[WIP] Deep Space Surface Habitat Unit Pack - 1.10.1

bcink

Welcome to the development thread for the Deep Space Surface Habitat Unit!

ETkB4Oj.png

DSSHU Update 1.10.1 is now available for download!

This was inspired by NASA's ground-based Deep Space Habitat Demonstration Unit. 

Ufvzzbx.png

This pack consists of 3 deployable ground-based habitat units. All units have optional compatibility with Kerbal Inventory System, Tweakscale, Connected Living Space and your choice of life support mods; USI Life Support, TACLS or Snacks!

Individual habitat features:

Habitat Unit 1:
5m expanding habitat
Science laboratory
Functioning airlock
Side docking tube compatible with size 1 stock docking ports

WITH SNACKS:
Stores soil and snacks
WITH USI LIFE SUPPORTS:
Provides habitat function
WITH TACLS:
Contains standard array of life support resources

Habitat Unit 2:
5m expanding facility
Expanding solar array
Multi-mission RTG with radiators
Telescopic expanding radio tower
Side docking tube
Functioning door

WITH SNACKS:
Stores soil and snacks
WITH USI LIFE SUPPORT:
Contains life support recycler and fertilizer / ore resource converter.
WITH TACLS:
Contains standard array of life support resources

Habitat Unit 3:
5m expanding facility
Functioning greenhouse
Storage tanks
Side docking tube
Functioning door

WITH SNACKS:
Produces snacks
Stores soil and snacks
WITH USI LIFE SUPPORT:
Agroponics facility with mulch, supplies, fertilizer and storage
WITH TACLS:
Mimics SETI Greenhouse
Provides "nutrients" which handle resource management

There are no dependencies for this mod, but if you choose to use any of the included optional compatibility configurations, you will need to also install module manager.

There are no wheels on the bottoms of these units, so connecting them may end up being your least favorite part of these habitats. They have plenty of collision meshes, so you should have no problem using something like Konstruction with a forklift and shimmying the buildings into place. Alternatively, you may use something like VesselMover and simply position the building into place and it will dock accordingly.

Please do not keep anything attached to the upper or lower nodes when you "Deploy" it. It will explode. I have not added plugin compatibility for moving a connected node while animated.

Installation:

Extract the contents of the GameData folder into your Kerbal GameData directory. Structure should then read GameData\DSSHU

Optional mod compatibility patches included.

CHANGELOG:

Update 1.10.1
Re-compile for 1.10.1
Fixed hatches not working
Fixed generic interior space to reference the 3 capacity version and not the 1 capacity version

Update 1.8
Re-compile for 1.8
Connector hub now has 1x Crew Capacity

Update 1.4
Re-compile for 1.4
New part: 4-way hub/connector
USI Life Support Changes:
Unit 2 is now the habitat unit
Unit 1 is now the recycler

Revision 1.1
-Updated optional config patches to use NEEDS: syntax (they will now detect installed mods and apply config files as necessary) - This should allow for CKAN packaging / downloading
-Fixed Connected Living Space settings (buildings should now be passable)
-Added soil / snacks storage to HDU1 when using Snacks!

Download   lya77iI.png

SPECIAL THANKS TO @CobaltWolf and all the other mod devs and thank you for visiting!!!

Deep Space Surface Habitat Unit Pack is license CC-BY-4.0

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

Edited by bcink
Update 1.10.1

I don't think the animation actually played when I looked at this before, it is much more interesting when it moves! Those handrails really have a nice spring to them when they pop out.

Anyway sorry to double post, but I noticed you were soliciting suggestions, and this reminds me of some of the things I've seen @tater post on other threads. He might have some resources to help you on the details.

Edited by Nightside

Looks a bit like a cross between the HERA mission hab and the 2011 version of the deep space hab at Desert RATS, with a goodly pinch of Lego.

Are you going to keep the totally-not-an-airlock-hatch in bottom of the main module, seen on HERA and the DRATS hab? I think it'd fit with the typical ill-advised features of kerbal habitats. :D

7 hours ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

Looks a bit like a cross between the HERA mission hab and the 2011 version of the deep space hab at Desert RATS, with a goodly pinch of Lego.

Are you going to keep the totally-not-an-airlock-hatch in bottom of the main module, seen on HERA and the DRATS hab? I think it'd fit with the typical ill-advised features of kerbal habitats. :D

Yeah, I would like to. I tried modelling it "inset" into the main cylinder but ran in to some issues doing that. I'll end up just making it part of the texture instead of a popout I think.

3 hours ago, Mecripp said:
Looking great hope we get one with a green house on it also  :) 

Thanks! Really liking that idea... It's evolved into making the right-side cylinder (hygiene module in real-world) into a docking module, attaches to another structure which will be responsible for power, communications, food. Maybe this building can be a science lab / habitat. 

Some more work today included panel lines on airlock and right cylinder (docking tube) with normals, normals on the sliding doors, airlock doors on the sliding doors, the word airlock, text of emergency exit over central door, windows on docking tube, docking port looking-ish thing on the end of the docking tube, black and yellow warning stripes on the bottom portion.

06FQLyV.png

GXzjolF.png

21 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

There was another modder a while back doing something quite similar. I'm not sure whats going on with that. I think it's been on hold for like a year or so. Looking quite good.

Thank you!

Re-textured the main "box" the structure rests upon. Added an adapter looking texture portion to the bottom of the unit. Added texture to the feet. Added some warning lines to the floor on the interior of the structure (which will be seen for all of 3 seconds :) ) At this point texturing of this structure is pretty much complete. I'll probably configure a part file here soon and begin work on the second structure that it will hopefully be able to dock to.

K8RR2FZ.gif

Edited by bcink

2 hours ago, bcink said:

Thank you!

Re-textured the main "box" the structure rests upon. Added an adapter looking texture portion to the bottom of the unit. Added texture to the feet. Added some warning lines to the floor on the interior of the structure (which will be seen for all of 3 seconds :) ) At this point texturing of this structure is pretty much complete. I'll probably configure a part file here soon and begin work on the second structure that it will hopefully be able to dock to.

K8RR2FZ.gif

I approve of unnecessarily complex animations. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.