Arianespace launch thread

insert_name

4 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Definitely a bad way to end a day. Say they only lost communication with the stage, would it continue its mission on it's own and still release the payloads? 

Canopus,

That's my understanding; Ariane does all of these things automatically. But if S2 never actually ignited or there was a failure that took out the computer, then who knows?
 This is an anomaly if not an outright failure, so there will have to be an investigation and resolution. This could slip JWST's launch.

Best,
-Slashy

4 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

So, did they get a confirmation of the first sat separation or not? Because the host said they did.

sh1pman,

I think he was just following the flight plan animation. There was no telemetry at the time, so the vehicle wouldn't have been able to confirm that. Basically, we can't assume anything from beyond the moment telemetry dropped out.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Just now, GoSlash27 said:

sh1pman,

I think he was just following the flight plan animation. There was no telemetry at the time, so the vehicle wouldn't have been able to confirm that.

Best,
-Slashy

Yea, but I’m pretty sure there was something along the lines of “and we have a confirmation of the satellite separation...”

The stream is down, no way to rewatch and check, oh well.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Yea, but I’m pretty sure there was something along the lines of “and we have a confirmation of the satellite separation...”

works here?

Edited by cypher_00

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

Yeah, he said that. He "confirmed" a bunch of steps in the flight, but throughout all of that stuff, the telemetry data at the bottom of the screen was blank.

Best,
-Slashy

7 minutes ago, cypher_00 said:

woks here?

At 41:20 he says “and apparently we have a confirmation, first good news of the evening”

Note to self: never trust apparent confirmations.

Edited by sh1pman

You can see at 23:28 when the telemetry dropped out.

The yellow X and yellow telemetry line in the upper right hand corner disappear, and the flight data at the bottom disappears. Any "confirmations" beyond this point are invalid.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

The whole thing stops sending stuff down T+09:28 after engine start (~ +09:20 after liftoff), it's just around when they should be switching to the relay station over Africa...

It's still 3 hour after, maybe someone go get DSN in contact ?

4 minutes ago, cypher_00 said:

Telemetry cut outs at that altitute are pretty common and the information we see is not the same as they have in flight control ...

I dont see any problems..

Well,
#1 it never came back and #2 ArianeSpace confirmed that they lost telemetry when we did. It is common to temporarily lose telemetry when switching tracking stations, but it is not common to never reestablish it. Also, contact was lost in the middle of Natal's hunting patch, not the edge.
 Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Just in:

The SES 14 and Al Yah 3 satellites are in orbit after tonight's launch, sources tell Spaceflight Now.

The SES 14 spacecraft carries an all-electric propulsion system that could give that satellite an advantage in overcoming any orbital shortfall. The xenon-fueled thrusters are more efficient the conventional liquid-fueled engines.

Al Yah 3's main orbital adjust engine is a hydrazine-fueled thruster more commonly used on commercial communications satellites.

But yeah they where not sure if it was a succes for a bit there...

Here is the statement Arianespace chief executive Stephane Israel:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I come to give you some information because we have had an anomaly on this launch. Indeed, we lost contact with the launcher a few seconds after ignition of the upper stage. At that time, we can consider that the upper composite and the satellite as being (inaudible). But as I said, we lost contact. Up to now, our customers do not have contact with the satellite. We need now some time to know if they have been separated, and where they are exactly ,to better analyze the consequences of this anomaly."
"I want to present my deepest excuses to our customers, who have entrusted us one more time. We know that there is no launch with no risk. We know that launch is always difficult, and tonight Ariane 5 has had an anomaly, so lets take time now to better understand the situation of the satellites."
"Arianespace, in full transparency, will come back to you to provide you with some more information as soon as we have them. I apologize on behalf of Arianespace."
Edited by cypher_00

Just point out the track record of Ariane Space.. They have been launching satellites succesfuly for so long now 1 failure is not going to hurt them. General media is always looking for sensation, a failed launch is "better" news for them but in the big picture it doesnt matter much. Government agencies know this i would hope.

Updated: 01/26/2018 01:55 24liveblog-default.png Stephen Clark

With the benefit of its electric thruster orbit-raising package, the SES 14 telecom satellite with NASA's GOLD science instrument is expected to be able to reach its planned position in geostationary orbit.

The status of the Al Yah 3 satellite, which has a conventional chemical orbit-raising engine, has not been confirmed.

Nothing is sure yet it could still be a succes..

Ah like i said:

Arianespace has issued a statement on tonight's mission, confirming both satellites are on orbit and continuing their missions.

"The launcher's liftoff took place on January 25, 2018, at 720 p.m. (French Guiana time). A few seconds after ignition of the upper stage, the second tracking station located in Natal, Brazil, did not acquire the launcher telemetry. This lack of telemetry lasted throughout the rest of powered flight.
Subsequently, both satellites were confirmed separated, acquired and they are on orbit. SES-14 and Al Yah 3 are communicating with their respective control centers. Both missions are continuing."

So the lesson for today: Loss of telemetry does not equal catastrophic failure..
Edited by cypher_00

1 hour ago, cypher_00 said:

So the lesson for today: Loss of telemetry does not equal catastrophic failure..

Yeah, I absolutely reject this notion. This launch may end up being just fine, and I certainly hope it is... but losing telemetry during most of the evolutions is *definitely* a big deal. 

Best,
-Slashy

Loss of telemetry could be anything from a couple a doves releasing their excrement on the Natal dish reciever to some sensors losing power during the last stage burn..

The rocket and everything on it is programmed to do everything autonomously so while its not normal is does not have to be a disaster.

We will know more tomorrow but all the sources i can find say the launch of the satellites itself did not fail..