MeepTicoMeep

POSSIBLE BUG: Plane turns left for no reason

Question

So I've been making random  airplanes but when I fly them they randomly turn (yaw) left when I am trying to take off. There are no aerodynamic errors and I'm not pressing A. Help

11 answers to this question

Pictures help. It might be a wheel setting or autostrut/clipping not playing nicely.

If it turns while on the runway it's probably because the wheels aren't perfectly straight. But sometimes I had issues with not enough intake air leading to uneven thrust from engines.

On 06/12/2017 at 9:39 PM, MeepTicoMeep said:

So I've been making random  airplanes but when I fly them they randomly turn (yaw) left when I am trying to take off. There are no aerodynamic errors and I'm not pressing A. Help

If you look at the controls indicators, does it show your controls yawing to the left, or do they stay centered and the craft turns on its own?

On 12/9/2017 at 3:28 PM, XMaramena said:

If you look at the controls indicators, does it show your controls yawing to the left, or do they stay centered and the craft turns on its own?

the indicators are centered and the craft turns on its own through as the craft accelerates it appears to be yawing left on the artificial horrizon. 

I  tested a pre-made plane that is in the game (the dove) and it also yawed left.

Edited by MeepTicoMeep

I've seen this behaviour with both FAR and Stock aerodynamics. I noticed it more on re-entry at a wild inclination, but I thought that was just me fighting the atmosphere as it rotated with the rest of Kerbin underneath my craft. Like a crosswind of sorts.

Question: Are you flying straight east or west while this happens, or some other direction? Is this more pronounced if travelling straight north or south? Does the craft yaw differently depending on which direction you're flying?

There is a very common problem with the default friction parameters of landing gear that causes this behaviour. To work around this, right-click your front landing gear, override the friction control* and set it to a value of ~0.2... this should fix your issues.

If not, please provide some screenshots or, better yet, a craft file :)

* You'll need to enable "advanced tweakables" in the main settings menu.

Edited by Yakuzi

On 12/6/2017 at 11:48 PM, Jas0n said:

I had issues with not enough intake air leading to uneven thrust from engines.

This.

11 hours ago, TheKorbinger said:

This.

Fellow doge! 

But if it happens with stock planes, insufficient intakes probably isn't the issue.

Having SAS turned on during takeoff can cause it too.  At least it has for me.

28 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Having SAS turned on during takeoff can cause it too.  At least it has for me.

Craft file? Never had this happen to me.

5 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

Craft file? Never had this happen to me.

I don't think I ever saved it.  May have been a fluke, but figured it didn't hurt to mention.