KSP Weekly: Longest Stay on the Moon

SQUAD

6 hours ago, TyrannoFan said:

Wow, so fairings actually look not-awful anymore. I'm actually impressed, they look lovely.

I hope that + the RCS tank indicates some more revamps being done in the future. A lot of the parts desperately need it. Honestly the prospect of updated parts is the thing I'm most excited for at the moment lol

So much so! I would pay for a sort of "mini dlc" that revamped ALL of the old parts to have the new style, assuming they don't update all of the parts with the Making History expansion. I'd also pay for a "mini dlc" that would add stock visual atmospheres to planets, like Stock Visual Enhancements does.

Speaking of switching textures, I have long wished for a feature that would change regular tanks (like the FL-series) from the current white/black to a gold or silver Mylar foil, like the picture of an early Altair render below left.  Or even larger series tanks like Rockomax or Kerbodyne models to make something like in the picture below right of the Copernicus MTV.

163697main_lander_hi.jpg          Orion_docked_to_Mars_Transfer_Vehicle.jpg

And if we were getting really fancy, some stats tweaking could be included that would have pros/cons to justify the switch.  Example: normal style has more mass but stronger and more impact/heat resistant, whereas the foil-wrapped version would be lighter but more susceptible to excessive G-load or shock heating failures (i.e. exploding in KSP :P)

Edited by Raptor9

Are these improved textures part of the 1.4 development or do SQUAD expect us to pay for them again?

But I do love the backside covering "enhanced edition". "Nothing wrong with the first one, but we decided to throw some improvements together and give the to you for FREE, motivated by nothing but deep generosity on our part."

Edited by cfds

Great stuff Squad, really looking forward to the rocket parts overhaul!

@SQUAD, since you guys are working on textures atm, could you please fix/change back the attachment rules for the Mk2 fuel tanks? The current behaviour is inconsistent/unintuitive/buggy and causes asymmetric glitches*:

Incorrect part rotation:

UbEYdIQ.gif

Asymmetric radial attachment behaviour:

oDEDUyT.png

* and there's currently no in-game way to work around this, unlike the original attachment rule associated "problems".

Much obliged!

Edited by Yakuzi

13 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We do have something to show, though. Remember our FL-R25 RCS Fuel Tank? We, this is one of the parts that has been given a fresh new look. Check it out!

tumblr_inline_p0nuvvu7EP1rr2wit_540.png

Sorry to be 'that guy' but the current RCS tank looks a lot better than those odd replacements.. It looks like a low res basket of eggs..

13 hours ago, SQUAD said:

the fairings have also been given a visual revamp, and will, too, have switchable texture configurations, but an image is worth a thousand words, so take a peek.

tumblr_inline_p0nuvsxn0Z1rr2wit_540.png

Also, would it be too much to have a plain white texture for the fairings? And will the current texture still be selectable?

2 hours ago, cfds said:

But I do love the backside covering "enhanced edition". "Nothing wrong with the first one, but we decided to throw some improvements together and give the to you for FREE, motivated by nothing but deep generosity on our part."

Yeah.  It's marketing nonsense, and sort of feels disingenuous toward all the people who gave them money for a broken product. 

@Majorjim! I agree, because it is extremely hard to make a fuel tanks with little round fuel tanks inside, because it turns out very ugly (usually), so that is why for my mod I'm going with a small fuel tank and a service bay for the service module. What I dislike the most is that that yellow stripe is too uniform, and that it looks like something made in a few minutes as a placeholder, while the current one doesn't have that uniformity, which is what makes parts look boring. Take the Structural Fuselage for example. Even though it may seem boring, if you look at it, it is not such an eyesore, as are parts, like the oil drum fuel tank. What i'm trying to say is that even though some realism here and there makes parts look better, using realism as an excuse for laziness doesn't. 

17 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We remind you that both the expansion and the core game will be available in German, Italian, French and Brazilian Portuguese

This    is      AWESOME!  :D

Didn't expect it's coming so early

The new fairing textures are looking great, btw  :wink:

1 hour ago, Nightfury said:

The new fairing textures are looking great, btw

Originally I thought the first thing I would do with the DLC is make a Saturn V, but the more parts I see with that olive drab and orange texture, it might be a Soyuz R-7. :)

And I for one like the new monoprop tank; hoping that's just a teaser for "more possibilities".

For me, I'm indifferent to the new tank. Most of the time anyways it should be in a stack right? So we shouldn't see the new eggbox. I also don't mind both of them. An option to switch between all of the proposed textures would be good, and probably satiate a large number of complaints.

5 hours ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

One question: will the Making History expansion be avalible on Consoles as well?

The Making History expansion is not coming to consoles at this time. Of course that could change in the future, but until Squad/Take-Two announce otherwise it will only be available on PC.

9 hours ago, cfds said:

Are these improved textures part of the 1.4 development or do SQUAD expect us to pay for them again?

This. I sincerely hope the devs at SQUAD paid attention to what happened to the recent Star Wars Battlefront game, because if they did they would know that gamers do not like paying for basic features in a game they already bought.

And I also sincerely hope that this "enhanced edition" is not going in the direction that I think it is. Updates are not cashgrabs. If SQUAD starts charging money for new "enhanced" parts that do essentially nothing other than make our current parts (that we already paid for) look like crap, then what that tells me is that the game devs don't care about their customers anymore, and they just want to squeeze as much cash out of us as possible at the expense of any amount of decency or integrity.

This guy states it pretty well:

7 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Yeah.  It's marketing nonsense, and sort of feels disingenuous toward all the people who gave them money for a broken product. 

Or maybe I've got this all wrong, and I have nothing to worry about. In either case, if anyone at SQUAD is reading this, please take what I am saying seriously. Because in the current state that the gaming industry is in, I am not giving my money to a company that doesn't care about my gaming experience or about giving me a complete, quality product.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

As long as some parts are getting a pass, how about working in those PBR shaders? Because the mods that use them sure look sweet! Or does that cause performance hits or compatibility issues? Can it be toggled?

6APprG3.jpg

(from this thread)

From my understanding of the situation, it would require Squad to pretty much redo every texture from scratch using a whole new method to make full use of the PBR features and get the best results. Since none of the new parts show any signs of using PBR textures I don't imagine they plan on doing that complete remake of all textures anytime soon. But of course only Squad can say for sure.

6 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

This. I sincerely hope the devs at SQUAD paid attention to what happened to the recent Star Wars Battlefront game, because if they did they would know that gamers do not like paying for basic features in a game they already bought.

And I also sincerely hope that this "enhanced edition" is not going in the direction that I think it is. Updates are not cashgrabs. If SQUAD starts charging money for new "enhanced" parts that do essentially nothing other than make our current parts (that we already paid for) look like crap, then what that tells me is that the game devs don't care about their customers anymore, and they just want to squeeze as much cash out of us as possible at the expense of any amount of decency or integrity.

This guy states it pretty well:

Or maybe I've got this all wrong, and I have nothing to worry about. In either case, if anyone at SQUAD is reading this, please take what I am saying seriously. Because in the current state that the gaming industry is in, I am not giving my money to a company that doesn't care about my gaming experience or about giving me a complete, quality product.

I think you're mistaken about those quotes. They're specifically referring to the console re-release being called "Enhanced Edition" when in reality it should be called "Finally Functional Edition."

Those posters were not referring to changes to the PC game, just the marketing spin that Squad/Take-Two are attempting on the console version.

The new console version isn't  "enhananced," unless someone considers a finally finished and actually working product "enhanced."

28 minutes ago, Mako said:

I think you're mistaken about those quotes. They're specifically referring to the console re-release being called "Enhanced Edition" when in reality it should be called "Finally Functional Edition."

Those posters were not referring to changes to the PC game, just the marketing spin that Squad/Take-Two are attempting on the console version.

The new console version isn't  "enhananced," unless someone considers a finally finished and actually working product "enhanced."

I see. Thanks for the clarification. 

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Non-moderating, personal opinion post: 

I am convinced that most people would be happy with the parts Squad makes if Squad just put them out without giving people the change to complain about them first. 

Hmmm..interesting PoV. I can't speak for most people, but if it weren't for Ven's stock revamp I'm not sure I'd play KSP nearly as much. I really enjoy building rockets that look "visually appealing" (totally subjective) and quasi-realistic. For me oil drum fuel tanks and big clunky decouplers are just painful to look at.

To build on what you said though...I haven't seen anything come out since 1.0 that has been a problem, the modeling has been really great. It's some of the legacy parts that need work. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.