The Flea Jump Challenge

How far can Jeb get with a Flea?

It's your first craft in any career game: a Kerbal strapped onto a Flea. Have you ever wondered how far such a plucky engine can travel? This is the continuation of an old challenge by @Jetski (found here), albeit with a few small changes in the rules.

laZ1tda.png

Get Jeb (or any other Kerbal) as far as possible using only 1 Flea rocket engine as means of propulsion. No other fuel tanks, engines or even RCS are allowed to be used on this challenge. Jeb also cannot push with his jetpack. You launch from the runway or the launchpad (up to you). We count only the "Ground Distance Covered" as counted by pressing F3 when the craft came to a full stop.

n9tj5J6.png

Scoring

Your score is your "Ground Distance Covered" after a safe landing on Kerbin in which the Kerbal survives the landing while still being inside his pod or seat. In the discussion, someone bragged that achieving orbit would be possible in this challenge... since we measure Ground Distance Covered after landing, it is strongly advised that the orbit is NOT stable (Pe < 70 km), so you can at least return to Kerbin, land, and read out the Ground Distance Covered. It's all still in the same scoring, same category.

Mods

Because this challenge will depend a lot on balancing aerodynamics, mass and optionally lift, it will only be fair if we all use stock parts. Mods that enhance visuals are allowed, and so are mods that give useful data such as KER. MechJeb is not allowed, because while I am not sure it gives players any real benefits, I cannot see why you could possibly need it on such a simple mission. Regarding mods: It's stock parts, and stock flying (or driving/boating).

Rules

• Parts: All stock parts are allowed, except:
    • Decouplers cannot be used because some crazy people can fly using decouplers alone. That includes docking ports.
    • Launch Stability Enhancers (launch clamps) cannot be used because they can be abused to launch from hundreds of meters altitude.
  • Command seats: Allowed, but the craft that launches must be standing free on the launchpad or the runway, and the pod which initially contained your Kerbal must be visible.
  • Kerbals: Your Kerbal must survive the landing at the end of the Flea Jump.
  • Craft integrity: It is acceptable if parts of the craft break upon landing. As long as the command pod or command seat survive, and the Kerbal is still inside it. If you use a command seat and your Kerbal is thrown out because of a violent landing, you need to retry because that disqualifies the attempt.
  • Electric propulsion: Obviously, electric propulsion is NOT allowed. I know helicopters and propeller planes are possible using stock parts. Kraken drives are also not allowed. This challenge is not where you can showcase these. Also, rover wheels with their engines turned on count as electric propulsion. If the engines are off, I see no objections.
  • Obviously, cheating (e.g. F12) and stuff like infinite fuel are not allowed.

Submission

At a bare minimum, a picture before launch with the Kerbal already inside the craft (in case you're using a command seat), a picture during flight (preferably at the apoapsis of your jump), a picture after landing and coming to a full stop and a picture of the Flight Results. More elaborate submissions and videos are of course welcome.

Design

The design is entirely free. This is the key part of the challenge. Use the VAB or SPH, use wings or not. You can even make a rover or a boat. Go fast and high, or low and slow. Rockets, planes and even rocket-assisted gliders are allowed. You can play with the setting of the Flea itself too.

Challenge opening and duration

The challenge is closed... This challenge was open until December 14th, 18:00 UTC. Maintaining a challenge for more than a week is just not possible for me (life gets busy).

You are however free to post your attempts. We'll see how popular this remains. No promises, but updating the leaderboard is not too difficult either.

Leaderboard

1. @Marschig, with a command seat inside a fairing, and only a reaction wheel for control got to an almost unbelievable 371,825m !!
  2. @swjr-swis, with a glider with many many basic fins got to 138,133m.
  3. @qzgy, with a rather uncontrollable glider made of 26 basic fins which despite lack of control got to 92,030m.
  4. @Magzimum, with a glider that got to 84,782m.
  5. @James Kerman, with a glider with a command seat that got to 60,291m.
  6. @sevenperforce, with a glider that flew to 48,009m.
  7. @Pro100kerbonaut, with something in between a rocket and a glider, with 29,633m.
  8. @Andetch, with a two-seater that got to 26,116m.

Badge

Marschig gets to wear this badge, if desired:

zsRS2zl.png

Edited by Magzimum
Updating leaderboard & declaring a winner!

Here's my entry.

screenshot0.png

I use a decoupler to get the Kerbal out of the pod and into the command seat, but its force percent is set to 0 so it provides no impulse. Hopefully that's okay.

screenshot1.png

She's climbing in.

screenshot2.png

Decoupling doesn't move the plane.

screenshot3.png

Ignition!

screenshot5.png

Building speed.

screenshot6.png

Liftoff!

screenshot9.png

No yaw authority at all.

screenshot10.png

Fighting the canards a bit.

screenshot13.png

Setting pitch to maintain a nice even climb.

screenshot14.png

This looks to be about max range.

screenshot17.png

Splashdown at a ground distance of 29,654 meters, but I'm sure I can do a good bit better if I actually pay attention.

Andetch Jump 1

On 07/12/2017 at 12:46 PM, Magzimum said:

Rules

• Parts: All stock parts are allowed, except:
    • Decouplers cannot be used because some crazy people can fly using decouplers alone. That includes docking ports.

So, does this disqualify above entries that have used command seats and forbidden decouplers to get rid of a mk1 lander can? (can I disqualify opposition?*evil laugh) Personally, I think that even a decoupler set to zero can move the craft forwards, especially with the "jerk o'the krakken" effect that can be achieved by offsetting attachment points etc.

I am gonna play with my design and try and tune it, but not bad for a first attempt methinks?

Got a video of the flight. Will probably post if I can find the will to upload it.

https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/Jebs-Flea-Challenge

wbjnI0w.png

2Htaq8o.png

Edited by Andetch

1 hour ago, Andetch said:

So, does this disqualify above entries that have used command seats and forbidden decouplers to get rid of a mk1 lander can?

Yeah, but I had the decoupler set to 0 and waited a few seconds before launching.  It turns out there was an advantage in that configuration but it was the lander can providing a stable base and allowing the wings to be pushed back.  I had to add a second fin to keep the vessel upright and paid a bit of a drag penalty. 2nd attempt (legal, I hope):
rlZgk05.png
jZM4W1P.png
HYMdJgm.png
32r2jDy.png
7ALG3xZ.png
sj2fjyW.png

11 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Yeah, but I had the decoupler set to 0 and waited a few seconds before launching.  It turns out there was an advantage in that configuration but it was the lander can providing a stable base and allowing the wings to be pushed back.  I had to add a second fin to keep the vessel upright and paid a bit of a drag penalty. 2nd attempt (legal, I hope):

I am lovin the way that you have used a whole 2nd vehicle to load the pilot.That's cool man !

On 12/7/2017 at 6:43 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

Would Take Command be allowed?

It lets you launch a kerbal in a command chair 

I see no problem with that. So, yes, go ahead. I wasn't aware that mod existed... will get it myself some time soon!

On 12/7/2017 at 9:50 PM, sevenperforce said:

I use a decoupler to get the Kerbal out of the pod and into the command seat, but its force percent is set to 0 so it provides no impulse. Hopefully that's okay.

Decoupling doesn't move the plane.

Excellent. No problems with such use of decouplers. The plane that eventually launches has no decouplers, and the act of decoupling didn't move the plane by any significant distance.

14 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Yeah, but I had the decoupler set to 0 and waited a few seconds before launching.  It turns out there was an advantage in that configuration but it was the lander can providing a stable base and allowing the wings to be pushed back.  I had to add a second fin to keep the vessel upright and paid a bit of a drag penalty. 2nd attempt (legal, I hope).

I agree you gave yourself some unfair advantage in the 1st attempt. The 2nd looks all legal.

@invision, Great attempt. I am sure that if someone makes a Hammer Hop challenge, it will be accepted. Unfortunately, this is the Flea Jump, so using a Hammer engine will (no surprise) lead to disqualification. Congrats on the attempt though. :wink:

1 hour ago, Magzimum said:

I see no problem with that. So, yes, go ahead. I wasn't aware that mod existed... will get it myself some time soon!

Excellent. No problems with such use of decouplers. The plane that eventually launches has no decouplers, and the act of decoupling didn't move the plane by any significant distance.

I agree you gave yourself some unfair advantage in the 1st attempt. The 2nd looks all legal.

@invision, Great attempt. I am sure that if someone makes a Hammer Hop challenge, it will be accepted. Unfortunately, this is the Flea Jump, so using a Hammer engine will (no surprise) lead to disqualification. Congrats on the attempt though. :wink:

LOL this is why i shouldnt do challenges drunk...hold my beer

*cracks knuckles* HERE WE GO!!

Craft at launch. Using take command. I could have just as easily put a pod somewhere, but..... laziness ftw.

dUmWbtG.png

Spoiler

Launch. Using around 50% power. Was actually mildly uncontrollable, and should have used a lower power setting, but hey, what can you do?

GhbMDZ8.png

VXeSywt.png

SRB cutout, but still managed to gain altitude afterwards. This craft sucks to turn, as I only have 1 tiny reaction wheel for control. Light, but not so great at turning things.

MOXdXyF.png

MOIyuZZ.png

And now, we descend. This is gonna take a while. Descent was ~6-4 m/s vertical speed and ~45m/s horizontal speed. Here are some pretty pictures.

PTAEgTM.png

dgNMAET.png

vxNplx2.png

P6rV1fA.png

EUTHk9A.png

49NGywI.png

t88Wpgy.png

8FEPlEz.png

M1wopUW.png

And finished. BOOM.

rjC9Wgu.png

92030 m.

Edited by qzgy

10 hours ago, Marschig said:

371 825 m

ZQQmvxc.png

I believe we have a new leader for our challenge. Gonna be hard to top this. I'm actually surprised how high Marschig got with that Flea (nearly 32 km altitude vs. 6-8 km max altitude for other attempts)! I didn't know they had it in them!

@Marschig, Do you mind sharing the craft file? Just to ensure all is fair: the screenshot says that there are 12 parts, but I only see 10 in the picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.