Arianespace launch thread

insert_name

• 1 month later...
Just now, Canopus said:

So when they are talking about "all electric satellites" they only mean propulsion. Attitude control is still bipropellant?

I think so. Why else would they fill an “all-electric” satellite with hypergolics?

30 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I think so. Why else would they fill an “all-electric” satellite with hypergolics?

Thats why i'm asking. Strange to insist on calling them all electric then.

Edit: the Answer seems to be that other satellites, like Al Yah 3 on this launch, use both Hypergolic and Hall Effect thrusters for Propulsion where as SES-14 uses a Hall effect thruster for circularization and stationkeeping.

Edited by Canopus

Possible failure? There was no telemetry after S1 Sep and still waiting for confirmation of Yahsat sep.

Ouch. Looks like they lost contact moments after S2 ignition and now they're looking for the sats, trying to figure out if they made it or reentered.

Potentially the first Ariane failure since 2004, I believe.

20 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Possible failure? There was no telemetry after S1 Sep and still waiting for confirmation of Yahsat sep.

Ouch. Looks like they lost contact moments after S2 ignition and now they're looking for the sats, trying to figure out if they made it or reentered.

Potentially the first Ariane failure since 2004, I believe.

2018 has been a bad year for rockets it seems