[1.9+] Thor Tech v0.9.6.8 ~ [Aug 07, 2020]

JadeOfMaar

29 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Why can't they just use the stock version?

The models are really old and weren't made with their own animation that could be supported by the stock module. FS was used because it virtually adds the animation and can be applied to anything.

I'm contemplating making the reactors require radiators by default. Currently they do if NF Electric is installed, and this is 80% to offset some of the wild OP that's creeping in, (I blame the two people I consulted on this, one of whom uses BDArmory :p ), and 20% because I'm finally going somewhere in a casual playthrough and enjoying dealing with things and nuclear reactors. I've had it like this due to the messy nature of KSP's part heat system and things seem to cooperate more with Nertea's mods around.

I'm also considering bring over this Mk2 WarpJet engine from The Spice but I can't decide on its secondary mode without Spice installed. It could be the one engine that properly answers the RAPIER, being a WarpJet and a SupraLOX rocket. Its rocket thrust may be nerfed a fair bit as it carries the highest Isp among WarpJets (or rather, among Spice Drives that are usable in atmosphere).

Appropriately its name is the "Argo" ...which totally isn't a play on moon with the same name in Galileo's Planet Pack.

77ERGh8.jpg

Also, the Ram Air Turbines still don't work in atmospheres without Oxygen. Gahhhh. :mad: I fixed it but according to GitHub I unfixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hoping for a superior radiator to add to this mod and it seems that finally I have it. And its name is "Code Blue" for the use of Water (or WBI Coolant), not EC. And it finally gives purpose to the Water tank option in DS Core's pressure tanks for Thor Tech and not for whatever other mod that may have use for Water in spaceplanes.

The Code Blue is designed upon the concept fuel-fed transpirator system which consumes main fuel or cryogenic substances to disperse heat faster and serve as a form of ablator during re-entry or the late ascent phase.

Code Blue has a new catch-all resource which is converted from supported resources and which is used for the radiator function and as ablator. It defies the rule that radiators have poor dissipation in space due to near zero ambient mass for them to transfer their heat into. The idea is that it effectively releases steam into the void, and its accumulated heat with the steam so that it cools nearby parts much faster, and therefore, eventually the whole ship, except for other radiators that have been active and are storing heat as well.

If it was possible (or it is but simply waiting to be explored) this could be made into a steam engine in space. But its thrust and Isp would likely be on the level of the stock RCS thrusters.

The Code Blue is incredibly powerful, able to draw 4 MW of heat into itself (it needs to be OP so that its effect means something. Though its stats are very high, it will rarely reach the height of those stats so it's actually still weak most of the time.) but only while its catch-all resource is being refilled so you can leave the radiator module on and not worry about it directly draining the Water when you don't want it to. It is a mid-game heat control device and should be accessible before Shieldnir, and doesn't install ablator module into everything like Shieldnir does.

ChW8xIs.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I've brought over the Mk2 WarpJet engine from The Spice (such that there's two of it now if you install Thor Tech and The Spice). Its Isp is higher than the Japiers and any other WarpJet or SupraLOX plasma rocket, but it has its limits. It will be relatively weak(er) in very thick atmosphere and its EC demand is overall higher. I've also moved the Shieldnir parts from the aerodynamics region in the CTT to the radiators row along with the radial heat exchanger and the new "Code Blue" radiator. Shieldnir is at the far end of it.

Deep Sky Core 3.0.1

• Updated LOX distiller function
  • Added WBI part tips!
  • Fixed RBM intake drag cube for real
  • Adjusted intake speeds and areas
  • Added missing FX for 2.5m Razor
  • Added Rescale! support for Argo WarpJet engines

Thor Tech 0.9.6

• Found missing checkForOxygen parameter in RATs
  • Buffed Shieldnir effect to some categories of parts
  • Added WBI part tips!
  • Made Kemonade Turbofans lighter
  • Fixed a hole in Shieldnir patch (many fuel tank parts still use category "Propulsion")
  • Added enhanced radiator; ablates supported resources for superior performance but does not use EC
  • Reduced heat production in 2.5m Razor
  • Moved radiators and Shieldnir to heat management row in CTT
  • Added Mk2 engine (RAPIER equivalent) "The Argo" with greater performance in thin atmo, lesser performance in thick atmo
    • Updated engine texture
    • Blue marker is Thor Tech edition, Orange marker is Spice edition

UWq4Mg4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 11:58 AM, Grigs1784 said:

First off, I'm very much enjoying the add-on. Thanks for all your work!

I discovered it through CKAN and was well into a career save before I realized that CKAN isn't installing it correctly. A good chunk of the parts just weren't in the game and I didn't even realize it. Turns out CKAN currently installs it into GameData/ThorTech rather than the intended GameData/DeepSky/ThorTech. CKAN also misses DeepSky Core as a pre-req (though it is available on CKAN and does seem to install fine). Looks like this prevents some models from loading and parts never show up, even in sandbox. So in case anyone else is playing through from a CKAN install and missing, for example, the Razor VTOL WarpJets you're going to have to either move the files or download the add-on manually. Or maybe it's something wrong with my CKAN.

Still an issue... If i didn't see this post i would still be looking for the missing parts-Good job! :wink:

On 3/23/2018 at 9:58 AM, Grigs1784 said:

I discovered it through CKAN and was well into a career save before I realized that CKAN isn't installing it correctly. A good chunk of the parts just weren't in the game and I didn't even realize it. Turns out CKAN currently installs it into GameData/ThorTech rather than the intended GameData/DeepSky/ThorTech. CKAN also misses DeepSky Core as a pre-req (though it is available on CKAN and does seem to install fine). Looks like this prevents some models from loading and parts never show up, even in sandbox. So in case anyone else is playing through from a CKAN install and missing, for example, the Razor VTOL WarpJets you're going to have to either move the files or download the add-on manually.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@HebaruSan I could do with a little help here. :) Thor Tech's netkan apparently still needs adjusting.

Should be fixed now. Anybody with it already installed presumably needs to uninstall and re-install after clicking Refresh.

On 5/21/2018 at 12:58 AM, HebaruSan said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Should be fixed now. Anybody with it already installed presumably needs to uninstall and re-install after clicking Refresh.

No thank you for taking the time to work out the kinks for everyone else's fun!

Though I think it's still just a bit off. CKAN (mine at least) now is installing the files to DeepSky/ThorTech/ThorTech as seen in this screenshot

mUex7bs.png

I'm no expert in CKAN's syntax but maybe this:

"find": "ThorTech",

"install_to": "GameData/DeepSky/ThorTech"

Should just be?:

"find": "ThorTech",

"install_to": "GameData/DeepSky"

2 hours ago, Grigs1784 said:

Though I think it's still just a bit off. CKAN (mine at least) now is installing the files to DeepSky/ThorTech/ThorTech as seen in this screenshot

I'm no expert in CKAN's syntax but maybe this:

Should just be?:

Yeah, I think you're right, good catch. We'll have to wait till SpaceDock is back up to confirm the fix though.

• 4 weeks later...

Aww yeah. :cool: New models for the Ascendant VTOL intake + engine. It's becoming even more useful with new built-in RCS as powerful as the existing Thor Tech RCS blocks...Maybe more powerful.

Parts are untextured right now.

uaYInp9.jpg

cDE7x4n.jpg

Spoiler

M1VLQVx.png

Just now, RocketScientist said:

Whenever I play with Deep Sky Core, it gets stuck loading DeepSky/00DeepSky/Parts/Intakes/Intake_circular/ds00_intcirc

Community Resource Pack is a requirement (for the IntakeAtm resource used by all my intakes and many of the engines). Either that or (if you use the Wild Blue mods, be sure to set its mode (back) to Classic Stock after installing my mods or updating Wild Blue mods.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Community Resource Pack is a requirement (for the IntakeAtm resource used by all my intakes and many of the engines). Either that or (if you use the Wild Blue mods, be sure to set its mode (back) to Classic Stock after installing my mods or updating Wild Blue mods.

Wow, I feel stupid now. I've been deleting files and going back to 1.3.1 to see if another version would work for half an hour, and it was this simple. Lmao

I have this error on classicprop and classicturbofan:

[EXC 09:59:50.434] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalActuators.WBIPropSpinner.rotatePropellersRunning ()
	KerbalActuators.WBIPropSpinner.FixedUpdate ()

using KSP 1.4.4 and KerbalActuators_1_4_6 Firespitter 7.9.0

2 hours ago, Lazerwulf said:

How do I use/ access burst mode from my Warpjet? I can get to the plasma speed band just fine on batteries, apu, and mill power. Also, why do they use a different air intake resource? Not complaining, just curious.

Look in the Electrical category for "DS Burst Mode Charger" which looks like a radial parachute. It aggressively charges BurstPower from ElectricCharge (representing a capacitor mechanism) and stores a lot in itself so you'll have a hard time trying to support it on batteries. The same way you switch modes on the Rapier or Panther is how you activate Burst Mode.

The purpose of Burst Mode is the same as the purpose of overclocking a CPU or GPU. You already have a very powerful engine but situations arise where you need even more power (such as your ship becomes much more draggy than you expected or you need to pull up in a tight spot with a very heavy plane). The option is there to allow you to overcome these situations. The option is also there for players who just like speed and power... Like me. :D 

Bust Mode uses BurstPower instead of ElectricCharge and cannot be throttled below roughly 50%. It behaves somewhat like a solid rocket and only stops when you change mode or flameout on something.

WarpJets (and all the Thor Tech engines, actually) use IntakeAtm because this represents "any atmosphere at all" and is not confined to the presence of Oxygen. Not every air-breathing engine needs Oxygen in order to function, and WarpJets are one such class of engine. They will work on any planet with atmosphere and in any atmosphere pressure. They will work where the Juno, Whiplash and the Rapier cannot work.

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I have this error on classicprop and classicturbofan:

[EXC 09:59:50.434] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalActuators.WBIPropSpinner.rotatePropellersRunning ()
	KerbalActuators.WBIPropSpinner.FixedUpdate ()

using KSP 1.4.4 and KerbalActuators_1_4_6 Firespitter 7.9.0

Yeah......... I gave up on that.... Ignore it.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yeah......... I gave up on that.... Ignore it.

it seems to be the "switch to the blurred rotor/mesh rotor" or something like that.

changing this:

blurredRotorName =

for this:

blurredRotorName = turbine

seems to correct the issue, and the rotor do not disappear anymore

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.