Arianespace launch thread

insert_name

I like the external "CGI" representation. I find it a lot more interesting to see what the vehicle is doing rather than watching a limited view of a low resolution Camera where half the screen is white Rocket and the other is blinding light or complete darkness.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, Canopus said:

I like the external "CGI" representation. I find it a lot more interesting to see what the vehicle is doing rather than watching a limited view of a low resolution Camera where half the screen is white Rocket and the other is blinding light or complete darkness.

Nah, I hate the cgi on all launches, not least because the CGI is invariably lousy. On YouTube, they could easily have multiple channels (SpaceX launches do), with the data on one, camera on the other. Alternately, split the screen if the camera res is low (no need to use more pixels than the native res), with both visible.

I like camera views because it's just cool to realize that you are literally watching something reach orbit in real time, along for the ride. I show launches to kids whenever possible, and 100% of them so far are utterly disinterested in the crappy animations, too. The point of live coverage is to interest people. Compare the viewership of SpaceX launches to others, and see why any viewership numbers are different...

5 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

That rover is just Arianespace drumming up interest, isn't it? Just in case I missed a big announcement! 

The rover is just a possible payload i think, the real point of interest is the SEP tug that Arianespace already hinted at earlier.

2 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

That rover is just Arianespace drumming up interest, isn't it? Just in case I missed a big announcement! 

You didn't. Maybe ESA does have plans for Moon exploration, but they are in nebulous stage for now.

• 3 weeks later...

Presentation of the next Soyuz 2.1b/Fregat-M flight:

If everything is going right, METOP C should be launched in three days.

Funny points:

- The last two METOP were launched atop Soyuz-2.1a/Fregat & Fregat-M from Tyuratam, in 2006 and 2012 respectively.

- There is no precise data about the mass of C (given around 4200 kg), but METOP A is 4244 kg, and B is 4085 kg.

When your company is multinational, but your are using 12-hours and MMMM-DD-YYYY formats, even if none of your shareholding countries are using them. ___ Arianespace.

Anyway, we got some clear shots of Soyuz 2.1b on its way to the ELS:

vs19_02.jpg

vs19_08.jpg

vs19_11.jpg

vs19_15.jpg

MetOp-C_in_launch_tower_node_full_image_

• 2 weeks later...

T-49 hours for Mohammed VI-B, the next (and final) Moroccan high-resolution optical reconnaissance satellite:

VV13-launchkit-cover.jpg

Just like the first one, it is based on the "not-so-new" Pléiades models from Astrium.

Five days ago:

11-9-2018-VV13-1.jpg 11-9-2018-VV13-2.jpg

If everything is normal, the liftoff should occur at 01:42 UTC on Wednesday. It will be the 13th flight, and... the 10th happening at night.