The SPACE-BAR of death ...

Frag2000

I have always wanted a Molly Shield. The Molly Shield is that acrylic cover over the 'Big Red Button'. Supposedly, as the store goes, and it appear to be true, when I.B.M. was developing their IBM 4341 mainframe one of the programmer's toddler daughters managed to push the kill switch not just once but twice, shutting down the whole computer, in a single day. So, they put a shield over the button.

26657077838_18b99ea7a3_c.jpg

On 12/10/2017 at 11:48 AM, GoSlash27 said:

What @Kerbital said; go in the settings menu and change the keybinding to something you won't accidentally hit.

Best,
-Slashy

Can you bind it to [CRTL/SHIFT/MOD/Coke Bottle]+"/" or something?  If dropping things on the keyboard is an issue, hitting two buttons simultaneously shouldn't be a problem.

18 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

I have always wanted a Molly Shield. The Molly Shield is that acrylic cover over the 'Big Red Button'.

A friend of mine growing up had a dad who was the first computer science professor hired by the local university... I used to go over and marvel at their computer, which was an Apple II.   Not a IIe or II+... an honest-to-goodness II.  This guy knew and corresponded with Jobs and Wozniak... anyway, the problem was that hitting the Escape key cleared the memory, and it was located right next to the 1 key (where the tilde usually is on modern keyboards), so he built a little square cardboard tube around it to avoid striking it accidentally... same sort of idea as the Molly shield, which I bet he knew about.    (He also was annoyed that he couldn't tell when the computer was on-- the Apples of that day had no built-in cooling fan, so it was silent-- so he rigged up an LED to let him know when it was on.   To this day, I wonder if he was the first guy to do that...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.