The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back (Modded Version)

The Modded K-Prize Party Thread

(With given permission from @boolybooly)

(Badge pending)

The K Prize challenge is to make the obvious craft, a spaceplane, and make it work. All those who succeed will be included on the roll of honour and get a free badge. To enter report relevant accomplishments on a mission which actually flew, your word is good enough but images and videos are welcome. It is encouraged to find any planet pack you can and find an SSTO that can go there. (Outer Planets Mod, Jungis, Xen's Planet Collection, Cyran)

Any KSP DLCs can be used.

Rules

1. The craft may not lose any parts in flight, no decoupling allowed.

2. The craft must lift off horizontally, reach orbit (PE > 70,000m) and land intact (on Kerbin) ready for 'refuelling'.

3. All fuel tanks, wings (ie lift generators & aerodynamic environments) and engine parts must be non-over powered or cheaty in spirit, for fairness.

4. Mods may be used, for both parts or destinations.

Provisos to rule 1.

A. Payloads may decouple from the craft providing all payload tanks are as full on decoupling as at launch and any thrust (or lift) generators on the payload were not used prior to decoupling.

B. Docking is permitted providing no fuel is transferred (net per fuel type) into the K-Prize craft and then used for propulsion (it can be transferred out). Crew transfers are permitted.

C. Mining and refining are permitted providing none of the resulting fuel product is used to drive the craft i.e. mined fuel is treated as payload only.

+Kudos

1. Smallest ship (by weight, weight info required). Minimalist record.

2. Largest ship (by weight, weight info required). Maximalist record.

3. Highest orbit beyond Eeloo. Altitudinalist record.

4. Landing on KSC terrain. Pilot proficiency medal.

5. Landing on any KSC runway or docking in orbit. Advanced pilot precision award (1stClass for both).

6. Visiting other SOIs. Kosmokerbal Commendation.

7. Planetoid landings. Astrokerbal Distinction.

8. Payload to orbit and mined product or fuel store to Kerbin from asteroid. Utilitarial Commendation.

9. Payload to distant planet's surface and mined product or fuel store to Kerbin from planet. Utilitarial Distinction.

10. Spaceplane is made 100% from stock parts and visits a modded planet Stock Distinction  

Prefixes: Exploratory applies to planetoid missions and Expeditionary applies to planetary lander missions outside Kerbin's sphere of influence. (Planets are defined as the central body in their own SOI within Kerbols SOI or gravity exceeding 0.75 of Kerbins.)

This challenge is an approved sister-challenge to the original, stock, K-Prize challenge and is meant to reflect it's criteria excluding the mod restrictions. Mods may be used but if they are deemed overpowered, they can be denied.

Future Thread Additions will include: A list of available planet packs

Roll of Honor 

@JacobJHC 

- Stock Thatmo SSTO (OPM) - Stock Distinction, Astrokerbal Distinction, Kosmokerbal Commendation, Advancer Pilot Precision Award

- Stock Trao SSTO (SPE) - Stock Distinction, Astrokerbal Distinction, Kosmokerbal Commendation

- Stock Asclepius SSTO (Asclepius) - Stock Distinction, Astrokerbal Distinction, Kosmokerbal Commendation

- @Laie 

- Bigwing Duna -  An awesome 4 Kerbal Duna SSTO -  Astrokerbal Distinction, Kosmokerbal Commendation, Advancer Pilot Precision Award

Edited by JacobJHC
edits

1 minute ago, DAL59 said:

First!

Interesting challenge.  I think I'll participate.  Though @Matt Lowne has already won all of them. :)

Yes, But has Matt Lowne used any planet packs besides Galileo? @Matt Lowne We summon thy, make an Outer Planets Mod SSTO, go to Thatmo.

Edited by JacobJHC

On 06/12/2017 at 7:56 PM, JacobJHC said:

- Stock Asclepius SSTO (Asclepius) - Stock Distinction, Astrokerbal Distinction, Kosmokerbal Commendation

Asclepius is much easier to make a mission to than a lot of stock planets, I think it's an odd system that any modded planet is automatically worth more than any stock planet. A Moho SSTO is way harder than most modded planets, for example. Eeloo isn't much easier either.

2 minutes ago, Matt Lowne said:

Asclepius is much easier to make a mission to than a lot of stock planets, I think it's an odd system that any modded planet is automatically worth more than any stock planet. A Moho SSTO is way harder than most modded planets, for example. Eeloo isn't much easier either.

The idea isn't to make it easier or more difficult, the intent is simply to add modded planets to the list of acceptable destinations a K-Prize challenge. The modded planets are not worth more, but quiet frankly, I feel that they are neglected as far as challenges goes, so I figured that making a challenge including them would do them some justice, as well as bring about some cool SSTOs.

• 3 weeks later...

BigWingDuna.jpg

@JacobJHC Sorry if I disappoint you, this is not a mod planet but merely boring old Duna. However, it's a mod vessel and I'd like to thank you for this alternative Kprize thread where I can show off.

I figured that if I really wanted to do a Duna-going flying wing, I needed a bigger wing. SXT not only has big wings, but also a neat 2-person cockpit (2t) that allows me to take the whole family without much fuss.

Full mission documentation is available as a 30MB zip file -- basically just a large picture dump. Given that my typical mission gallery gets like five views, I figured that it's not really worthwhile to sort out the screenshots and think of a byline for each one.

Craft file also available.

Spoiler
On 12/30/2017 at 4:04 PM, Laie said:

BigWingDuna.jpg

@JacobJHC Sorry if I disappoint you, this is not a mod planet but merely boring old Duna. However, it's a mod vessel and I'd like to thank you for this alternative Kprize thread where I can show off.

I figured that if I really wanted to do a Duna-going flying wing, I needed a bigger wing. SXT not only has big wings, but also a neat 2-person cockpit (2t) that allows me to take the whole family without much fuss.

Full mission documentation is available as a 30MB zip file -- basically just a large picture dump. Given that my typical mission gallery gets like five views, I figured that it's not really worthwhile to sort out the screenshots and think of a byline for each one.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:04 PM, Laie said:

Craft file also available.

@Laie  Well done, I am not disappointed in anyway. I like how you brought the 4 veteran Kerbals. Nice use of the Mun for gravity assists. Including the craft file was a nice touch. Welcome to the role of honor! Congratulations!

Edited by JacobJHC

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 8:22 AM, JMGKerman said:

Question. Does MechJeb fall under the category of OP mods?

Sorry for late reply, was moving so computer wasn't set up. Mechjeb should be fine. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.