The Flea Jump challenge (discussion thread)

This thread is meant to iron out any issues with a challenge idea that I've had for a little while now. I want to open the challenge soon... but since there are almost always questions and comments (I expect to overlook something), better first fix those before we get discussions and possibly disappointed participants. So, please comment, but don't submit yet.

How far can Jeb get with a Flea?

It's your first craft in any career game: a Kerbal strapped onto a Flea. Have you ever wondered how far such a plucky engine can travel? This is the continuation of an old challenge by @Jetski (found here), albeit with a few small changes in the rules.

laZ1tda.png

Get Jeb (or any other Kerbal) as far as possible using only 1 Flea rocket engine as means of propulsion. No other fuel tanks, engines or even RCS are allowed to be used on this challenge. Jeb also cannot push with his jetpack. You launch from the runway or the launchpad (up to you). We count only the "Ground Distance Covered" as counted by pressing F3 when the craft came to a full stop.

n9tj5J6.png

Scoring

Your score is your "Ground Distance Covered" after a safe landing on Kerbin in which the Kerbal survives the landing while still being inside his pod or seat. In the discussion, some brave engineer ( @HeroBrian_333 ) bragged that achieving orbit would be possible in this challenge... since we measure Ground Distance Covered after landing, it is strongly advised that the orbit is NOT stable (Pe < 70 km), so you can at least return to Kerbin, land, and read out the Ground Distance Covered. It's all still in the same category.

Mods

Because this challenge will depend a lot on balancing aerodynamics, mass and optionally lift, it will only be fair if we all use stock parts. Mods that enhance visuals are allowed, and so are mods that give useful data such as KER. MechJeb is not allowed, because while I am not sure it gives players any real benefits, I cannot see why you could possibly need it on such a simple mission. Regarding mods: It's stock parts, and stock flying (or driving/boating).

Rules

• Parts: All stock parts are allowed, except:
    • Decouplers cannot be used because some crazy people can fly using decouplers alone. That includes docking ports.
    • Launch Stability Enhancers (launch clamps) cannot be used because they can be abused to launch from hundreds of meters altitude.
  • Command seats: Allowed, but the craft that launches must be standing free on the launchpad or the runway, so and the pod which initially contained your Kerbal must be visible.
  • Kerbals: Your Kerbal must survive the landing at the end of the Flea Jump.
  • Craft integrity: It is acceptable if parts of the craft break upon landing. As long as the command pod or command seat survive, and the Kerbal is still inside it. If you use a command seat and your Kerbal is thrown out because of a violent landing, you need to retry because that disqualifies the attempt.
  • Electric propulsion: Obviously, electric propulsion is NOT allowed. I know helicopters and propeller planes are possible using stock parts. Kraken drives are also not allowed. This challenge is not where you can showcase these. Also, rover wheels with their engines turned on count as electric propulsion. If the engines are off, I see no objections.
  • Obviously, cheating (e.g. F12) and stuff like infinite fuel are not allowed.

Submission

At a bare minimum, a picture before launch with the Kerbal already inside the craft (in case you're using a command seat), a picture during flight, a picture after landing and coming to a full stop and a picture of the Flight Results. More elaborate submissions are of course welcome.

Design

The design is entirely free. This is the key part of the challenge. Use the VAB or SPH, use wings or not. You can even make a rover or a boat. Go fast and high, or low and slow. Rockets, planes and even rocket-assisted gliders are allowed. You can play with the setting of the Flea itself too.

Challenge opening and duration

I want to open the challenge some time this week (somewhere 6-8 Dec. 2017) for just 1 week. Maintaining a challenge for more than a week is just not possible for me (life gets busy).

So... Please comment!

I am curious if this challenge has already once existed Perhaps something very similar? It seems so obvious to do something like this, but I wasn't able to find it. (it has, found it, link included).

Also, if you can all be so kind as to try to find ways to cheat in this challenge, then I can add some rules to prevent cheating. I think that the spirit of the challenge is clear.

Edited by Magzimum

2 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Rover wheels!

Count as electric propulsion because they require electricity to run. However, you should also disqualify docking ports, as those can be used as decouplers. I bet I can get into orbit though using 1 flea engine as only means of propulsion.

8 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Rover wheels!

Thanks! Added to the rules.

5 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

However, you should also disqualify docking ports, as those can be used as decouplers.

Agreed. Thanks!

5 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

I bet I can get into orbit though using 1 flea engine as only means of propulsion.

Excellent! Then you have a good chance to win! Ground Distance Covered after a safe landing is still the way to score.

12 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Count as electric propulsion because they require electricity to run

7 hours ago, Magzimum said:

Thanks! Added to the rules.

Rover wheels do not use ec if the motors are turned off

I slapped some on a flea and was going to drive across the ground using the flea thrust as propulsion ... I guess thinking outside the box is not allowed 

Nice challenge idea but too restrictive for me, good luck

37 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I slapped some on a flea and was going to drive across the ground using the flea thrust as propulsion ... I guess thinking outside the box is not allowed 

Nice challenge idea but too restrictive for me, good luck

Try using landing gears.

10 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Try using landing gears.

Why would I do that only to have them break at speeds higher than 30m/s

Here is an example of what can be done using Juno's and no electric power to the rover wheels ... 140m/s anyone?

Switch from Juno power to Flea power and you get the idea .... I'm not interested in babysitting weak parts 

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

You're right. Rules are adjusted accordingly. Thanks for the tip (even though I don't fully understand the tone of the post, which seemed to judge something which is still a work in progress).

11 minutes ago, Magzimum said:

You're right. Rules are adjusted accordingly. Thanks for the tip (even though I don't fully understand the tone of the post, which seemed to judge something which is still a work in progress).

No offence was intended :)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

25 minutes ago, ShadowGoat said:

Wait wait wait... how the crud so we make a rover as stated in the rules if rover wheels are disallowed?

Rover wheels are only disallowed with engines turned on. With engines off, it's fine.

" Also, rover wheels with their engines turned on count as electric propulsion. If the engines are off, I see no objections. "