CommNet just stops working

A lot of the time in my Career save, randomly all of my vessels lose their connection and I can no longer launch unmanned vessels - they have no connection even at the launch pad.

Logs just show errors like this (output and ksp.log respectfully):

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModule.ApplyUpgradeNode (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 appliedUps, .ConfigNode node, Boolean doLoad) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModuleDataTransmitter.CommPowerUnloaded (.ProtoPartModuleSnapshot mSnap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetVessel.UpdateComm () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetVessel.OnNetworkPreUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNode.NetworkPreUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].PreUpdateNodes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].Rebuild () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.Rebuild () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetNetwork.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[EXC 14:07:01.499] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].get_Item (Int32 index)
    PartModule.ApplyUpgradeNode (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 appliedUps, .ConfigNode node, Boolean doLoad)
    ModuleDataTransmitter.CommPowerUnloaded (.ProtoPartModuleSnapshot mSnap)
    CommNet.CommNetVessel.UpdateComm ()
    CommNet.CommNetVessel.OnNetworkPreUpdate ()
    CommNet.CommNode.NetworkPreUpdate ()
    CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].PreUpdateNodes ()
    CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].Rebuild ()
    CommNet.CommNetwork.Rebuild ()
    CommNet.CommNetNetwork.Update ()

What is causing this?

Edited by _Augustus_

• 4 weeks later...

@_Augustus_ I get this too, be reassured you are not alone (BTW, I was once an active telescope maker - great stuff).

It happens apparently randomly after about 2 to 20 hours of playing and I have not been able to determine steps to reproduce. The entire commnet just suddenly goes down. It has been happening for some months and it still happens.

All unmanned vessels become uncontrollable and all comms lines disappear from both the map view and Commnet: Network in the tracking station view. I get the same log spam. I have found only one way to restore the commnet and that is to close down and restart the game completely. I would love to know what is causing it. I see nothing of note in the log at the time of spam initiation.

Is this a Kerbol EMP storm / coronal mass ejection simulation? :P

Edited by Kaa253

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Touch wood, but it seems like this might have finally stopped happening. I recently updated a few mods together and one of them might be the prime suspect because it had antenna parts but I am not going to openly name it (pm me if you need to know) as I have no conclusive evidence.

Anyone having this bug I recommend you check everyone of your mods and update them all to the latest releases.

Nope, its still going in 1.4.2. Had a vessel that wouldnt connect to CommNet on the launchpad, neither with a ProbesPlus Antenna, nor with a stock Communotron 16S just an hour ago, with all my mods as UpToDate as can be...

Maybe its time to give RemoteTech a try....

Edited by Tiankay

Would be great if someone having this issue could post a log. Have no idea you are using RSS, RemoteTech, custom antennas or have Custom barn kit installed. A log could eliminate having a ton of Q&A and possibly find a solution much quicker.

• 9 months later...

from my testing, the only error that shows up in the log is this one, and boy does it ever bloat my poor output log

whats really odd is that it takes a while for it to start, normally a few hours of play, then it suddenly fails.  its quite a mysterious bug

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at PartModule.ApplyUpgradeNode (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 appliedUps, .ConfigNode node, Boolean doLoad) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleDataTransmitter.CommPowerUnloaded (.ProtoPartModuleSnapshot mSnap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.CommNetVessel.UpdateComm () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.CommNetVessel.OnNetworkPreUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.CommNode.NetworkPreUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].PreUpdateNodes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].Rebuild () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.Rebuild () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CommNet.CommNetNetwork.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

heres my output log, i suspect its something to do with antenna upgrades, though i cant make out what its doing
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbrrwjdea8xikt5/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by lunaris69
adding info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.