ability to have proper wing surfaces in game in place of the wing bords

As an aeronautical engineering student, I certainly find the wing boards not very realistic. However, from a gameplay perspective, they make the most sense.

Consider wing boards but as symmetrical aerofoils. How do you put them together? If I make a wing requiring several boards, it would look all wavy because of the fact that the thickness changes along the chord length. To correct this, we instead keep them as flat boards, although with rounded edges to make them look a bit better.

Things would get even more complicated with cambered aerofoils. An example of a similar issue is the old Mk.2 fuselage shape. It wasn't symmetrical across its cross-section for a very long time, up until Porkjet's parts were merged into the stock game. Until then, the parts were fatter on the top and rounder on the bottom. Sure, it might look more realistic, like an SR-71 Blackbird, but if you wanted a bomb bay, for example, you couldn't just use an inverted cargo bay, because the shape is wrong.

There are plenty of other issues with proper aerofoils and camber, but you can see how adding in more complicated, albeit more realistic geometry, can mess with the modularity required of KSP. I can't make a bigger wing for my aeroplane or spaceplane if the wings are all curvy like in real life. Sometimes realism has to be sacrificed for the sake of gameplay. Furthermore, KSP's aerodynamics model isn't complicated enough for aerofoils and camber effects to be computed effectively (that would be extremely intensive computation), so it's better if it ignores it.

In saying all of this, I have seen some very complicated designs for huge aircraft that use a large number of wing boards placed at various angles to create something that looks like an actual aerofoil. Take a look around, and I'm sure you can find some very creative uses of wing boards. :)

Thanks CommanderSmith 

That clears some things up all tho it would be nice when runing things like FAR ariospace  and when it comes out the new stelfe update for BD aromory

5 hours ago, CommanderSmith said:

As an aeronautical engineering student, I certainly find the wing boards not very realistic. However, from a gameplay perspective, they make the most sense.

Consider wing boards but as symmetrical aerofoils. How do you put them together? If I make a wing requiring several boards, it would look all wavy because of the fact that the thickness changes along the chord length. To correct this, we instead keep them as flat boards, although with rounded edges to make them look a bit better.

Things would get even more complicated with cambered aerofoils. An example of a similar issue is the old Mk.2 fuselage shape. It wasn't symmetrical across its cross-section for a very long time, up until Porkjet's parts were merged into the stock game. Until then, the parts were fatter on the top and rounder on the bottom. Sure, it might look more realistic, like an SR-71 Blackbird, but if you wanted a bomb bay, for example, you couldn't just use an inverted cargo bay, because the shape is wrong.

There are plenty of other issues with proper aerofoils and camber, but you can see how adding in more complicated, albeit more realistic geometry, can mess with the modularity required of KSP. I can't make a bigger wing for my aeroplane or spaceplane if the wings are all curvy like in real life. Sometimes realism has to be sacrificed for the sake of gameplay. Furthermore, KSP's aerodynamics model isn't complicated enough for aerofoils and camber effects to be computed effectively (that would be extremely intensive computation), so it's better if it ignores it.

In saying all of this, I have seen some very complicated designs for huge aircraft that use a large number of wing boards placed at various angles to create something that looks like an actual aerofoil. Take a look around, and I'm sure you can find some very creative uses of wing boards. :)

If we had wings that we could procedurally build from a single piece that would be a fantastic graphical nicety, but we don't. Instead we build our wings from blocks and other shapes which means the airfoil would be all over the place. Far better to have a flat delta wing made up of many individual parts than a delta wing with many individual airfoils made up of many individual parts.

On 05/12/2017 at 9:14 AM, Aotearoa said:

Thanks CommanderSmith 

That clears some things up all tho it would be nice when runing things like FAR ariospace  and when it comes out the new stelfe update for BD aromory

We have already release BDAc v1.0.0.0 'Under the Radar, Over the Horizon' which contains the stealth code

Here is the link to our thread: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.