is dead (expect grand and grandgrand kids). Also, you might not be able to do much at old age.

I want to live long but stay as fit is possible, so i can still be a fun person at that age, hanging out with kiddos of the future, telling them all about now.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

You aren't alone. Most people regret living a long life because by the time you are 120 years old, all of your family is dead (expect grand and grandgrand kids). Also, you might not be able to do much at old age.

I want to live long but stay as fit is possible, so i can still be a fun person at that age, hanging out with kiddos of the future, telling them all about now.

There are still many centenarians around who can easily walk, talk, whatever as if they are 70. Admittedly, seeing your family pass away has to be depressing, but there has to be a sense of accomplishment after such a long life which trumps any of that depression. After all, you're used to death by then.

9 hours ago, Nuke said:

entropy consumes all. get used to that fact.

"How old are you?"

"1-"

"What?"

"-times ten to the power of..."

17 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

And I will be dead as a doornail. But that is okay, I came to grips with my mortality a long time ago.

On 03/12/2017 at 11:42 PM, Matuchkin said:

this happen when ? when wut ? out of something ... argggg

On 12/3/2017 at 6:24 PM, Bill Phil said:

Well, I mean... there were people who were alive before WWI and were alive during the Moon landing. Imagine someone reading "From the Earth to the Moon" in the late 1800s only to witness it when they're much older.

My grandmother for one. Born in the 1880's, she thought the moon landings were pretty amazing. Then again, she said the sinking of the Titanic and Lusitania were a big deal at the time too... and all the wars, including the Spanish-American War, WWI, and WWII. She used to say mankind's greatest achievement was the electric light, and that its worst was the automobile... not because of pollution, but because it permitted and facilitated families in moving away and drifting apart. And while she thought telephones were good, she believed handwritten letters better (because one puts more careful thought into their statement when writing... a thing now all but a lost art), and face to face the best. I can tell you this... I know she'd have no appreciation for today's cellphones, or the internet.

I hope I live to see the day when people see violence and war as the tragedy it is, and not as some macho 'proving ground' where cool people get to tote around guns and live a life of adventure

But now that I've stopped homeschooling, I've realized that the current high school generation is still a fair bit off from that point

i think the way and livestyle people grow up and live their early/hottest parts of their lives tends to stick for the rest of their life in some people. There are still hippies from the 60s, enjoying their same life they did 50 years ago,

Can you imagine? 80 year olds dabbing with fidget spinners? And 70 year olds playing Minecraft, or maybe even KSP as the game of their childhood? Its weird but its going to happend.

Edited by NSEP

On 12/8/2017 at 5:52 PM, NSEP said:

i think the way and livestyle people grow up and live their early/hottest parts of their lives tends to stick for the rest of their life in some people. There are still hippies from the 60s, enjoying their same life they did 50 years ago,

Yup... :D

On 12/8/2017 at 3:52 PM, NSEP said:

Can you imagine? 80 year olds dabbing with fidget spinners? And 70 year olds playing Minecraft, or maybe even KSP as the game of their childhood? Its weird but its going to happend.

I saw an article online today about how some retirees are so intent on reliving their hippie days that they are buying and restoring 50-year-old VW vans. Which has lead to a bubble in the price of antique VW vans, some of which are now topping over $200,000 at auto auctions. The irony is overwhelming.

17 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

In 2117, people are going to think of 2017

If 2100 year humans will still have the same perception of time like we do.

When one plays a computer game, many days can pass for him/her in a day of real life. And vice versa, the time can stay frozen until the next game load.
When one looks historical reconstructions and reads, figurally, wikipedia, he/she has the thousands years ago events right at hands.

Maybe in 2100 the subjective time flow will become so uneven that they will just have no "past" and "future", just a time landscape available for changes in close proximity.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.