[WIP] Unknown Resourcefulness 0.01 (2017/12/28) - A very early work in progress assortment of parts.

USB4

The goal of this is just to make parts that I have wanted that just may be useful to someone else.

Currently:

• 4 Variants of a 50 caliber long recoil machine gun. Why:
    • I like how long recoil guns look when they fire with the very visible mechanisms moving
    • I like low part count parts that combine multiple things together for quick assembly.

The four variants are wing mounted, wing mounted with a magazine, surface mounted (shrouded) with and without a magazine. This is not based on any real machine gun but the barrel and mechanisms are, I think, within reason as I tried to follow typical specs/barrel sizing while modeling. The magazines also hold what I measured to be a to scale amount of ammunition. For sound these use the base BDArmory sounds. This needs BDArmory to work

• 2 Variants of aesthetically different gun pods. Why:
    • I like low part count parts that combine multiple things together for quick assembly.
    • These may eventually become turrets

These very roughly follow realistic sizes. They come with ammunition. (If you can guess, I made these before the previous ones.). This needs BDArmory to work

• 3 Variants of BDArmory Combination Command Boxes. Why:
    • To combine 3/4 frequently needed parts into one
    • To have to closest thing to  a laser I can make

These have AI flight modules, Weapon Management modules, Flight Command modules, Solar panels, Batteries Lights (lasers?!), Very Small Reaction Wheels Radios and Small RTGs. Still trying to figure out how to orient the bdarmory modules correctly in relationship to the command module. This needs BDArmory to work

Edit: 0.01 Update: Added slimmer AI Command box that looks far more stealthy/sleek.

• 1 Small Single Shaft 1 mode thrust direction changing turbojet fin (Based loosely on the TJ100(Tweakscalable)) Why:
    • Ive wanted a small drone sized jet engine that does not need anything but itself to produce thrust/steering. (Intake, directional thrust, fin, small fuel tank, engine included).

This has about 5 minutes of fuel at sea level, 15 degrees of articulation and has no thrust vectoring but instead acts as a fin. the engine itself occupies a 27cm by 27cm by 64 cm box (like the real life PBSTJ100) (very slightly off angle at the moment, to be fixed ). This needs no other mods to work. Has turbine rotation animation, along with heat animation. Placed in career mode to the same place as the smallest available jet.

Edit: 0.00201 Update to the UR100c TurboJet fin. It will function more like a typical fin, and have a far more reasonable aerodynamic effect  for its size. The animations were also updated with more orangey red lighting from the engine heating up, and an animation that visibly goes the correct way. Turns out it was never off angle and stock fins also have a similar effect. Nevertheless its improved. It has also been edited to work with Tweakscale (Recommended as outside of the early stages of career mode, these engines are quite weak without scaling (given the real life analogs are made with small planes or rc planes in mind)).

Spoiler

Edit: 0.01 Update to UR100c TurboJet fin. It now has a drage cube that better reflects its shape. Ive noticed its more powerful than the real life engine as in ksp itd be pretty near to useless if my calculations are right. Its not too far off though, so tweakscale is still something you'll want to use with this most likely. Im considering making a bigger one.

• 1 Electric Ducted fan ((Tweakscalable)). Why:
    • I like electric ducted fans, and wanted one I could tweak to feel more realistic and like the look of.

This is not based on any particular real world fan and does not have any special tweaks to work in ksp. Its finished mostly. I just need to add sound.

Edit: 0.01 Update: This has been added. It relies on community resource pack with intakeatm to work. Balance could use work. Both this and the mono prop engine use KAX sound assets.

• 1 Atmosphere breathing mono propellant powered 0.625/half size piston engine (Tweakscalable).  Why:

This is pretty much done. Modelling is complete, variable pitch propellers work along with reversing thrust. All I need to do like the electric engine is finish sound. 

Edit: 0.01 Update: This has been added. It works without intake atm for the time being. It still provides no thrust without atmosphere however so that is good. Im considering using firespitter for both this and the ducted fan.

• Single Piece Landing gear. (scalable) Why:

This is really nowhere close to being made. It will be using KSP wheel (so that it can support having more than 1 wheel collider) and while the model is done, setup will probably take a while even with a helpful example from the maker of kspwheel (Shadowmage) .

Edit: 0.01 Update: Its been made! Its designed differently than the first design, but it works completely. Im actually pretty happy with how its turned out. It uses tank steering and looks a whole lot more rugged than the first iteration. I plan to make another one with a more typical arrangement as well. Thanks to Shadowmage for answering probably too many questions about this.

It uses KSPWheel as well as Kerbal Foundry sound assets.

• One Part y axis balanced dual wheel landing gear. Why:
    • To have a small steerable landing gear piece that has functional wheel colliders for each wheel, meaning a vehicle can be balanced on just 2 of them.

Planned:

• Single Piece Landing gear (No tank steer).  Why:
    • To match a more typical landing gear look.
    • Variety
  • Turbo fan jet engines (With animations than go to 90 degrees for vertical takeoffs). Why:
    • Making vertical takeoffs easier
  • Electric lift fan (With animations than go to 90 degrees for vertical takeoffs). Why:
    • Making vertical takeoffs easier
  • Add Fire Spitter to props/fans. Why:
    • Better matching rotations
    • Making the variable pitch propellers on the monoprop piston engine function better.
    • Rotation affected by air speed
  • Landing gear enhancements (Making the small single axle menu have full customizability (difficult now due to having 3 real wheel colliders)). Why:
    • Allowing the same customizability as would be on normal ksp wheels with a single part that balances on 2 wheel collider
  • Add to CKAN
  • Fix shading on parts of the 50 cal machine guns, particularly the outer housing.   0.011 Its fixed. Not perfectly, as I think that would require changing the model,  and that would require re doing a whole lot of the setup in unity after fixing it in blender. Ive just made things generally less shiny/rough.
  • Put this on the actual addon release page since thats basically what this is really. I have posted this there now. I'l probably just keep updating this main post and linking to it from that one with small updates, issues etc. Just stuff that I think would clutter up the release page.

Link to SpaceDock Download

Dependencies, recommended and included mods:

Included

Included

Not Included. Latest Downloads available from the official Github Releases page.

Recommended

License:

Spoiler

All Parts related to BD Armory are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.

Both KSP Wheel and Community Resource Pack, have their own licenses.

All Other Parts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada License.

Feedback is appreciated. Ive never done this before and am clueless. If anything is off, and you know how to make it better, Im open to advice.

Also thanks to Shadowmage  and Spannermonkey for their assistance with  KSPwheel and BDArmory Continued respectively. They've both been extremely helpful with questions, examples and advice. Also thanks to all others who have been helpful here and there.

Edited by USB4
Update

2 hours ago, Abpilot said:

congrats on release, really well made mod, I can tell you have worked really hard on this!:cool:

Thanks. I know it looks really basic so I was debating whether or not to even post about it. It took longer than I thought it would just to get here and I havent even done the hard parts I think.

•  Added Speed Tube UR100C Turbojetfin based loosely on real life PBS TJ100

Its a little bit off angle. Not visibly  but the fins seem to have slightly different forces (As in you wont notice any weird turning or reactions, but the aerodynamic view (F12) will show one pulling slightly more one way than the other), but everything in unity is at 90 degree angles, so that'll probably need a tweak of some sort If I can figure out whats wrong with it.

Edit: Update to the UR100c TurboJet fin. It will function more like a typical fin, and have a far more reasonable aerodynamic effect  for its size. The animations were also updated with more orangey red lighting from the engine heating up, and an animation that visibly goes the correct way. Turns out it was never off angle and stock fins also have a similar effect. Nevertheless its improved.

Edited by USB4

• 2 weeks later...

0.01: Fairly large update for me at least:

• Added single part landing gear with 4 wheels, suspension and tank steering. Enables you to land on just one part. (pretty happy I finally got this working)
  • Added single part 2 wheel landing gear with steering. This has 2 real wheel colliders so it will balance on the y axis.
  • Added monopropellant piston engine for escapades in oxygen lacking atmospheres.
  • Added electric ducted fan for the same reasons as the piston engine.
  • Added slimmer AI Command box that looks far more sleek.

• Small change to shading of 50 calibers to fix lighting.

• Fixed small mistake in AIBox configs/wheel sounds
Edited by USB4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.