How do I texture

On 12/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@Jack5.exe OK, I can try, but you need to show me the UV Map, and wanted result, because without a destination, you'll never get anywhere close.

what is the UV map?and what i want is a good texture that you can change in flight for burned command pods and heat shields

2 hours ago, Jack5.exe said:

what is the UV map?and what i want is a good texture that you can change in flight for burned command pods and heat shields

I dont have a full explanation, but a uv map is basically mapping where the 2d texture you have for a section or object wraps onto your 3d section/object.

So for example, if we were to UV unwrap a cube, youd see 6 identical squares for all 6 sides, and the texture over each part of the uv map would match exactly to them.

Heres a character that has been UV unwrapped:

Spoiler

2WkpVFo.jpg

Edited by USB4

19 hours ago, Jack5.exe said:

@Jack5.exe To texture something, you need a model to texture, and you UV unwrap it. You can give me a 3d model in .blend format, and I can show you what to do. Still, please refer to the wonderful tutorial by @Beale 

In very simple terms, a mesh is like somethings skeleton and, the texture is like the skin over it.

Or possibly a seasonal description, It's a little like wrapping a present. you have the box which is the mesh and the wrapping paper (texture) has to be folded around it in a way where everything lines up.

Usually, you make the mesh first and then the texture. Since you need to see the mesh or the bones of the object to figure out how to put a texture over it. You may want to look at a tutorial series.

Edited by SpaceMouse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.