THIS IS PEGASUS: VOYAGE TO THE PLANETS(Chapter 4: Laythe)

DAL59

Based on a 13 year old BBC docudrama:

Wherner Kerman inspects the heatshield:

2lEtVnP.jpg

The massive craft was assembled in LKO via the Altftwelve Space Elevator. :)

This is Kegasus.

67 meters of nuclear space craft, an oasis of life in the vacumn of space all alone in the night.  Its a dangrous place, but its our last, best hope for peaace and 5 kerbals' homes for the next 610 days.  Because that's when the snacks run out.  

Kegasus, you are go for trans-Eve injection.

wU1s7Mw.jpg

4 periapsis kicks later, the ship escaped kerbin, though the navigation started glitching out.

Go1L6gD.png

What does that even mean???  We were on an escape trajectory a second ago!

Pegasus has lowered its orbit to intercept Eve, with plenty of fuel left.  

Technical stuff:

17,960 m/s of delta vee remain.  

Flightpath(subject to change):

Kerbin - Eve(probe) - Duna(manned)(Refuel at depot) - Jool - Tylo(Manned) -Vall (Manned) - Laythe(Probe)(Refuel at depot) - Eeloo(Manned) - Asteroid? - Kerbin

Mostly stock.  Only mods was near future construction(trusses)(should be stock), and of course, Near future propulsion, electric, and USI for the lithium tanks.  Landers are completely stock.

Edited by DAL59

17 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

making a huge 42m expandable heat shield for DSEV

Yes, that would be very helpful.  There's no way I can aerobrake with just the inflatable shield, which I've tried in a simulation.  I'm going to have to use some cheats for the Jool Aerobrake.  

DAY 280- Eve arrival

A few weeks earlier,l they had their solar periapsis.

VVQOHtr.png

Kerbol was bright, but not nearly as much as it would be once they slingshotted around it to go to Jool.

4eup9Qz.png

Eve, the most hostile planet, shrouded in thick clouds.  The surface would have to wait for the next mission...for Kerbals.  A probe, on the other hand,  might just work.  They had one in a cargo bay along with the laythe drone.   

FSNXEKw.png

Orbit insertion has to be started quite far out.

wUG3Bcg.jpg

T5Iv6wAw.png

Thanks @PeteTimesSix @RealTimeShepherd @linuxgurugamer for the vessel viewer mod!

Sunset on Eve.

Bd8rBdS.png

JFTxaWt.png

Stable orbit!

UxyXXeW.png

Its apoapsis, time to release the probe.  It has no propulsion, the plan is to have a kerbal push it retrograde and then return to the Kegasus.  

SnaBEmx.png

EKo1XiC.png

GFRxhYQ.png

The crew are shocked.  The seperation is too intense and the probe immediately explodes. 

They will stay for a week and then head out to Duna.  

But there is another option.  They also have a second probe, the Laythe drone.  Now, Eve has no oxygen, so it won't get very far.  So I'm going to ask you guys to decide- sacrifice the Laythe drone to briefly explore Eve, or save the drone for laythe?     

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Bummer on the probe separation malfunction :(   But OTOH, this doesn't detract from the sheer audacity of this project.  As we said in the Marine Corps, FIDO!  (**** It, Drive On!)

I didn't know they said that, heh! The rover in my K.E.E.P. story is named Fido...

I think It's just say, "Robots..." like they did in the series, and save the probe for Laythe.

YEAR ONE, DAY 24: DUNA ARRIVAL

fBl9WTK.png

The Duna lander is revealed.  Undocking is more violent than expected. Erite(geologist), Matt(Medic), and Newfrod(Mechanic) will land.

8NbOgFu.jpg

Deorbit

tUAQ5FB.png

1RTzKHF.jpg

PZO0uMo.jpg

K2rvIaF.jpg

oyGHmnL.jpg

ODnKkPU.jpg

Ladders out

iTaFb32.jpg

New Frod will be the third to set foot on Duna(an earlier zubrin-style mission took place, but left immediately after landing). 

qQxklox.jpg  

oM6i5mL.png

They don't have much in way of transportation.

VjU25y7.jpg

The pegasus crew checks for bad weather.

dZPzzSA.png

kD0VwjW.png

Night geology mission

ogTd2Tu.png

These rocks have colliders.  And there's water!

1YtTU8v.png

bccNBMq.png

Sunset

BPRcuqV.png

This mission stayed for 1 month.  

(Sorry ISS.  We spent all our funds on Kegasus, so we can't give you snack resupplies).

uFwbky3.jpg

Liftoff!

uYLMwkI.png

1sVBVka.png

Orbit insertion

WMPvAQu.png

QbhE4Bi.jpg

Meanwhile...

auHSPxY.png

A tanker will refuel the ship. Another tanker is in Laythe orbit.

wkD5CO8.png

Rendevous plotted

cJppBwy.png

Kegasus

M6ey2ty.png

Y79ogu9.jpg

Docking proved impossible, so EVA was needed.

0cLTvWp.png

Next, the Kegasus will use a technique called the oberth effect.  It will do an extremely low slingshot around Kerbol, then head out to Jool.  But that iss only the second most dangerous part of the mission...

Spoiler

Note: I used the cheat menu to get to Duna.  I had enough fuel and planned the maneuver, but my computer kept crashing during the hour long burns.  

10 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Hide contents

Note: I used the cheat menu to get to Duna.  I had enough fuel and planned the maneuver, but my computer kept crashing during the hour long burns.  

It sounds like you'll have issues every step of the way with your ion engine burns.  Have you tried https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154935-131-bettertimewarpcontinued-customizable-time-warp-and-lossless-physics-warp/

as a mod to assit this these?  It may be a game changer.

I really enjoyed the BBC series and look forward to this one from you!

Peace.

8 hours ago, theJesuit said:

It sounds like you'll have issues every step of the way with your ion engine burns.  Have you tried https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154935-131-bettertimewarpcontinued-customizable-time-warp-and-lossless-physics-warp/

as a mod to assit this these?  It may be a game changer.

I really enjoyed the BBC series and look forward to this one from you!

Peace.

With the amount of parts I have, physic warp makes the game run slower, and glitch out.  I might edit the config files to increase thrust.

• 1 month later...

uv9ryTg.png

Course to Jool plotted!

Trans Jool Injection:

deLdB8K.jpg

This far from the sun, the solar panels are useless, and so we jettison them.  One solar panel got stuck and will be removed via eva.

"Why am I going out alone?"

"Psych eval"

oyLO4kr.jpg

pBzRxdJ.jpg

"Okay, removing now.  Just like plucking the wings from a butterfly."

"Test results: your a terrible person.  Thats not even what we were testing for." https://youtu.be/Yy3dIicSI_0

JOOL ARRIVAL

fICilTq.png

Jool.

Closer

YKP7gXb.png

Reactors shut down, radiators retracted, heatshield inflated.

bcFr4Wx.png

8-10-13 gees!

gaNaff3.png

Welcome to Laythe!

7SDrUlR.png

dhMML52.png

The Kegasus is in an elliptical orbit of Laythe.  It will lower its periapsis, release its probe, and then get back into orbit.

H57kTFv.png

jl2ALb8.png

27cTLLQ.png

zrQ3ODT.png

The probe is practically uncontrollable.  The wings make no effect on its nosedive towards the ground at 100 m/s.  Splash. :(

KPnpUIY.png

Refueling in Laythe orbit:

evoJPHn.jpg

TarKJfi.jpg

We should go back there someday.  Next stop: Vall!  The manned Vall lander will be reused at Eeloo.  However, there is the risk of docking failure, like what happened at Duna.  So, should I land at Vall or save the lander for Eeloo only in case I can't redock?  I also have a tylo lander.  

On 12/15/2017 at 4:30 PM, DAL59 said:

The way I see it, if the Kraken starts gouging eyes and biting, you're free to match Its behavior.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:01 PM, DAL59 said:

Course to Jool plotted!

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get from Duna to Jool?   Was it about the same as going to Jool from Kerbin?

Test results: your a terrible person.  Thats not even what we were testing for.

LOL!   But on the pragmatic side, (most) butterflies can be considered as the final, gimpy, not-long-for-this-world, dying stage in the life of caterpillars.  The caterpillar stage is where these bugs spend the prime and majority of their days.  And (most) caterpillars are horrible pests.  So, pulling the wings off a butterfly can be considered both a fitting end to that individual caterpillar and also making the world a better place for everything else by aborting another spawn of caterpillars.  I don't think I'm a terrible person for thinking so, but that's mostly because I'm a terrible person for other reasons :)

The probe is practically uncontrollable.  The wings make no effect on its nosedive towards the ground at 100 m/s.  Splash. :(

Damn, that sucks.  That should have worked.

We should go back there someday.  Next stop: Vall!  The manned Vall lander will be reused at Eeloo.  However, there is the risk of docking failure, like what happened at Duna.  So, should I land at Vall or save the lander for Eeloo only in case I can't redock?  I also have a tylo lander.  

Hmmm, good question.  Why couldn't the Duna lander dock?

You seem to have KIS/KAS going on so if all else fails, you can probably snag the Vall lander that way and take it to Eeloo.

24 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

ou seem to have KIS/KAS going on so if all else fai

No, I don't have KAS.  Just some random mod that lets me delete parts, though I can't place new ones.  I don't know what it it called.

I will put up a poll for the next target.    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.