Arianespace launch thread

insert_name

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

Anyone else wondering what all those little flecks were that came out just before booster sep? Looked like the right side booster flashed a bit as it happened too.

You get bigger chunks of solid propellant coming out when they're running out of fuel and the internal pressure drops.

2 minutes ago, Reactordrone said:

You get bigger chunks of solid propellant coming out when they're running out of fuel and the internal pressure drops.

Huh, never seen that happen on other launches before, but makes sense. I almost thought they blew a nozzle out like ATK did a few weeks back.

5 hours ago, tater said:

3 year project spending 3 million $.

Half a fairing’s worth of work to make some PowerPoint rockets that will look pointless 3 years from now.

Yeah, but the 2nd stage engine fairing doubles as the grid fin! 

Anyways I’m not convinced that Starship will wipe out the demand for midsize launchers- especially if the commercial satellite paradigm is shifting from big GEO sats to hordes of LEO small sats. 

48 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Yeah, but the 2nd stage engine fairing doubles as the grid fin! 

I actually think that's a cool concept, though unsure how that works from a heat load standpoint.

48 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Anyways I’m not convinced that Starship will wipe out the demand for midsize launchers- especially if the commercial satellite paradigm is shifting from big GEO sats to hordes of LEO small sats. 

I am pretty convinced. If it works at any level of reuse at all, other rockets are obsolete. Europe can still launch the old way if they have to to support Arianespace, but they will be paying out the nose by comparison.

• 2 weeks later...