We Who Witnessed [Chapter XIII - "New Beginnings"]

Kerbinchaser

Chapter VII

"One Week Later"

Juliet strolled through the KSC with Darryl on an overcast but warm day. Every few minutes Kerbol peeked out from the clouds and made the sky shine bright with light, before hastily retreating back into the safety of the clouds. Both humans walked through the complex, which had an eerie feel on a day like today, especially since they were the only humans in sight. Most of the workers were Kerbals, with the occasional person doing engineering work or heavy lifting jobs. 

"Darryl," Juliet began, as they walked past the Astronaut Complex; "How well have you been coping with this stress of living on kerbin?"

Darryl chuckled. "I've been doing well. Kerbin is a beautiful planet, rich in life and culture. It is almost exactly the same as Earth. Have you heard some of the city and country names here?"

Jules shook her head. "No, I haven't heard any except for Kerbin City."

The man procured a book titled 'Kerbin Tourist Group.'
"here you go. Read this one: 'United Kerbal States,' 'Kashington D.C...' I mean, that's like Washington D.C but with a K! Everything here has a K!"

The blonde woman took the booklet and began to read. More familiar names began to pop up. Different names related to Earth began to emerge. Cities, countries, states, everything was starting to feel like a parallel universe.

Sitting down on a bench Juliet began thinking out-loud. "Well, what if we're in a dream? I mean, have you considered that?"

"You know, I've thought about it, and I guess it's possible, but there are two things that I think are wrong with that theory. First, if this was, is, a dream, why haven't we woken up yet? I've been here for almost three weeks. I've never had a dream this long. Second, we are both aware of ourselves and therefore, how would we be in a dream?"

"I don't want to get philosophical Darryl. Either we're dead and in a weird...Heaven, or we're alive in an alternate reality. Let's just try to adjust and live in this new life."

As Juliet said this, the ground began to shake tremendously, almost like an earthquake, but this one almost had a pattern to the vibrations. The tremors began to get stronger and stronger, a large spinning green circle appeared in the sky, growing larger and larger and spinning faster and faster. 

All eyes were aimed at the sky as soon as the anomaly appeared. Every single Kerbal and person in the KSC ran out of their buildings to view the portal. All at once items from Earth began coming down through the atmosphere. Small tools such as wrenches and hammers began falling out of the sky like heavy rain. After that came larger objects, such as cars. Many Kerbals were struck and died immediately, others were injured and still others ran for cover as fast as they could. 

After cars, came even bigger items until a transport ship fell from the vault and it slammed into the ground, throwing stones, dirt, and mud everywhere. After the ship settled, everything stopped, and the portal closed around all the debris.

Darryl looked up while shielding his eyes, glancing around to find Juliet, who was missing after the damage of the KSC.
"Juliet! Where are you? JULIET?" 

"Yeah, I'm..*Cough* here Darryl. I'm here."

Ash and paper fluttered around the two as they both surveyed their surroundings. Juliet realized she was pinned under a large piece of concrete from the Astronaut Complex. Darryl, however, was fine, lying sprawled on the asphalt trying to protect his skull. Kerbals were running everywhere, but others were injured by falling metal and stone. First responders ran everywhere, assisting to the wounded and trying to keep fires at bay. The astronaut complex was a mess, half caved in and burning. The VAB had also taken a hit by a falling helicopter, which rammed into the main door of the structure. the Tracking Station was the last building to be damaged, but only a glance. It had been hit by a bus in one of the radio telescopes. 

As Juiet slipped into unconsciousness, she saw a kerbal standing over her wearing a medical uniform. 

Darryl stood up and walked around, trying to find where Juliet had been hurt. Unable to find her, he briskly ran to an ambulance to be checked out. 

As he was loaded into a jump-seat to be transported to Tomford Memorial Hospital for observation, Darryl took note of how many objects had fallen from the sky. 
He asked the EMT a straightforward question before the group left.
"Has anything like this ever happened before?"

The Medic, even though he was busy, decided to answer while getting ready to leave.
"If you mean things falling out of the sky, no. We've only ever had people or objects in small quantities. Nothing on this scale. We're swamped with calls and injuries."

As the vehicle doors closed and the ambulance began on its way towards the trauma room, Darryl stared at the now smoking KSC, and began having second thoughts about her new life. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

1 minute ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

T H A N K  Y O U

H̶̦̤̖̟̭̹̥̬̙̼̳̮̗ͪ̆͐̄ͯ́̚͟͝Ȩ̦͕̻̩̰̳̩̜͕̳͌̅̍̆̏̈́̌ͩ́́͜Y̵̵̡̖̱͖̟͔̯̣̤̗̪̪̔͌̌ͬ̈̂ͦͯ̊̓͐͂͝ ̧͑̓ͭ̍̚҉̵̦̬̰͈̻̘̗͎̲͎̥͙̣͟͡T̨͚̫̤̗̜͈̯̃ͯ͆͑́͢͠ͅȞ̸̩̫̜̩̗͙̘̤̩͇̝͚̤̪͗̃̅ͦ̈́̇͐̔̉͐ͨ͋ͬ̆͂̃̀͢͞I̶͓̟̹̺̮̬͇̱̮̦͈̥̐ͯ̉̌̌ͥ͑ͤ̚͜͝ͅS̵ͥ̓̀̀̌̈̉̅͒ͬ̾̈͆͋͒͗̒̕͏̶̢̗̦̣̟̪͓̣̖̹̝̗̹̠̲ ̮̰͚̪͕̙̙̻̳̼ͧ̾̔ͧ͊ͯͥ̐͌͛̐͛̇̓ͪ̕͟I̧̾̃ͬ̎̑ͫ̆ͫͩ͗̆̊ͧ̃̐̐ͭ̕͏̣̭̫̘͎͕̩S̵̢̡̲͖͉̮͙͚̞͕͍̘̺̙̖̬̩̹͕͕͐̏ͦͫ̑ ̸̷̗̞̤̯͇͎̥̞̺̮͈̫̻̞̾ͪ͌ͦ͒̔́͘ͅP̴̧̧͈̯͉̱̘͔͖͈̾̃̿͑͂̚R̷̶̃̀ͪ̐ͯ҉̴̺̻͔̫̹͙̭̘͖̩͚̤̩̙̗̣̲È̪̳̙̝͔̯͓͉̪̮̝̙̦͎̳̲̝̗̆͊̅͂͑̋̉ͨ̀̕̕T̡̿̔̎̅̎͐͛҉̬̦͎̗̗̝̱̪͉̻͚̱̮͖ͅŢ̴̢̡̥̦̤̪̜͈̳̫͈̪̠̦̱̾ͣ̐̉ͮ̔͐͂̽͂̋͌͆̑͑ͧ̔ͥ͘Yͣ̐͂̅͗ͥͤ̉ͬ̚͟҉̖̠͚͓̹̯̬̜͈̳͍̖͔̮ ̦̗̭̻̰̤̜͔̝͙̖̺̥̩͇̺͖̆ͮ̅͆̍͊ͧͧ̌ͫ̽ͦ̿̌ͭͣ͢͟͝ͅC̵̨̡̪͉̹̲̦͓͓͚̼͉͐ͮͨ̎̄̃̈͋ͩ͐̐̇̔ͪ͛͜͢O̴̺͕̫͉̲ͫͭͦ̄͘͟͞O̸͙̞͍̘̞͙̭̲ͬͦ͌ͬ͒͋ͯͬ̇̂̃̒̚͟L̡͎̳̮̥̱̀̊̂̀ͮ͘͝

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:
H̶̦̤̖̟̭̹̥̬̙̼̳̮̗ͪ̆͐̄ͯ́̚͟͝Ȩ̦͕̻̩̰̳̩̜͕̳͌̅̍̆̏̈́̌ͩ́́͜Y̵̵̡̖̱͖̟͔̯̣̤̗̪̪̔͌̌ͬ̈̂ͦͯ̊̓͐͂͝ ̧͑̓ͭ̍̚҉̵̦̬̰͈̻̘̗͎̲͎̥͙̣͟͡T̨͚̫̤̗̜͈̯̃ͯ͆͑́͢͠ͅȞ̸̩̫̜̩̗͙̘̤̩͇̝͚̤̪͗̃̅ͦ̈́̇͐̔̉͐ͨ͋ͬ̆͂̃̀͢͞I̶͓̟̹̺̮̬͇̱̮̦͈̥̐ͯ̉̌̌ͥ͑ͤ̚͜͝ͅS̵ͥ̓̀̀̌̈̉̅͒ͬ̾̈͆͋͒͗̒̕͏̶̢̗̦̣̟̪͓̣̖̹̝̗̹̠̲ ̮̰͚̪͕̙̙̻̳̼ͧ̾̔ͧ͊ͯͥ̐͌͛̐͛̇̓ͪ̕͟I̧̾̃ͬ̎̑ͫ̆ͫͩ͗̆̊ͧ̃̐̐ͭ̕͏̣̭̫̘͎͕̩S̵̢̡̲͖͉̮͙͚̞͕͍̘̺̙̖̬̩̹͕͕͐̏ͦͫ̑ ̸̷̗̞̤̯͇͎̥̞̺̮͈̫̻̞̾ͪ͌ͦ͒̔́͘ͅP̴̧̧͈̯͉̱̘͔͖͈̾̃̿͑͂̚R̷̶̃̀ͪ̐ͯ҉̴̺̻͔̫̹͙̭̘͖̩͚̤̩̙̗̣̲È̪̳̙̝͔̯͓͉̪̮̝̙̦͎̳̲̝̗̆͊̅͂͑̋̉ͨ̀̕̕T̡̿̔̎̅̎͐͛҉̬̦͎̗̗̝̱̪͉̻͚̱̮͖ͅŢ̴̢̡̥̦̤̪̜͈̳̫͈̪̠̦̱̾ͣ̐̉ͮ̔͐͂̽͂̋͌͆̑͑ͧ̔ͥ͘Yͣ̐͂̅͗ͥͤ̉ͬ̚͟҉̖̠͚͓̹̯̬̜͈̳͍̖͔̮ ̦̗̭̻̰̤̜͔̝͙̖̺̥̩͇̺͖̆ͮ̅͆̍͊ͧͧ̌ͫ̽ͦ̿̌ͭͣ͢͟͝ͅC̵̨̡̪͉̹̲̦͓͓͚̼͉͐ͮͨ̎̄̃̈͋ͩ͐̐̇̔ͪ͛͜͢O̴̺͕̫͉̲ͫͭͦ̄͘͟͞O̸͙̞͍̘̞͙̭̲ͬͦ͌ͬ͒͋ͯͬ̇̂̃̒̚͟L̡͎̳̮̥̱̀̊̂̀ͮ͘͝

I don't know what that is because my 5120x2880 resolution screen couldn't load the whole thing. Is it a code from space or something? O_o

Chapter VIII

"Aftermath"

Today was a perfect day to be a human. The sun was just cresting the horizon, blanketing the cool Kansas field in bright rays of light. Birds chirped and roosters crowed as the countryside warmed up on the beautiful cloudless morning. 

Nearby, in an old farm house dating from the early 1800s, a dog napped on the porch, his tail slowly hitting the wood every few seconds. As the bright star got higher and hotter, the porch door opened, and an elderly man with a shotgun appeared, dressed in camouflage pants and an undershirt. Dripping with sweat, the gentleman thumped down the stairs and onto the cracked dirt of his lawn. Rain had not come recently, therefore making the ground split into little pits, and killing crops. It had taken a toll on the economy, and now the sun seemed hotter than ever. He checked the mercury thermometer hanging on his door-post. It had burst, breaking 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Hearing a thud behind him, the man turned around, surprised to find a bird lying on the ground breathing heavily. Beak open, wings out.

This unbearable temperature had affected most of the states & countries of the southern hemisphere. Texas was the hottest in the USA, hitting 134 degrees, killing more than 10 people. South of that it got even worse, with the hottest country award going to Nicaragua, hitting 135.4 degrees Fahrenheit. It killed less people, but was still devastating.

The man may hunt, but he had a sweet-spot for animals when he didn't need food. Scooping the little finch up in his arms, he brought it inside and put it in front of his table fan. Sighing, he sat down in a chair, but while he enjoyed the cool of the fan he heard a loud bang from outside. Grabbing his rifle again, he dashed outside and found one of the tires on his F-150 truck burst, the smell of hot rubber in the air. Scratching his head, the gentleman, who was named Michael, began hearing a very loud droning sound. Glancing up he saw an immense spinning green portal in the sky, getting louder and more high-pitched until it became un-bearable. As the farmer covered his ears and dropped his gun, his dog began to whine and flail about on the porch, the noise now becoming painful. Michael felt his ears burst, and almost all sound disappeared. He could only feel the strong vibration, that was almost like an earthquake. Different things from his farm started getting sucked into the gateway. It was like all gravity had been changed into the spinning portal, uprooting trees, pulling hay bales, and ripping the siding from his house. Next came small animals, such as birds and squirrels. Next came loose grass and stones, literally stripping his lawn clean. Grabbing the wood post that held his house up over his balcony, Michael held on for dear life, his dog pressed up against the wall from the gravitational pull.

Then, as suddenly as it had started, everything fell silent, and the air suddenly felt very cold, dropping 40 degrees in less than a 10 seconds, making Michael fall to the ground with the sudden drop of temperature and the "UFO" sighting. Bolting back into his kitchen, he grabbed the phone and dialed the National Geospatial Agency and the NSA. He also posted security feed on Facebook, hoping to get an answer to this strange phenomenon. To his surprise, many other people had seen the same thing. There were sightings all over the United States and part of Canada, but nothing across either ocean. However, there had been a portal as far north as Alaska, begging questions if this was a military act. The US Government readily prepared for war, but with no country taking the responsibility, the US could do nothing but watch as their citizens  were sucked into these strange glowing rings. So far over 2,000 people had been reported missing. Only a small dent in the USA's 325 million population, but still shocking as many of these missing people were minors, scaring parents and government officials. A state of emergency was issued for the entire Continental US, and the National Guard was made ready for deployment.

"Kerbin"

Back in the KSC, Juliet sat in the hospital bed barely large enough for her and read a book while sipping a fruity drink made from a plant that grew only on Kerbin. It had a taste like a cross between a mango and a banana. "Strange taste," she figured, "but I like it." Juliet leaned forward, looking out the window at the smoking Astronaut Complex. The fire had been put out, but Kerbonauts were still missing, including Bill, Jebediah's closest friend, besides the late Valentina. Jeb knew he couldn't lose another friend, so he was out in the rubble, wearing a dust mask and red rescuer's uniform looking for his fellow Kerbals. Darryl and Jack were the only two humans who also volunteered to help, and even though Darryl had a few cuts he insisted on helping. Juliet watched them from her perch through binoculars. 
Juliet had sustained a few broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a bad concussion, but she would be alright. It was a pain for her to even sit up though, and she propped herself up dwith some pillows to sketch the scene. 

In the hot charred mess that used to be Jebediah's home, Darryl crawled through the half-exposed room that was once his apartment. Jack was below him, on the first floor, but Darryl could see straight through the exposed floorboards to the first floor.

"Hey Jack..."

"mm?"

"Do you think it was fate that the portal opened here? I mean, an entire planet, and only this building gets hit. I mean, I know these 'portals' have opened up elsewhere, but this was the first to cause significant damage, right?"

Jack rubbed his chin. "Yeah. You're right. I mean, one time this random car crushed a gas station, but that's about it. This destruction is too much. Most damage we've had since that tropical storm hit us. This will take months, even years to rebuild."

Jebediah came up behind jack and took off his mask. 
"None of us have found Bill yet. Sadly, there are more casualties then we can count. We've only pulled three Kerbals alive from the rubble. It's a mess. there were some injuries elsewhere too. The VAB got slammed with a piece of debris and it collapsed part of the main door. No one is missing, but one of the mechanics on the build-floor got a nasty gash."

Jack stretched and exhaled. "Yeah, I have to admit... It looks bad. But remember that rookie who crashed his plane into that satellite dish? We have had accidents in the past. This might be worse, but we can recover from this."

Darryl removed his glasses and wiped them on his dust-covered jacket. Looking up, he couldn't see the blue sky. The entire KSC was blanketed in a think layer of smoke that blocked out the sun and caused lungs to fill with particles. It was a miserable place to be, and it was taking a toll on the rescuers. They had been working for two days, and had only found a few Kerbals still breathing. So far 77 Kerbals had been reported KIA, the most deaths in KSC history.

It would be a long time until the KSC recovered. 

• 2 weeks later...

O. M. GOSH. This is likely my FAVS Human-Kerbal krossover story I HAVE SEEN. First time I read it, didn't follow, but now...

Wow.

Love it, hoping we keep going! 

On 9/29/2018 at 2:21 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

but still shocking as many of these missing people were minors

oof. Glad wasn't one. Although... I think it would be fun to explore an alien solar system... at least, if I could ferry between the 2 worlds.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:42 AM, HansonKerman said:

O. M. GOSH. This is likely my FAVS Human-Kerbal krossover story I HAVE SEEN. First time I read it, didn't follow, but now...

Wow.

Love it, hoping we keep going! 

oof. Glad wasn't one. Although... I think it would be fun to explore an alien solar system... at least, if I could ferry between the 2 worlds.

Haha! Glad you're enjoying it! I'll try to keep it updated, but I have been REALLY busy recently, and I don't have much time for the interwebs anymore. Thank you for the feedback and support! :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter IX

"USS James E. Williams, Kerbal Ocean, 09:30 Hours"

The wind picked up as Kerbol rose over the ocean, making the waves glint with the warm light. 150 miles off the coast of the KSC sat a vessel, waves slowly lapping at the bow as it sat at rest. A man leaned over the railing, watching the swell with wonder. "The ocean is so beautiful in the morning," he thought.
"At least not like last night." However, the sound of the Bosun's call brought him back to his job, and straightening his uniform coat, he briskly returned to the bridge."

"Helmsman on the bridge!" 
"Aye!"

Saluting to the men inside the pilothouse he continued to the open 'spotting deck' outside the small enclosure. Procuring some binoculars, he began to scan the horizon. It was a pristine day, with Kerbol now rising in the distance, heating Lieutenant Commander Carson's cheek. Through his binoculars, he saw a small column of smoke in the distance. He quickly opened the door to the bridge and called out "Smoke, bearing North by Northeast!"
"Aye! Starboard 30 degrees, bring us up to all ahead flank!"
"Yes, sir! Starboard 30, all ahead flank!"

Two long blasts on the horn of the Destroyer indicated she was about to move.

"Weigh anchor. All crew in the mess to report to CIC."

"Aye, sir. Weigh anchor."

The large ship began to slowly move, with the hull creaking underwater. Little by little the USS James E. Williams set a course to intercept the smoke that Carson had noticed. 
"CO off the bridge."
"Aye!"

Carson dashed down the ladder, expertly maneuvering between the metal staircases. Seven years in the Navy had made Carson familiar with every aspect of his ship, including routes between decks. As he slipped below the main deck and entered the enclosed level, he slowed his pace to a quick walk as he proceeded toward the Combat Information Center. 

"CO on deck! Atten-hut!"

Carson saluted but then turned his attention to the Ensign on duty. 
"Morning ensign. Talk to me."
"Hello, sir. So far we've determined that it's a large vessel, over fifty feet in length. Might be a yacht or a container vessel?"
"It's a possibility, but don't rule out anything. Here, give me that phone."

The young officer handed Carson the ship's phone, and he gave orders briskly.
"All hands to general quarters. I repeat, all hands to general quarters."

Carson gave a half salute to the Ensign, and then he left CIC, making his way stern-side to the helipad. After many salutes and lots of other sailors running to battle stations, he quickly popped into navigation.
"How's it going boys?"
"Actually sir, not good. Come here and look at this."
Carson made his way to the young Petty Officer's chart. "Well? What is it?"
"That's the funny thing, sir. Sonar is giving us a completely different depth reading. Our charts say that we're in a different location. I don't know what to make of it."
Carson rubbed his chin and then said "As long as we don't run aground, we'll be fine. Just keep us from the coast."
"Yes, sir!"

Carson ran up the ladder to the helipad, where the SH-60 sat lashed to the deck. Both pilots were just putting on their helmets as the deck crew began unlatching the helicopter. From the stern bridge, the officer on duty watched the takeoff procedures with intent. 
Carson addressed the higher-ranking of the two pilots.
"Alright Jim, here's what I want you to do. There's smoke bearing away from us North by Northeast. I just want you to fly near there and see if you can make out what it is. Don't get too close. 
"You got it, Carson. We'll do what we can."

Three Marines came on the flight deck with combat gear on and boarded the Seahawk. After that Jim and his female co-pilot climbed into the cockpit and began spinning the blades. Soon the aircraft was airborne, and Carson returned to the pilothouse.

"SH-60 Seahawk, Kerbal Ocean, 11:00 Hours."

Jim scanned the ocean below for the spotted ship. The sound of helicopter blades made a steady hum as the helicopter flew low over the water. The trio of Marines behind him sat on the edge and held rifles against their chest. Soon, Jim's co-pilot was able to spot smoke ahead of them with binoculars. "Jim, there! At 1:00 low. You might want to gain some altitude."
"Right, up we go."

The aircraft shot up quickly and the Marines had to hold onto the side as the ocean got smaller and smaller. "Hey, slow down the ascent! You almost made us fall!"

The ship got closer and closer, and Jim's face dulled. "Abort, abort, abort!"
He swung the helicopter around and jammed the throttle to full. In the back, he heard grunts of falling soldiers.
"Hey, what the hell man!"

"This is Jim. Stop the vessel and wait for me. The vessel is a warship."
The marines glanced at each other and one of them slammed the bolt on his rifle, engaging a round.
"Then we'll blow 'em up."

Jim sighed and continued towards the helipad. His co-pilot stayed in constant communication with the Destroyer, making sure that the helipad was cleared for them to touchdown. As the wheels touched the deck, the Marines scrambled out and jokingly said that they were happy to see a solid surface again. Jim's co-pilot shutdown the rotors while Jim ran towards CIC. He met Jim in the hall, and they both discussed the course of action.
"It's a Destroyer, Carson. I've never seen one that looks like this. Doesn't look American, Russian, Chinese, British...You get the idea."
Carson adjusted his collar and the two officers walked into CIC, which was a hub of activity, with sailors talking

"Officers on deck! Atten-Hu.." He was interrupted by Jim. "At ease."

Carson once again talked to the young Ensign on duty. 
"We have a warship on scope. Not identified yet. We'll try to do that soon, but I need you to prepare a tomahawk and the main gun."
"Aye, sir. You have a bearing for us?"
Jim handed the officer a piece of paper.

Right in the middle of all this chaos, a Petty Officer dashed in holding a sea chart. "Sir! I have strange news."
Carson turned around, clearly frustrated. "Talk to me, sailor."

The young enlisted man cleared his throat. "I've never seen anything like this. It's like this part of the ocean doesn't...Exist. The depth readings and land masses here don't match up with anything else we have on record."

Carson nodded for Jim to come over. "Jim, do you think you could do a reconnaissance over this part of the water and see what you find? It shouldn't be too hard. 
"Yeah, you got it Carson."

As the Lt. Commander left CIC and pondered everything that had happened that day, he tried to clear his head, even though he knew the next day would be even harder. 

Chapter X

"UKSS Edlu Kerman, Kerbal Sea, 09:00 Hours"

As the vessel rocked in the calm sea, Gus Kerman sketched the nearby island from his position in the ship. He was trying to peer out of a porthole to get the best view, and even while the Cruiser bobbed in the waves, Gus's pencil moved swiftly over the paper. 

Just when he was finishing the details, red lights began to revolve and the familiar pre-recorded voice came over the PA.
"General quarters, general quarters. All Kerbals man your battle stations. General quarters, eneral quarters."

Gus grabbed his combat helmet and slung the life-vest over his shoulder. Dashing out of the mess he threw on his work cap and ran up the stairs towards the armory.  
Bumping into an enlisted sailor in the hallway, they exchanged a few words, Gus beginning the conversation. "Do you know why we are being called to GQ?"
"I heard some speculation that it's a ship from the rift, but I can't be sure. I need to get to CIC for my post. Good luck!" With that, the young seaman tapped Gus on the shoulder and continued down the corridor. Gus finished putting on his vest and came out on the deck, Kerbol bathing warm light across his face. The Cruiser was now under full engine, making the entire ship rock from the higher waves. Gus ran up another ladder, making his way to the bridge deck. Once there he proceeded to the open bridge, where he used the onboard spotter scopes to try and sight the enemy vessel. 

On the horizon was the outline of a warship, appearing to be a destroyer. However, it appeared much larger than the Kerbal ones, and it appeared to be manned by humans. Gus's theory was that it came out of the portal, and it was the only logical explanation he had. Gus grabbed for a mic and called down to fire control. "Enemy vessel spotted, bearing east by east. Approximate speed 25 knots. Gun elevation 30 degrees, horizontal rotation 78 degrees."
"Roger. Gun elevation 30 degrees, horizontal rotation 78 degrees, speed 25 knots."

Gus once again looked through the targeting scope at the ship, which was easier to see now. It was a human vessel all right, with crew members moving all around the deck. A speedboat was coming towards the Edlu with armed machine gunners. "Enemy boat, incoming! I can't tell the exact bearing."
"Yeah, we got him on scope. We're about to see what it's all about. 

"US Dinghy, Kerbal Sea, 11:30 Hours"

A dinghy had been dispatched from the James E Williams to investigate the vessel, and as it sped towards the Edlu, one of the marines on board turned towards the commanding officer.

"Holy Hell sir that's a cruiser. We might want to pul out of this. Like, now?"
The Ensign commanding the dinghy ordered for the boat to stop. Bobbing in the ocean with the American flag fluttering they were sitting ducks. 
"Sir, look at that flag. I've never seen anything like it." The insignia attached to the mast was one that none of the sailors on the boat had ever seen. No one knew what to make of it, and the Ensign didn't know what to do. The cruiser was looming almost in front of them, weapons trained on both the destroyer and the dinghy. The Edlu gave a long blast of the airhorn that deafened the men on board the assault craft, and they could hear sirens coming from the large ship. Now the sailors were close enough to hear the Edu's loudspeaker, which now came to life with a high-pitched voice.
"Put your weapons down and stop where you are. This is the Kerbal States Navy. Prepare to be boarded."

The officer in command shut down both engines and ordered all sailors to lower weapons. As the Edlu came aside, the crew of the dinghy got their first looks at Kerbals. Small and green, they looked like aliens from a Sci-Fi movie, but they spoke English, and the cruiser that they were on looked just like theirs. Everyone was stunned, but they had no choice but to comply with the orders because they had weapons trained on them. They came aboard the Edlu, looking strangely at all the nw shapes and faces. There was barely enough headroom for the humans, now aboard the smaller Kerbal vessel. 

A commanding officer of the Edlu came to the young Ensign and welcomed him aboard.
"Welcome to Kerbin men. Glad you could join us."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.