More Female Defaults?

Would two new female veteran Kerbals to be released?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would two new female veteran Kerbals to be released?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but have them a the first in the astronaut complex hiring list

10 hours ago, XLjedi said:

If they do add 2 new females..   They would at least get pink suits, correct?

No... What would be the point? Valentina Kerman has an orange suit like the others. The kerbals at the beginning of the game have always had orange suits. Why would that change?

31 minutes ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

It adds sexual equality from the start.

It is game for kids or for feminists?

In real life you have this equality or there is a lot less women on ISS?

This doesn't answer my question, there no addition to game. Male and female are the same in game,  so this doesn't make sense. If you want more female, fine, but make them different than male. For example make female better scientists, but male better pilots, then it would make sense to have equal number of both genders.

Edited by Cassel

I already have a problem with Valentina's Orange suit because she isn't part of the Original trio. Kinda feels like she didn't earn it.

I wish there was a Dislike button for the Post above me though.

Edited by Canopus

17 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I already have a problem with Valentina's Orange suit because she isn't part of the Original trio.

She's not one of the originals because the devs didn't even add in female kerbals until 1.0 (at least, I think that's when they added them in, it was definitely a while ago). As soon as there were female kerbals, there was Valentina Kerman along with Jeb, Bill, and Bob.

I have to say I strongly agree with the second paragraph of your post though.

Honestly, I don't care one way or the other...

Except... if new veteran females are to be added, I would strongly recommend one of them be named Samantha, after astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti.

:)

16 hours ago, XLjedi said:

If they do add 2 new females..   They would at least get pink suits, correct?

Only my Emiko gets a pink suit!!!  hehehe

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

It is game for kids or for feminists?

Can't really say I'm either but somehow I'm still playing KSP. Be off with you, pesky false dichotomy - shoo!

In real life you have this equality or there is a lot less women on ISS?

Hmmm, I don't recall ever seeing a single kerbal on the ISS though. Perhaps KSP isn't real life and doesn't have to include the same historical baggage that real life space programs come with.

This doesn't answer my question, there no addition to game. Male and female are the same in game,  so this doesn't make sense. If you want more female, fine, but make them different than male. For example make female better scientists, but male better pilots, then it would make sense to have equal number of both genders

That makes zero sense from any perspective, gameplay or otherwise. It would however, be an excellent way of making a highly contentious mountain out of a small cosmetic molehill. I use cosmetic in a gameplay sense - in the same way that an open world RPG for example might include male and female avatars that are functionally identical so far as the game is concerned.

29 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I already have a problem with Valentina's Orange suit because she isn't part of the Original trio. Kinda feels like she didn't earn it.

Oh, please. The orange suits are a nod to the early days of KSP - nothing more, nothing less. You may as well get worried about Jeb not earning his Duna landing, because Duna wasn't in the first version of the game.

20 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

She's not one of the originals because the devs didn't even add in female kerbals until 1.0 (at least, I think that's when they added them in, it was definitely a while ago). As soon as there were female kerbals, there was Valentina Kerman along with Jeb, Bill, and Bob.

I have to say I strongly agree with the second paragraph of your post though.

The thing is though that after adding other Kerbals they gave them blue Jumpsuits to distinguish them from Bill Bob and Jeb and never added another orange one. So they always were for the original Guys. For me it felt wrong to give that honor to any other Kerbal.

1 minute ago, KSK said:

Oh, please. The orange suits are a nod to the early days of KSP - nothing more, nothing less. You may as well get worried about Jeb not earning his Duna landing, because Duna wasn't in the first version of the game.

More than a nod since even in the early game, after adding more Kerbals, they gave them different suits. 

3 minutes ago, Canopus said:

The thing is though that after adding other Kerbals they gave them blue Jumpsuits to distinguish them from Bill Bob and Jeb and never added another orange one. So they always were for the original Guys. For me it felt wrong to give that honor to any other Kerbal.

More than a nod since even in the early game, after adding more Kerbals, they gave them different suits. 

Well it wouldn't have been much of a nod to the early game otherwise would it?

4 minutes ago, KSK said:

Well it wouldn't have been much of a nod to the early game otherwise would it?

You know what i mean. They could have just randomized every Kerbal, but they decided to keep them and their suit Color.

If you want more Female Kerbals...hire more female Kerbals?

I'm not against all this sexual equality stuff but the original team is already kind of bloated at 4, we don't need 6.

Another point I'd like to raise is that we don't actually know if Kerbals have a sex or a gender. Valentina may be less an actual girl and more just a Kerbal who wears it's hair different and adopts different mannerisms.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

If you want more Female Kerbals...hire more female Kerbals?

I'm not against all this sexual equality stuff but the original team is already kind of bloated at 4, we don't need 6.

Another point I'd like to raise is that we don't actually know if Kerbals have a sex or a gender. Valentina may be less an actual girl and just a Kerbal who wears it's hair different and adopts different mannerisms.

Sorry but saying that you're not against gender inequality but you are against changing the status quo to make it more equal - is just lame.

And the 'we don't know know if Kerbals have gender' argument is equally lame. The short answer is 'no we don't because there's almost no official lore about the kerbals.'

The long answer is 'despite this lack of lore, kerbals are presented in-game as having a clearly human-male or human-female facial characteristics and given either clearly human-male and human-female names, or names drawn from two different pools of syllables to reflect the fact that there are two types of Kerbal. Therefore they are perceived as male and female.'

Not aiming this last comment at you specifically but every time this kind of thread crops up, I'm left wondering what would have happened if Squad had named the Original Three, Josephine, Barbara and Belinda?

We'll never know, but I'm prepared to bet a substantial amount of money that:

a) There would have been a large number of threads complaining about the lack of male named kerbals because real world astronauts are mostly men so KSP wasn't being 'realistic'.

b) That there would have very few to no protests about including more male named kerbals, or spurious appeals to the status quo (kerbals have always had female names - giving them male names too would be wrong), or appeals to non-human biology. (Hey maybe these kerbals just choose to wear short hair.) OK, that last one was aimed at you a bit - sorry.

46 minutes ago, KSK said:

Sorry but saying that you're not against gender inequality but you are against changing the status quo to make it more equal - is just lame.

Lame is talking some crazy-wing propaganda in a game about space and science. How desperately low must be the sense of value of people who turn their attention to such things in games?
How about tomb rider game with a male? Go on their forums with your "equality" propaganda :-)

This idea won't add anything into game, it is just to make some people feel better that their way of thinking is spreading.

Edited by Cassel

18 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Some confusing and off-topic posts have been removed to get the discussion back on-track. 

Cheers. Have a like :cool:

I was thinking, It could be an option in the difficulties menu. Choose which Kerbals you start with, if any

21 hours ago, FoxtrotUniform said:

Would it be a good idea to add a Female default scientist and engineer to make the game slightly more sexually equal?

Eh. No.

Spoiler

Image result for the lone ranger  Related image   

Image result for firefighter   No difference eh?

Edited by The Dunatian

24 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Lame is talking some crazy-wing propaganda in a game about space and science. How desperately low must be the sense of value of people who turn their attention to such things in games?

This idea won't add anything into game, it is just to make some people feel better that their way of thinking is spreading.

I disagree. I think that a (relatively) popular game about science and spaceflight is exactly the kind of forum where ideas on gender balance can make a difference. The more an idea permeates popular culture, the more likely it is to be seen as the new normal and popular culture is far more powerful in that respect than any number of well meaning policies.

So I'd say this is a topic worth paying attention to and doesn't reflect a low sense of self worth in anyone at all. If that makes me a crazy-wing propagandist, I'll own that title with pride.

50 minutes ago, Cassel said:

How about tomb rider game with a male? Go on their forums with your "equality" propaganda :-)

*Cough Cough* Hidden Figures *Cough*

19 minutes ago, KSK said:

I disagree. I think that a (relatively) popular game about science and spaceflight is exactly the kind of forum where ideas on gender balance can make a difference. The more an idea permeates popular culture, the more likely it is to be seen as the new normal and popular culture is far more powerful in that respect than any number of well meaning policies.

So I'd say this is a topic worth paying attention to and doesn't reflect a low sense of self worth in anyone at all. If that makes me a crazy-wing propagandist, I'll own that title with pride.

Of course you can disagree and go wear your titles with pride elsewhere.

It is annoying that one side can push theirs propaganda into anything tv, press, video games and say it is "equality", well it is not if you force other people to agree with you. If you want game with your view of equality go and create one, not everybody wants this stupidity in here.